Tarantino - Auteur?

Started by nelski, September 17, 2003, 12:33:43 PM

nelski

hi everyone, im doing a project on auteur theory at college and ive chosen to do a close study of Tarantino...

So what does everyone think? does tarantino deserve the title of 'auteur' or not? personally i think that he doesn't, because he relies too heavily on his production team when making films. I think that his production team have sigificant enough influence on his films for themselves to be 'auteur' as a body/ group.

I would be really greatful for everyone's input and thoughts on the subject.

Cheers  :-D

SoNowThen

Yes, he is one of the best examples of the new American auteurs, along with PTA and Wes Anderson.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

nelski

8)  , care to expand at all?

also, does anyone know of any good websites/ resources where i can obtain people's reviews and opinions of tarantino? or just general stuff on him

SoNowThen

okay: he writes, directs, and has a lot of say in the final cut of his films.

his style is unique in that, after watching even a couple minutes one can recognize it is Tarantino.

Of his three films to date, all are washed in a particular recognition of pop culture (60's-70's).

Don't look at it as Auteur being "does and controls everything". Look at it as the author of his products. Even though it wouldn't seem that they are "quiet, personal films", when put together his body of work does paint a very personal picture about the man, his tastes, his thoughts, and his sense of humor.

Maybe we should coin the term "neo-auteur".

I haven't watched QT movies in awhile, or I would try to do a theme connection. But I'm not sure if there is one... maybe someone else can help...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

coffeebeetle

Auteur theory: (in film theory) a theory that the director is the chief creator of a film and gives it an individual style that is evident in all aspects of the finished product.   --Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged

I have a problem with this whole concept.  In Tarantino's case, who's to say that he influences the production team or the other way around?  We're not there so we don't really know, do we?  

Maybe I'm a dumbass and am not grasping the idea well enough, but it seems to me that nearly every film has the mark of a director's personal vision, so can we narrow the scope of auteruism down to a few select directors?  Just food for thought...not trying to be an asshole.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

coffeebeetle

Quote from: SoNowThenokay: he writes, directs, and has a lot of say in the final cut of his films.

his style is unique in that, after watching even a couple minutes one can recognize it is Tarantino.

Of his three films to date, all are washed in a particular recognition of pop culture (60's-70's).

Don't look at it as Auteur being "does and controls everything". Look at it as the author of his products. Even though it wouldn't seem that they are "quiet, personal films", when put together his body of work does paint a very personal picture about the man, his tastes, his thoughts, and his sense of humor.

Maybe we should coin the term "neo-auteur".

I haven't watched QT movies in awhile, or I would try to do a theme connection. But I'm not sure if there is one... maybe someone else can help...

Now that you've put it in that context, I can swallow auteurism a bit easier.  I was writing before you posted, so sorry if my last post seemed ridiculous.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

nelski

not asshole like at all, in fact quite interesting...

yeah his films provide a mark of his personal vision, but is it realy his vision, or a vision that is/was his, but has been carried by his team for a while, as they become him, if you know what i mean, which you probably dont, but hey

coffeebeetle

That's exactly what I mean.  It is their "baby" after all; they've all had their hands on the project, so to call it solely Tarantino's own creation is almost rude.

SoNowThen

You can't just take the Auteur thoery from an American dictionary. It's such a complex (and sadly subjective) theory, and it's constantly changing. It translates to "author" from the French word, so I guess the first step is really defining what exactly Author means in context of a film.

Read "les politiques de autuers" by Truffaut, who somewhat originated the idea (as we know it) with the influence of Bazin. Then read some Sarris stuff, he's the American who most strongly propogated the theory.

If you give me a night or two, I'll find one of his essays I have at home.

This "control of everything" definition is why it's such a hated thoery nowadays. It was a misconception that that was what auteurism meant.

SoNowThen

Sorry for the double post:

I sometimes divide things into two categories, both for good films.

There's the auteur films by guys I mentioned, who make the story their own (whether it's an original script, or they make it up during shooting or whatever) that carries a very unique visual style and jumble of personal themes that can be traced through ALL their work. So that their movies are essentially one continuing essay on how they view life/love/fiction etc

then there's the Movies By Comittee. A bunch of great journeymen coming together and utilizing all their talents to make a mosaic piece whereby ones job never spills over into another group, but each does his own tiny part. Such as The Third Man, a brilliant film.

coffeebeetle

Fascinating.  Thanks man.  I'll have to track down those two names you mentioned.  It's a shame this interesting theory is split in half though, isn't it?

SoNowThen

Yeah, it's not an exact science. We'd need months to talk about it and give it proper justice, but this quickie explanation will do...

lamas

Tarantino's a hack.  He's a fan who's gotten to make films.  He just creates a collage of a bunch of ideas he's borrowed from other films.  I honestly think there are plenty of people who could do what he does.  I can't lie though - his films are entertaining.

SoNowThen

Cecil

Quote from: lamasI honestly think there are plenty of people who could do what he does.

many do, rarely are their films any good