Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Started by Redlum, June 02, 2005, 02:14:24 PM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: children with angels on June 14, 2006, 04:57:31 AM
This felt like Tarantino-lite

You have it backwards.  Shane Black isn't Tarantino-lite.  Tarantino is extra-strength Shane Black.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: modage on March 18, 2006, 10:24:07 AM
FINALLY all of you will be able to see last years best movie...

Title: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Released: 13th June 2006
SRP: $27.95

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has officially announced Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which stars Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr. The film, written and directed by Shane Black, will be available to own from the 13th June. Retail will be around $27.95. The film itself will be presented in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include Long Shadows Sharp Tongue: A Noir Documentary, a gag reel, and the films theatrical trailer.

Nice recommendation, I anticipated this title from modage's enthusiasm over it these past months. It is very funny and that's probably why I liked it so much. The whole perfunctory style of narration also worked really well I'd say. Totally check it out!

hedwig

if only we could hire modage to hype the shit out of Turtles Can Fly, maybe then people would watch the actual best movie nobody saw in 2005.  :(

modage

i guess it helps if the movie is, you know, actually good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

God damn that was a good film. I laughed my ass off and it felt like 15 minutes long. My girlfriend, who is bored by basically everything that exists in life, loved it too.

I thought that bit after the ''last scene'' was hilarious; I didn't really know Downey but I'm intrigued, he's funny.

Gold Trumpet

This isn't as nearly good as everyone is saying. Its fine, but only a few scenes really got me to laugh. Many just made me chuckle or smile. The main problem is that the movie got too cute before I even was into the characters or story. Robert Downey's stop frame at the party and his re-thinking of the narration for the story was annoying. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang proves that film has the ability to stand outside of itself with such techniques. Well, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and thousands of other movies have proved that. I could have accepted the scene if I was already into the story but I wasn't. The main characters and situation had yet to be even introduced. The scene jaded my focus so the rest of the movie played to a tougher scrutiny on my part. I realized many scenes just weren't very good and the film's unnecessary self awareness was never ending. Of course the film was trying only to be entertaining, but it could have been a lot funnier and a lot more charming. I felt like it was selling technique and style more than characters. A 3 star movie in the end.

JG

The stop frames early in the movie ran the risk of becoming too ironic and cloying, so I'm glad they were used sparesly.  Cos other than that, this was the quickest, most fun 100 minutes in a long time.  seriously, black composed some great, great cinematic moments and truly wonderful characters here.  the pee scene, the idiot line, what a good time! it will be a cult/frat classic; i already see it catching on with the same type of college kids u would expect to love it.  this time, though, the movie is actually good. 

killafilm

Awesome little film.  Nothing new to add to what has already been said.  It has one of the most entertaining commentarys I've heard in awhile.

pete

wow, the cleverness of this film was completely pointless, it was not funny and at nowhere in the film did it serve any purpose.  the best parts of this film were the witty parts--the plot twists, the verbal jabs, and shooting.  the worst parts were the controversial clever things.  I  didn't mind the parts where they said we're not in a movie or val kilmer explaining what happens when the pistol is too close, or even all the LA in jokes, but just the narrator cutting himself.  it was so cheap.  why does everything have to be so cheap.  it reminds me of my old jewish intellectual friends in Cambridge.  I like my old Jewish intellectual friends, but their intended jokes are very limited.  I wouldn't mind eating dinner with this movie, or cooking it Chinese vegetarian kosher dishes on friday nights, but man, I wouldn't praise it on an internet forum.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pozer

but you would knock it's cleverness?  the best parts you pointed out are all a part of its cleverness so again: ?

pete

I think being witty and being clever are different though.  the clever things are the peripheral stuff that's studded throughout the movie, the zach morris shit.  the witty parts are the aforementioned things, as well as using losing a finger as a device to bring out the character's rage and desperation.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton