Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Drenk

Quote from: d on October 28, 2017, 02:45:16 AM
Maybe it is obvious but having no clue about reading notes I wonder if the sheets posted by Greenwood are indeed one of the pieces used in the trailer. Has it been verified? If not PTA fans I guess that Radiohead fans have already played it and posted somewhere, right?

Speaking of which, Nigel Godrich tweeted yesterday with a link to the trailer:
QuoteThis film is very beautiful and also has very beautiful music by @JnnyG bravo!

Not very revealing but I think that may be the first "official" opinion about Phantom Thread.

https://soundcloud.com/neutraltones-1/polysixphantomthread#t=0:00
Ascension.

HACKANUT

the software instruments sound a little wonky in parts but damn thats a great theme!

barrydiggler

17:15 mark. SPOILERS if any of what is mentioned is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VdWP-ufV6E&feature=youtu.be&t=17m15s

Yes

* MINOR SPOILER *

Sounds like we're in for a doozy of a polarizing ending  :bravo: Wonder if anyone here can spill the beans of what it entails

Robyn

They are basically talking about what to expect from the ending, so don't watch it.

Robyn

He said Phantom Blood.

Phantom Thread confirmed fake title.

Lottery

Let's avoid talking spoilers here and have a separate thread for spoiler discussions like usual.

Quote from: KJ on October 30, 2017, 11:48:26 PM
He said Phantom Blood.
Phantom Thread confirmed fake title.
Or surprise PTA x JJBA crossover incoming.

wilberfan

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on November 01, 2017, 01:10:33 PM
. Hope he does a couple of Marc Maron style 2 hour interviews for this movie.

I was (re-)listening to that episode a couple of weeks ago, and I had this exact thought--specifically the "Marc Maron-style" aspect.  I'm also feeling like I want to listen to his "Boogie Nights" commentary track again...

Drenk

I'll gladly read and listen to everything he says, but he's the king at saying nothing of substance about his work. Which is a talent. He's playing the innocence card.
Ascension.

Robyn

Quote from: Drenk on November 01, 2017, 04:43:14 PM
I'll gladly read and listen to everything he says, but he's the king at saying nothing of substance about his work. Which is a talent. He's playing the innocence card.

Drenk

I must add that I am not waiting for a filmmaker  to say anything substantive about the work he's doing—because what's the point, if it works, if it's in the movie, then there is no need to say anything. In this one, he's at Cannes—obviously high—speaking to french TV, he's pleased because they liked the movie and says some interesting things about the process. But I remember how good he was at bullshiting when he was promoting The Master.

I'm curious to see if he will be asked why his last two original scripts are about some kind of twisted relationship between two "lovers". He'll probably respond: "Oh, now that you talk about it, I see how it looks that way!".
Ascension.

Fuzzy Dunlop

He started it around the PDL era, but really mastered it around the release of CMBB. In the Charlie Rose interview with him and DDL they just keep looking at each other and giggling and not giving him anything, its awesome.

His first three films he couldn't shut up about, especially Boogie Nights and Magnolia. I wonder if he just got sick of hearing himself talk, or tapped into the idea that people would respect him and the work more if he started playing the role of mysterious genius instead of hyperactive film nerd (which QT was already the king of).

There's something to Plainview's line about not wanting to explain himself that feels personal, it definitely coincided with his interview and filmmaking style becoming more and more elliptical.

jviness02

Sleepless

That's a good interview.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Pure non-spoiler highlights:

"The film, quite simply, is not done."

"I know how to point the camera in a good direction, and I know a few things. But I'm not a director of photography."

"Then the process of writing it was really the two of us together, quite honestly. I'd give him things as I was writing. Rather than go away and write a script and try to impress him, I was collaborating with him each step of the way as I was going, which was very helpful in terms of forming the story and the character."