Woody Allen

Started by Pedro, March 20, 2003, 11:46:16 PM

MacGuffin

Kidman bolts from Woody Allen film
Actress was to star alongside Brolin, Watts
Source: Variety

Nicole Kidman has ankled her role in Woody Allen's latest, untitled project.

Pic, which co-stars Antonio Banderas, Anthony Hopkins, Josh Brolin, Naomi Watts and Freida Pinto, is set to start shooting in London in the summer.

There is no word yet on who Kidman's replacement will be.

Steve Tenenbaum, Gravier Prods.' Letty Aronson and Mediapro's Jaume Roures are producing, with Mediapro also financing.

Gravier and Mediapro previously teamed to make Allen's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

Allen's London-set project will be the first of a three-picture deal between Allen and Mediapro.

Spain's Imagina Intl. is handling international sales.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Ooh, this'll be the first time I'll be in a city where Woody Allen is shooting a movie.  Hopefully I'll get to hang out and watch.

Ravi

Quote from: matt35mm on May 13, 2009, 05:29:08 AM
Ooh, this'll be the first time I'll be in a city where Woody Allen is shooting a movie.  Hopefully I'll get to hang out and watch.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

MacGuffin

Woody Allen, American Apparel settle suit
Director to receive $5 million
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Woody Allen agreed Monday to a $5 million settlement in his lawsuit accusing American Apparel of using an image parodying him as a rabbi without his permission.

Both sides announced the settlement -- to be paid by American Apparel's insurance company -- on the morning a trial was to start in federal court in Manhattan.

Reading from a statement outside court, Allen said he hoped the outcome "would discourage American Apparel or anyone else from ever trying such a thing again."

American Apparel president Dov Charney told reporters it wasn't his decision to settle. The company's insurance company "controlled the defense" in the case, he said.

"I'm not sorry of expressing myself," he said.

Allen, 73, sued the trendy clothing company last year for $10 million after the advertisements turned up on billboards in Hollywood and New York, and on a Web site. Using a frame from the film "Annie Hall," the ads depicted Allen as a Hasidic Jew -- long beard, side curls, black hat -- and featured Yiddish text meaning "the holy rebbe."

Court papers filed on Allen's behalf had described the actor-director as one of the most influential figures in the history of American film, and say he believes maintaining strict control over his image has been critical to his success.

The papers claimed Allen hasn't done commercials in the United States since 1960s, when he was a struggling standup comic. The billboards, he says, falsely implied he endorsed a clothing line known for its racy advertising -- a "blatant misappropriation and commercial use of Allen's image."

American Apparel lawyers have called the $10 million demand "outrageous," especially since the billboards were taken down after a week. They also have threatened to call Allen's former longtime companion, actress Mia Farrow, and his current wife, Soon-Yi Previn, as witnesses to show that his image has already been devalued by scandal. Previn is Farrow's adopted daughter.

Farrow starred in several of Allen's movies, including "Crimes and Misdemeanors." Their relationship ended in 1992, when she discovered he was having an affair with Previn, then 22.

On Monday, Allen blasted American Apparel, calling their First Amendment defense "sheer nonsense," and accusing of it of trying "to smear me."
Charney insisted there were no hard feelings, saying the billboards were misunderstood.

"We would never try to malign the dignity of Mr. Allen," he said. "I have respect for Mr. Allen. ... I hope to meet him on more friendly terms at a different point."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woody Allen finds Kidman replacement
U.K. actress Lucy Punch joins cast of untitled pic
Source: Variety

Woody Allen has tapped British actress Lucy Punch to join the cast of his upcoming untitled film. She replaces Nicole Kidman.

Allen does not disclose details on plot, characters or even his titles, but sources said Punch will play a high-priced call girl similar to Ashley Dupre, who was at the center of the scandal that brought down New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer. Kidman bowed out because of a schedule overlap with "The Rabbit Hole," the John Cameron Mitchell-directed film she is producing as well as starring in.

Landing the role is a coup for Punch, who was a regular a few seasons back on the CBS sitcom "The Class." Her screen credits include "Hot Fuzz" and she just wrapped the Anna Faris-Topher Grace-starrer "Young Americans."

Punch joins Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Banderas, Naomi Watts and Freida Pinto in a film that Allen will shoot in London, with financing from Mediapro, the Spain-based company responsible for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woody Allen wants to cast France's first lady
Carla Bruni-Sarkozy 'would be wonderful,' director says
Reuters

PARIS -- Woody Allen would like to use France's first lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy for a film role, the director said on RTL radio Thursday.

"I'm sure she would be wonderful," he said through a translator. "She's got charisma, she's already acted so she's not unknown to an audience. There are a lot of ways I could use her though I don't have a story for her at the moment," he said.

"But I'll certainly talk to her about it and I'll ask her if she's interested."

Bruni-Sarkozy, one of the world's top models before starting a career as a singer and marrying President Nicolas Sarkozy last year, has appeared briefly on the big screen, playing herself in Robert Altman's 1994 fashion satire "Pret-a-Porter."

Allen, whose latest film "Whatever Works" comes out in France next month, plans to shoot a film in Paris next year, RTL said.

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

http://thequietus.com/articles/02083-of-montreal-s-kevin-barnes-on-woody-allen-his-films

don't really understand how the article worked - he wrote the paragraph titles, they asked him certain questions but left them out?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Woody Allen offered 17 million dollars to film in Rio

RIO DE JANEIRO (AFP) – A film studio and Rio de Janeiro city and state authorities have offered 17 million dollars to US film director Woody Allen to work his celluloid magic in the fabled Marvelous City, media reports said Tuesday.

The offer was made last week when Allen's sister and film producer Letty Aronson was given a guided tour of Rio by advertising executive Claudio Loureiro, as quoted by the Folha daily.

Loureiro told the newspaper that Allen was offered 15 million dollars to film in the city by Brazilian film studios Conspiracao and 1.7 million dollars by the authorities of both Rio de Janeiro city and state.

Shooting would begin in 2012, Loureiro said, since Allen is booked up until 2011.

Major film productions in Rio have been scarce, with many businesses shunning the city in recent years due to its high crime rate.

Allen has already worked on films outside his beloved New York and the United States: he shot "Match Point" (2005) in London and he filmed 2008's "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" mostly in the Spanish city and other locations in Spain.

Next year, the American director is expected to shoot a film in France.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

yeah, book him when he's 77. that works. as if he'll be alive. he'll be a vegetable.

in related news, i'll be seeing him speak live in NYC this sunday aft as part of the New Yorker Festival. should be a good time had by all.

modage

I didn't know he was speaking at the New Yorker Festival.  This will be my first year going to it (to see Matt Weiner talk about Advertising) because even though they have great speakers they're always super expensive.  If you approach him, makes sure it's with an obscure reference to one of his films in hand and with a photographer friend standing by to capture it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Woody Allen's latest is 'Stranger'
"You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger" produced by Mediapro
Source: Hollywood Reporter

MADRID -- "You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger" is the name of Woody Allen's new film, starring Antonio Banderas, Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins and Naomi Watts, the Spanish producer Mediapro announced Monday.

The announcement came as the Barcelona-based producer said Spanish broadcaster Antena 3 has entered the project as a co-producer, repeating the same relationship the two forged on "Vicky Cristina Barcelona."

Gemma Jones, Freida Pinto and Lucy Punch round out the cast in the film that revolves around different members of a family, their tangled love lives and their attempts to try to solve their problems.

Slated for release in fall 2010, "Stranger" is the second of four Mediapro Woody Allen projects.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Woody Allen recruits France's first lady
Carla Bruni-Sarkozy says she's "not at all an actress"
Associated Press

PARIS -- Woody Allen has successfully courted France's first lady, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy.

The former supermodel and wife of President Nicolas Sarkozy says she's agreed to be in the famed director's next film, but doesn't know what role he has in store for her and admits she could be a terrible actress.

Allen "asked me to be in his next film," she said on Canal Plus television, where she appeared for an interview and duet with crooner Harry Connick Jr.

Asked if he had told her what part she would play, Bruni-Sarkozy replied: "No. But I said 'yes'... I do everything a little bit blindly. If I don't, I won't do anything."

"I'm not at all an actress. Maybe I'll be absolutely terrible," she added.

"I'd like to -- you know -- when I'm a grandmother, to have done a Woody Allen film," said Bruni-Sarkozy, who has a son from a relationship before Sarkozy. "I cannot in my life miss an opportunity like this."

The bespectacled cinematic legend asked Bruni-Sarkozy not to make another film before his, she said.

"If this ever comes about, it'll be a great experience," she said.

Bruni-Sarkozy, now a singer-songwriter, has largely shelved her concert tour plans to make way for her responsibilities as France's first lady.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Is Owen Wilson becoming Woody Allen's new muse?
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Owen Wilson is attached to star in the new Woody Allen movie that will shoot this summer.

As with all the writer-director's film work, Allen is keeping the untitled feature's story line and characters hush-hush, and it's not clear how big Wilson's role is. In November, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, France's first lady, mentioned that Allen had seduced her into taking a role in the film, though the writer-director's camp would not confirm.

Spain's Imagina is selling the new project in Cannes.

The UTA-repped Wilson most recently voiced a supporting role in Wes Anderson's animated "Fantastic Mr. Fox." The actor has also voiced the title role in the Fox comedy "Marmaduke," which hits theaters in June.

Beyond that, Wilson will appear in two December releases: James L. Brooks' untitled project for Sony and the "Meet the Fockers" sequel coming from Universal.

Allen's next film, "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger," stars Antonio Banderas, Josh Brolin, Anthony Hopkins, Naomi Watts, Gemma Jones, Freida Pinto and Lucy Punch. Its Spanish producer, Mediapro, has a September release scheduled. Allen's previous film, "Whatever Works," came out last June.

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

i don't think they know what muse means...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

Woody Allen Hires Cotillard For Lead Role
By MIKE FLEMING; Deadline Hollywood

EXCLUSIVE: I've just learned Woody Allen has set Marion Colillard to play the "Muse" and star opposite Owen Wilson in that untitled film he's shooting this summer in Paris. France's First Lady, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, also has been mentioned as a possible participant, but nothing's set as of yet. Allen's pic is being financed under his 3-picture deal with Spain's Mediapro. It still seems odd watching the quintessential New York director shoot in Paris, London, or Barcelona. (Though he returned for Whatever Works.) Allen long enjoyed a relationship with studios that few directors could match, where they financed his films without even reading the script. Those days are long gone -- except overseas. Woody recently wrapped You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger in London and scheduled for release in September. Cotillard most recently starred in Nine.

Skeleton FilmWorks