xl1s and gl1

Started by wild_karrde, September 11, 2003, 11:34:21 PM

wild_karrde

i was wondering...I have an Xl1s video camera and was thinking about instead of buying 1 or 2 more I could get a couple of Gl1s.  Will the picture look different? i have done some work in the past with 2 cameras and the one looked totally different when I edited it.  I am working on a project...a horror movie, and have other questions regarding audio, rendering, filters, lenses and tripods, but it is late and I will post them tomorrow.  I am new to filming, but have some knowledge.  By the way this forum is awesome...keep up the good work! :-D
wild_karrde

mutinyco

I think the Cannon cameras suck, personally. I don't like their focus or the general look. I'd recommend the Sony PD150 or the Panasonic AG-DVX100. With the Panasonic you can actually shoot at 24p -- if that's necessary for you.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Canon looks great if you pony up for the good lenses. But you can't get the manual or the wide-angle for the gl1, as far as I know...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

You need to check the cameras' lines of resolution. If you're shooting with an XL-1, then you should probably stick with it. For example, suppose you're shooting film, but you're using different cameras with different lenses -- it'll look different. Use the same tapes too. When DP's shoot film they make sure to get all the rolls from the same batch so there aren't any variations.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Redlum

The GL1 has full manual control, and there is a wide angle lens if you can afford it (about £100).

From my research on the cameras a while back I remember that they use pretty much the same setup. 3 CCD's a piece, but I think the Xl1's have slightly larger ones. I also remember reading that they both have Canon's slightly 'warmer' look.

I know for a fact that the Gl2 also uses 'Frame mode' and they take a 58mm thread for filters etc.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

mutinyco

Yeah, I think I'm partial to the colder look. Looks crisper.

-St. Joe

Gamblour.

So I'm in a production class, and our primary cameras are the Sony PD 170. Pretty nice cameras, I really like the way the colors turn out, very smooth and vivid. However, some guys in the class use a GL 2, I believe, simply because it has 24p capabilities. But the color is just wretched, everything is blown out (not an exposure problem, even the good shots are neon-like), and the frame rate seems terrible. Sure, it's 24 frames, but at what cost? Choppy frames running together, it looks awful. My question is, are these cameras that bad by comparison to the PD 170 (incapable of 24p, mind you, but still much better at 29.97), or do these guys just not know how to expose correctly for the camera?
WWPTAD?

Redlum

The canon GL2 cant shoot 24p. Nor can you present video in 24P unless you're transfering to film or viewing on a computer monitor. It does however have a feature called 'frame-mode' which emulates a progressive frame ordering but aint all that.

The difference in colour quality will be because the pd170 shoots DVCAM which uses 4:2:2 colour sub sampling as opposed to miniDV which uses 4:2:0 (PAL) or even worse 4:1:1 (NTSC).

If the PD170 is being downsampled to miniDV however, I would have reservations as to the degree of quality difference between the two. Whilst the PD170 should look better overall regardless, it shouldnt be as bad as you say. Perhaps the footage has been manipulated (partcicularly if they claim that the footage is 24p) they may have used some kind of 'look-suite' such as magic bullet; which aswell as frame rate conversions will simulate bleach bypassing and other processes which may produce the flaring that you mention.

I've used the GL2 interchangeably with a Canon XL1 with little inconsistency beyond depth of field.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gamblour.

Oh damn, they weren't shooting with a GL2, but an XL2. Sorry for that confusion.

As for the DVCAM mode on the PD 170, my professor has said that the overall quality difference between DVCAM and MiniDv indistinguishable, that the only difference is a loss in time on the tape, e.g. 40 minutes compared to 60. Does this even make sense?
WWPTAD?

Redlum

Yeah sorry. I was looking into this earlier today and I'm wrong about the DVCAM colour sub-sampling. It would appear that the main advantage is more robust encoding that is more resiliant errors.
  -  George Lucas

Coffee Films

I'd make do with 1 HDV rather than any number of DV based cameras, gotta move with the times, SD and DV especially are going to look really rough 3-5 years from now on HD systems.

Steve
www.coffeefilms.com
www.myspace.com/coffeefilms