Planes

Started by MacGuffin, December 21, 2012, 06:31:43 PM

MacGuffin

Release date: August 15, 2013

Starring: Jon Cryer, Carlos Alazraqui

Directed by: Klay Hall

Premise:  The pic is a semi-Cars spinoff about airplanes and centers on Dusty, a cropduster.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Frederico Fellini

Oh, for fuck's sake.....
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Alexandro

Just Withnail

Jesus christ, are we going to get a flood of "semi-spinoffs" now?

squints

Brave was not good/bad. I really hope pixar gets their shit together soon.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Quote from: squints on December 21, 2012, 09:16:09 PM
Brave was not good/bad. I really hope pixar gets their shit together soon.

To be clear. This is not a Pixar movie. This is DisneyToon Studios, a sister company that is exclusively doing straight-to-video spinoffs.
I don't know why we have a thread for straight-to-video stuff like this.

Yuck

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 26, 2012, 03:40:30 PM
I don't know why we have a thread for straight-to-video stuff like this.

Disney's Planes Flying Into Theaters Next Summer
Source:  Filmofilia

Although Cars 2 represented a low point for the venerable Pixar, Disney announced a few years ago that a spinoff titled Planes was in the works.

Though the film was originally set as a straight-to-dvd film, some ideas started surfacing this past summer that Disney was considering releasing the made-for–video film to movie theaters instead.

Therefore, the studio has set an August 9th, 2013, theatrical release for Planes. Not to be mistaken, the movie doesn't come from Walt Disney Animation Studios, but instead, it hails from DisneyToon Studios (Secret of the Wings).

That date puts Planes opposite the Jason Sudeikis and Jennifer Aniston drug-smuggling road-trip comedy We're the Millers and Neill Blomkamp's sci-fi Elysium.

The film follows a crop duster called Dusty who fears heights, but wants to enter an epic around-the-world air race. Jon Cryer was originally cast to voice the lead, but is reportedly no
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

I knew Mac wouldn't have posted something straight-to-video.

Sorry, everything I read said that these things weren't getting a theatrical release.

Still, this isn't Pixar.

mogwai

And the sequels "Trains" and "Automobiles (doh!)" are under preporation as we speak.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

i doubt they're gonna make it obvious that this ISN'T pixar. i doubt people will be savvy enough to spot it themselves. it doesn't matter anyway because people seem to love even sub-par pixar, at least as far as having somewhere to take their rambunctious little twerps for a couple of hours.

that's all parents want. they don't care if it's a good movie or not, most kids films are indeed completely stupid and made for kids who are equally as stupid. it's just another shitty thing you have to put up with as a parent, like wiping butts.

the genius of pixar was that it had fooled the studios into thinking that quality actually mattered. then some even bigger genius at disney saw through this (possibly while sleeping on a pile of money) and broke the spell Pixar had cast on everyone, realising/remembering it doesn't matter AT ALL whether a film is good, what matters most is time-strapped parents can recognise something familiar when they need relief from their snot-nosed mistakes as they are dragged along the multiplex.

for the record, i have a beautiful nephew who is in love with Up, and watches it twice a day. but it could just as easily be fucking shrek the turd.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

About a month ago my girl and I took our less than 3 year old son to see this and we had to leave about 25 minutes in because the dude was bored out of his mind. He was already running around and I grew impatient and asked him: "what is it? you want us to go?"
"yes".
"sure? because we won't come back if we leave."
"yes".
"you don't like the movie?"
"no".

this is after literally months of jumping up and down every time he saw the planes ad on tv or saw any product relating to it.
he had birthday party today and some kid gave him a planes puzzle or something and he just couldn't give a shit about it.
I like my son.

Sleepless

So apparently they might be making Cars 3
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.