Gangs Of New York

Started by ElPandaRoyal, January 08, 2003, 05:00:27 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinI know Tom Cruise paid for the church set, that's why it's named St. Thomas.
i did not know that.

he can afford it tho. like pfft.
under the paving stones.

Derek

Cruise did not pay for it. He guilted Weinstien into paying for it while he was taking a tour of the set.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Derek

Quote from: mogwaiWhat's wrong by not calling it St. Tom? Or St. Mackey?

St. Maverick.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

©brad

i know marty and leo took significant pay cuts to get the movie made. in the latest scorsese interviews in regards to his upcoming projects he often says "I need to get paid." so yea, maybe he is hurting financially. its a sad sad day in hollywood when martin scorsese needs a paycheck while justin timberlake could buy a small third world country.

boxoffice guru has domestic and worldwide box office results for gangs at 190.3 mill, so it has made money. (rumored est. budget was at 100-120m if im not mistaken) it should do even better with upcoming video rentals and dvd sales.

Fernando

Quote from: ©bradi know marty and leo took significant pay cuts to get the movie made. in the latest scorsese interviews in regards to his upcoming projects he often says "I need to get paid." so yea, maybe he is hurting financially. its a sad sad day in hollywood when martin scorsese needs a paycheck while justin timberlake could buy a small third world country.

boxoffice guru has domestic and worldwide box office results for gangs at 190.3 mill, so it has made money. (rumored est. budget was at 100-120m if im not mistaken) it should do even better with upcoming video rentals and dvd sales.

Budget was around 100m plus an est. 35m for marketing, that gives you a profit of almost 70m, not bad at all (IMO).

modage

wait, mini-revelation.  maybe they should have called Gangs Of New York, "Kill Bill"?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Banky

i just saw this for the first time and i thought it was good.  I really liked the very end and i loved the end credits.  not the best of 2002 but probably one of the best.  And yes Day-Lewis deserved the oscar.

meatball

Tom Cruise paid for the church set in Gangs of New York? Why?

SoNowThen

How'd you find that out, Mac?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenHow'd you find that out, Mac?

I remember (wrongly as Derek pointed out) reading it in Premiere Magazine and Entertainment Weekly:

You might say the problems plaguing Martin Scorsese's long-delayed Miramax epic ''Gangs of New York'' began the day Tom Cruise strolled onto the set. In August 2000, the actor had been with Miramax honcho Harvey Weinstein in Madrid for ''The Others,'' which Cruise was producing for his then wife, Nicole Kidman. After Cruise and Weinstein flew to Rome to surprise the star's ''Color of Money'' director on the Gangs set, Scorsese and production designer Dante Ferretti (who worked on Cruise's ''Interview With the Vampire'') started complaining that Weinstein wouldn't let them build a church -- yes, a church -- for a key scene. At that point, the building was only a two-sided facade.

Scorsese and Ferretti's dream? To be able to pan a full 360 degrees around the church. ''Harv was concerned about what the interior of the church would cost,'' Scorsese recalls. ''He was asking question after question. Finally Tom said, 'Will you please give Marty the church? He needs it.''' Flanked by Scorsese, Ferretti, the film's other producers, and a grimacing Cruise, Weinstein capitulated and approved $100,000 for the building, later dubbed St. Thomas. ''Ironically enough,'' says Weinstein, ''it's 180 [degrees] in the movie.'' Of course, that's not how Scorsese sees it. ''Oh, no, no, no,'' he says. ''I like the full church.''
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Hahahaha, that's great.

That story makes me wanna hug Tom for helping Marty out.

And kudos to Harvey, he came through.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

But its sad to me that it took Tom Cruise to convince Harvey to do it. Harv, it's MARTIN FUCKING SCORSESE who wants the church built!!

Alethia

haha thats a great story

ElPandaRoyal

TOM: Harvey, pleeeeeeease, let Marty build the church. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE...

HARVEY: Nhé..... OK, but he'll have to cut another five minutes from the final runing time!

MARTY: Fuck you. It's gonna be 4 hours and 57 minutes as we discussed.

HARVEY: No no. It's gonna be 88 minutes, including credits. It's either that or no church.

TOM: I'm gonna go now...

HARVEY: No you're not, you're gonna sit right there. We didn't shoot your scene yet!

TOM: But I'm not in the movie...

HARVEY: You are now. You'll have a cameo here and then we will put your pretty face in the poster and advertise it as the first Leo-Cruise teaming. In fact, you're gonna have Liam Neeson's part. He can go back to Ireland right now.

TOM: Marty?...

MARTY: Do you know what fellatio is Harvey?

HARVEY: I'm not very good in German. Why don't you tell me what it is?

MARTY: It's when I put my pants down and you start su...

OK OK..... I'll stop right here. It's not that funny anyway...

EDITED: Fellatio.... FELLATIO..... it was supposed to have been fellatio
Si

ono

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumMARTY: Do you know what cunnilingus is Harvey?

HARVEY: I'm not very good in German. Why don't you tell me what it is?

MARTY: It's when I put my pants down and you start su...
...that's fellatio, unless Marty has something to tell us.

My problem with this little story is it exhibits exactly what was wrong with Gangs of New York.  It reminds me a little bit about the stories of Apocalypse Now, except not as tragic for the filmmaker.  Any filmmaker worth his salt knows that a $100,000 church built for the sole reason of doing a 360-degree pan is NOT NECESSARY for the story.  And any filmmaker worth his salt would think of another way to shoot that scene instead of blowing another $100,000 he didn't need to blow.  And any filmmaker worth his salt would've made Gangs of New York a much better movie than it actually was.  Don't get me wrong, I had fun, but the last act -- as we're so prone to calling the ending -- sucked.  *takes cover*