Mother Love Bone

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 27, 2003, 08:31:17 PM

NEON MERCURY

Man... are there any fans of them out there?.rustinglass, mogwai, et al?

I would have to say that the song chloe dancer/crown of thorns  has to be one of the greatest songs by a grunge band..REALLY good stuff from them.
on a side note one the Pearl Jam bootleg from las vegas pearl jam rip into crown of thorns and do it justice .thanks eddie.....kinda wish they would cover more of mother love bone...should not be too hard for them since ament and gossard were in that former group..although amdrew wood has passed eddie can/could/would still do a good job i think singing his words..

if anyone still owns the Temple of the Dog cd (u know the one with the song hunger strike w/eddie and cornell)..that cd is a tribute to the late great Andrew Wood former singer of Mother Love Bone..really good stuf considering it is members of Pearl Jam along w/ members of Soundgarden.

And Lastly while on the subject of seatlle bands Anyone still play the Mad Season cd .that was killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

moonshiner

it's too bad about Andrew Wood...another victim of the needle, anyway i like their song Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns a lot, but most of what i know about this group is from what i've read...from the sounds of the couple of songs i've heard, they would have fell right in with the Jane's Addiction crowd, Lollapalooza, et. al
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

rustinglass

Neon, I'm sorry to say I'm not familliar with mother love bone nor 7 year bitch's work I'm looking into discovering them. I guess they were over too soon for me, I mean, I was too young

Anyway, I've got temple of the dog. And did you ever listen to Green River? they kinda kick ass. I've got Dry as a bone/Rehab doll
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

rustinglass

Yes, I have the singles soundtrack, plus the film. You really need green river for your collection , mogwai

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Sleuth

Quote from: mogwaii have this cd it's very good

does anyone remember this band?

Hahahahahaha, "I Nearly Lost You"
I like to hug dogs

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: mogwaii have this cd it's very good

does anyone remember this band?

Hahahahahaha, "I Nearly Lost You"

Holy Shit.  Memories.  I think I may have this one in my basement still.  Off to hunt it down, thanks guys!  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

OmegaSlacker

For anyone who's into the "Seattle Scene" of the early nineties, a compilation you might be interested in picking up is Sub-Pop 200.

Since most of the posts here mention bands, I'm figuring a lot of you know that Sub-Pop is (was?) an indy Seattle label.

I've had the disc for a while, but it was pretty hard to find (I think I had to special order it), but if you're into that style of music, it's not a bad pick up, featuring early songs of
Nirvana (first ever release, I believe)
Mudhoney
Soundgarden
Green River
Fastbacks
Screaming Trees (doing a Hendrix cover)
Tad
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

OmegaSlacker

Besides seeing Zakk Wylde do a half hour acoustic set in a record store earlier in the same day, the Screaming Trees were the first concert I ever went to, back in 96 when they were opening for Oasis (a guilty pleasure).

Screaming Trees tore the house down and Oasis were pretty solid as well. The singer must've stayed sober, or got really, really drunk.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

OmegaSlacker

I apologize for double posting back to back (if that's taboo on this board, as I know some boards frown upon it), but I don't know how to use the edit feature yet (I'm still relatively new).

This is slightly off the subject of Mother Love Bone, but still relative due to the Sub-Pop/Seattle connection.

If you can get your hands on a song called Dead is Dead by Terry Lee Hale, you should give it a listen. It's a very cool acoustic song, definitely worth a listen if you're into that style.

NEON MERCURY

man.... the trees were great ..Marl lanegan has a  deep tobacco and whiskey stained voice ..his solo work indeed reaaly well liked by myself..Also, something too look out for maybe collecting or what have you would be...

1.)Malfunkshun-return to olympus(very work from Andrew Wood "pre-love bone"...there is a song on their called luxury bed(rocket ship chair?)..that is good stuff...ah...the piano put to good use))-i luckily found this sucker along time ago a mall even...(wierd)

2.)Deep Six-ahhhhh! yes the material heard on this may not be  quality stuff.  but that is not the point of this beauty.. What makes this important to me is the fact  besides the group the U-man  ALL OTHER RECORDINGS BY THE OTHER BANDS ARE THE FIRST RECORDED MATERIAL THEY HAVE EVER DONE(so the liner notes say) ahem!...this means if you seek out this treasure you will have the VERY FIRST recordings of SOUNDGARDEN< MALFUNKSHUN/MOTHER LOVE BONE(can't remember which one off-head-but one of the two), GREEN RIVER, THE MELVINS, and maybe one or two other bands that i canot remember right now...But can't you see the collectability of this?!?!?!??I found mine about 5 years ago at a specialty music store...

But if willing one should seek this stuff out...........and another thing COULD SOMEONE POST A CAP OF THE COVER OF THE MALFUNKSHUN CD TITLED RETURN TO OLYMPUS...   (to keep it in someones head to llook out for if the want this)....much obliged if this reguest is fullfilled .......

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: NEON MERCURYBut if willing one should seek this stuff out...........and another thing COULD SOMEONE POST A CAP OF THE COVER OF THE MALFUNKSHUN CD TITLED RETURN TO OLYMPUS...   (to keep it in someones head to llook out for if the want this)....much obliged if this reguest is fullfilled .......
what's wrong wit you, is it too much for your lazy ass to do a google search? i found the cover easily with the use of google. i'm just playin. here it is:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH................!       that is one swell cover..  damn thats cool !  everyone(not everyone really though, just the ones interested)... take a good look at that cover and seek it out  will not regret it if purchased

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwaido you really think the album is available? i don't really remember andy being a band before mlb. but i've heard the band name before in some connection. maybe through the movie "singles" or one of jeff ament's stories he used to print in the mlb or temple of the dog cd booklets. ya know, i'm still fascinated by the "seattle scene". when i was wee younger i dreamt of moving to seattle and becoming a rock star. someday i'm going to travel to seattle and go trainspotting.

I don't know....I found out about them through reading or something like that the name stuck to me and off i went searching for ..I was looking through some cd stores at my local mall for something else and .noticed seeing the word MALFUNKSHUN.(heart skips a beat)    then grab the sucker and walk out surprised that the fact that i found thisat a  more commercial retailer than an independant music store ...which is odd.....i suggest the online method but i don't  know what is available though....OR ...try going to independant music stores (that is how i found the deep six compilation cd)  ..look in used cd's or new maybe?.....it's really good and worth the energy to seek it out..........and you shouild go to Seattle and see whats up.......cheers :drinking:

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mogwai(mtve.com)

Nirvana .... the most influential band of the '90s ...

:roll:

but...that is sad he quit..best of luck to him in what ever he pursues next in life..
thanks for the info....

phil marlowe

it's sad news indeed. no bass player has a forehead more experienced than him. if i was him i would wait a little, headbut lars ulrich and then leave. shit, even i wouldn't complain if he headbutted me, it's an honor.