Billy Wilder

Started by i/o, April 30, 2003, 03:00:06 AM

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinAlong with those talked about, I have to also mention "The Lost Weekend". What a fascinating character study about the struggles of alcoholism.

GOD you werent kidding!  i just finished watching it, and that was a pretty searing portrait of an alcoholic.  kind of a precursor to Leaving Las Vegas.  just a hopeless drunk from the first frame practically to the last.  was very very sad, and truthful.  (my dad also suggested i see Days Of Wine And Roses for more on this subject.)
very different from all the other wilder flicks ive seen.  didn't know he made pictures like this one.  great dialogue, but with the subject matter, obviously not funny at all, making it quite different and surprising from what ive seen and had expected.  the only thing that really dates this movie is throughout they kept playing this funny music that sounds like it belongs when the spaceship lands in some 50's science fiction movie.  or in Mars Attacks.  was very over the top, and unintentionally funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02the only thing that really dates this movie is throughout they kept playing this funny music that sounds like it belongs when the spaceship lands in some 50's science fiction movie.  or in Mars Attacks.  was very over the top, and unintentionally funny.

The Theremin. It's become synonymous with sci-fi films, but here I think it works perfectly to relay his paranoia, especially when he starts halucinating.

And "Days Of Wine and Roses" is also a great companion and one of Jack Lemmon's best roles.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

metroshane

I love 7 year itch.  When i'm writing and get down, I always try and remember how Wilder pretty much did the whole movie in one location (apt scene).  That's writing.  Forget lot's of action or locations, you're really something if you can make a movie work with two people in one location.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

cine

for some reason I just noticed this thread. I like reviving ones of old directors because i don't like seeing them sink to the bottom. but to be fair, i can see how they drop so easily... people don't have much to say after things like Wilder's cynicism have been brought up.. no one really cares to discuss how he deals with it and what have you.
but anyhow, yes, I love Wilder as well. INCREDIBLY daring filmmaker. Probably had bigger balls than any director of his time. Great for dipping into all sorts of genres, like screwball comedy, noir, war, drama, etc. I've read Crowe's interview on Wilder and its a wonderful study on him.

Ghostboy

I just began Crowe's book, and figured I should brush up on his films (only having seen Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity). I watched The Apartment last night, and don't have too much to add to what everyone's said...it's a masterpiece. I've never seen such a precise blend of humor and pathos. For me, making a film like that, I'd probably have been tempted to err towards the dramatic when the suicide elements come in; Wilder's refusal to play overtly for neither laughter nor tears is a valuable lesson in  proportions.

Tonight I'm watching The Seven Year Itch....

modage

i LOVE billy wilder.  he and alfred hitchcock are probably my two favorite older directors.  because their best are masterpieces and their worst are still watchable.  i've now seen...

-the apartment
-double indemnity
-sunset blvd.
-sabrina
-some like it hot
-seven year itch
-irma la douce
-the fortune cookie
-stalag 17
-avanti!
-witness for the prosecution
-the lost weekend
-love in the afternoon
-one two three

they were all good and would rank them somewhat how i have above.  i still want to see ace in the hole, spirit of st louis, kiss me stupid, private life of sherlock holmes and the front page.  thats a really great book, and i'd like to re-read it actually now that i've seen a few more than when i had originally read it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Bethie

Double Indemnity is one of the best films I have ever seen. Billy Wilder films definitely stand the test of time.

I want to say so much more about him, but I'm not that great with words. I'll just leave it at, Wilder is brilliant.
who likes movies anyway

SiliasRuby

Watched Some Like It Hot tonight and thought it was decent but it didn't necessarily make me laugh out loud. I love Sunset Blvd though and I have yet to see his other ones.  I have the apartment and double indemnity on my list. Any other suggestions?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

yes, see my list above.  everything towards the top is the best, and everything towards the bottom is just 'great'.  but definitely see double indemnity and the apartment next and then watch some like it hot again when you're not drunk.  billy wilder is the best ever,  i cant believe this thread is 2 pages and most of it is me.  lets go talk about foriegn directors.

SiliasRuby

I saw Some like it hot again and I liked it more, much more. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I haven't really liked movies about crossdressing but this one was awseome. This one is going on my DVD wish list again.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02everything towards the bottom is just 'great'.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Lost Weekend is better than just 'great'.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

It is 5am, I just stayed up so I could watch the 3 am showing of Double Indemnity (my first time seeing it).  Incredible and easily my favorite Noir film.  I need to see more Wilder.

I have seen and loved (5 stars):
Double Indemnity
Sunset Boulevard
The Apartment

Seen and liked a lot (4 stars):
Some Like it Hot

I think I'll go with The Lost Weekend and Stalag 17 next.  I should also buy Sunset Boulevard and The Apartment (is Double Indemnity even on DVD?).
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTR on November 20, 2005, 05:15:43 AM(is Double Indemnity even on DVD?).
technically yes, but basically no.  it was released years ago in a very short run that basically was only rental copies and can only be found now for hundreds of dollars or through an ebay bootleg.  (or at Macguffins house, i believe he has one.)  universal had annouced it to be released earlier this year on dvd and then pulled it indefinitely with no explanation.  hopefully they're cooking up some extras, but they could just be hammering out some rights issues.  theres really no reason this hasn't been released. 

don't forget to see Sabrina.  Lost Weekend is good but it's a very un-Wilder Wilder. 

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modage on November 20, 2005, 09:56:52 AM
Quote from: SHAFTR on November 20, 2005, 05:15:43 AM(is Double Indemnity even on DVD?).
technically yes, but basically no.  it was released years ago in a very short run that basically was only rental copies and can only be found now for hundreds of dollars or through an ebay bootleg.  (or at Macguffins house, i believe he has one.)  universal had annouced it to be released earlier this year on dvd and then pulled it indefinitely with no explanation.  hopefully they're cooking up some extras, but they could just be hammering out some rights issues.  theres really no reason this hasn't been released. 

don't forget to see Sabrina.  Lost Weekend is good but it's a very un-Wilder Wilder. 

Word is reason they pulled it is because they are going to allow Criterion release it. Criterion has even acknowledged they plan to release some Wilder in the future so we'll see. Its just the biggest running rumor going around.

modage

best...rumor....ever.  :shock: