The Hold Steady

Started by w/o horse, September 05, 2006, 05:33:57 PM

w/o horse

Just got my October 14 tickets to see them.  The beginning of the same month their new album comes out.  October is looking to be pretty sweet.

I was cruising around their website and found the misc. section in their lyrics section.  It had Milkcrate Mosh in there, which, when it played in my head, during the reading of the lyrics, was amazing.  So was the next one, Hot Fries.  Then later I found their MySpace and they were on there.  They were, after all, great..  Another non-lp song, Curves & Nerves, is here:

http://www.bowsplusarrows.com/2006/07/curves-nerves.html

Quotethe gin was just like gideon. the kings were just like solomon. the bashes were like babylon. the jester kept on jacking off. nervous cough, nervous cough, nervous cough and now we're off. went down on the denver slums and she woke up in the rocky mountain dawn. felt all freed up from the fears that you can never put your finger on. finger on finger on finger on and now were gone.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

bigperm

Great band, I really liked Separation Sunday, new album, "Boys & Girls in America" I like it.
Safe As Milk

w/o horse

So as not to keep the Weezer thread crashing I ask here:  for those with the leaked new album (the Hold Steady album), does it continue the development of Hold Steady into a more regular, singing, crowd oriented band?

No is actually the answer I'm hoping for.  Don't be afraid to say no.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

w/o horse

Quote from: w/o horse on June 04, 2008, 12:14:27 PM
So as not to keep the Weezer thread crashing I ask here:  for those with the leaked new album (the Hold Steady album), does it continue the development of Hold Steady into a more regular, singing, crowd oriented band?

No is actually the answer I'm hoping for.  Don't be afraid to say no.

Hey man.  Sorry about the delayed reply, but I definitely wanted to respond to your query with my own personal impressions.

I'd say the new album is a step down from the crowd pleasing excesses of Boys and Girls.  It retains chant elements and group choruses but has built them much more effectively into Hold Steady songs, and I think it's basically unfair of you to want the band to be the same as they were with the album Almost Killed Me.  The way that album was the beginning of a transition away from Lifter Puller, well I'd say that this new album is the culmination of those efforts, and that Hold Steady is now the band they want to be, one with equal emphasis on lyrics, music, and performance.  This drains some of the purity found in earlier records, maybe weakens the immediacy of their passions, but you'll find a really fun, energetic, and honestly infectious band playing on Stay Positive.  Hope you enjoy the album.

john

The bonus tracks on the official CD are really fucking good, too. None of them strike me as blatant B-sides.

Ask Her For Some Adderall's omission only makes sense in that it's pacing is a bit similar to Constructive Summer. It doesn't expand anything the band has done so far, but it does continue the story of Charlemagne and is catchy as hell.

Cheyenne Summer is a fantastic little bummer.

Two Handed Handshake is an immediate classic.

For anyone who downloading this months back, or anyone who has yet to get it... I sincerely recommend picking up the genuine article (in stores now!)
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

john

Hold Steady skit from Letterman last night, featuring Andy Kindler:

Show concluded with a pretty decent performance of Sequestered In memphis:

w/o horse

A Positive Rage as a documentary is worthless.  Completely worthless.

Except it did remind me of how much I love the Hold Steady.  Mission accomplished.

P.S.  Here is a link to the three songs I mention in the first post of this thread, which it turns out were additional tracks for the release of Almost Killed Me in Australia:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mmyehc0enex

Milkcrate Mosh
Hot Fries
Curves and Nerves

P. P. S. They skip the show I saw them at in the documentary!  I got the impression that where I saw them, The Detroit Bar in Costa Mesa, was the smallest venue they played at on the tour, which was a tour of larger venues than they were used to, and that maybe I sort of lucked out on seeing them in a more intimate environment than they're going to be playing at for the remainder of their career.  OK cool.

john

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the documentary as well. It seems pretty muddled in it's intentions - not sure if it's for the converted or the curious... some good sound bites from Finn and Co., though... and a few encounters with fans that range from sweet to uneasy.

The album itself is pretty solid, though I can't imagine it winning over anybody who isn't already a fan and most fans probably already have a specific bootleg they probably enjoy more than this. Though, the download of 40 bucks and Spectres make it totally worth it.

That Costa Mesa show was pretty great... the Detroit Bar gets some pretty fantastic shows... most memorably Frank Black last year and Elliott Smith seven (eight? nine?) years ago. Probably the best thing there is about Costa Mesa.

I'm making the trip out to Sacramento next week to see THS in a comparably tiny venue.... should be fun.