I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

modage

$17 Best Buy Online Sale
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Do you order those from Amazon.co.uk? How does that work?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

wilder

Yeah, works the same way as Amazon, just takes a million years to get to your house.

Stefen

Quote from: wilderesque on April 29, 2011, 07:13:18 PM
Yeah, works the same way as Amazon, just takes a million years to get to your house.

How can you tell if they will play on a region 1 BD player (in my case, a PS3)?

And is there a good site to use to convert currency to get what the price would be in American dollars?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

wilder

You can usually find region coding information on DVDBeaver or on Blu-ray.com, but need to use the advanced search page on Blu-ray.com for titles from the UK and other countries to show up in the search results.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search.php

For instance, here's the page for the UK release of Cache on Blu-ray.com, which notes that it's region free:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hidden-Blu-ray/1606/

If you can't find information either of those places, try a search on DVDAF.com and use their "one pager" mode (by clicking on a title cover after searching for it and selecting "One Pager"), or just post a question on the Blu-ray.com forums, which cover international releases as well as domestic titles, people there are usually more than happy to help. I use xe.com to convert currency.

Stefen

That looks like a really good price for Cache. How much does it come out to in American dollars and is there any associated fees with buying from Amazon.co.uk? I'm a prime member so would I have to pay tons of shipping charges?

wilder

I'm not positive but I don't think Amazon UK accounts are directly affiliated with its US counterpart. I think you need to register an entirely new account there and I have no idea if your Prime membership would apply. The Cache blu-ray, after conversion, comes to about 12 US dollars. Shipping for that order of four items came to about $12 as well, might be less if only ordering one item. There's no free shipping for orders over $25 like in the US, at least for international shipments. There are no hidden fees, just your order total and postage.

Also, when searching on DVDAF.com, make sure to change the drop-down menu to Region "all". Sometimes even if something is from the UK it's not accurately listed on DVDAF, so if you search all territories, whatever you're looking for will come up. The search there is also notoriously finicky and only finds exact matches, so you need to omit "the" and "a" from the beginning of titles you're searching for (i.e. search "Night of the Hunter" not "The Night of the Hunter"). Sometimes it will strip the article from the title for you, but sometimes it doesn't do it on its own and will return no results when the title is actually listed under different terms.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: wilderesque on April 29, 2011, 05:03:34 PM

Please report back about this one.  Loved loved Pialat's Criterion releases.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

modage

Ooh, just found out this is coming out in 2 weeks.  Bought.

My favorite American comedy on TV.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

got the job, so:

bbs set
shock corridor
the naked kiss
kes
still walking
white material

Ravi

mogwai

Stefen

I've talked about this movie before, but this has gotta go down as one of the best films of the 90's. Certainly one of the most underrated. It might be one of the best edited films I have ever seen. PTA ripped off so much from Scorsese and it's never been more apparent than it is here.

Brokeback Mountain is badass. I hold this film in very high regard.

Got this from Amazon.co.uk for $35  :shock: Couldn't pass that up.

One of my all-time favorites. I have very young parents. One of my earliest childhood memories is of them tying me to a chair and making me watch this movie. They thought it was hilarious. To this day the site of David and Jack in their backpacking jackets scares to the crap out of me.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Reel

I have no idea what half of what u watch is, looks cool tho.