Hip Hop

Started by Jack Sparrow, April 27, 2003, 12:43:51 PM

Reinhold

both of my new room mates in my forced triple are black. they dig hip hop. i'm getting into it now.

woot.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

mogwai

Quote from: Reinhold Messnerboth of my new room mates in my forced triple are black. they dig hip hop. i'm getting into it now.

woot.

modage

Quote from: GaramNoone seems to have mentioned The Pharcyde yet.
Eh, I've read enough Pharcyde vs Eminem vs Dre & Snoop vs Jay Z vs classic hip hop threads over the internet in my time that i'm sure it doesn't hold anything new for me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Garam

meatwad

i was watching some MTV show that was all about Kanye West, and during his interview all i kept thinking about was how he reminds me of tom cruise.

the way he gets insanly serious at points, and then just laughs. and he is all over the place

Stefen

Thats cause Tom Cruise is his publicist.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

killafilm

You all should check out www.mokaonly.com  

He doesn't seem to get any love in the US.

SHAFTR

Quote from: peteI love talib kweli to pieces but seriously, this new kanye west influence is making him all wack.  he's being ruined.  he's cool when he's just flowing his intelligent rhymes and criticizing the society all the while remaining almost romantically optimistic.  I really think he can be the next Bob Dylan like for real not just as a marketing gimmick, if he just stops worrying so much about what people call him and stop hanging out with Kanye West aka the devil.  He got branded as "conscious" very early on and it was kinda like a kiss of death for the rest of the world even though his tracks are just as hot as any of them out there and his rhymes are SOO TITE.  somehow he got clumped together with the neo-soul artists and now he's clinging onto Kanye for fame.

I've been a Kweli fan for quite some time.  I've only heard Reflection Eternal all the way through, so how does that compare to his other albums?  Strangely, I don't believe I've ever heard Kanye West.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

72teeth

Not again you guys... :nono:  

Rap mogul Suge Knight shot at Miami MTV awards party

By David Usborne, in New York
Published: 29 August 2005
The rap music world is once again contemplating the violence in its soul after the dramatic shooting of the recording mogul Marion "Suge" Knight at a celebrity-studded party in South Beach, Miami, hosted by the Grammy Award-winning artist Kanye West.

Police said that Mr Knight, who founded the pioneering label Death Row Records, was wounded in the leg. He was being treated in a Miami hospital last night in a stable condition. Surgery was planned for later yesterday.

The party, held on the eve of the annual MTV Music Video Awards scheduled for last night in Miami, dissolved in pandemonium when shots rang out, witnesses said. Screaming guests fled from the luxury Shore Club hotel close to the Atlantic Ocean.

Among those invited to the evening of celebration were the comedian Eddie Murphy and the actress Jessica Alba, but it was unclear if they were present when the shooting happened.

"I was in there and I heard a pop and ran out and got trampled," recalled Sonja Mauro, who was staying at the Shore Club for the weekend. She reported hearing the shot fired a little before 1am yesterday.

The heavy-set and bearded Mr Knight, 40, is an iconic figure in the American recording industry. Among his protégés in the early nineties were the rap stars Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur. But his career achievements have been marred by connections to the violence that has repeatedly rocked rap fans.

As far back as in 1992, Mr Knight was placed on probation after being convicted of assault and weapons charges. Then in 1996, he was sentenced to five years in prison after he and some of his associates, including Shakur, were caught on videotape assaulting a gang rival in a Las Vegas hotel. It was shortly afterwards that Shakur was gunned down and killed while driving in Las Vegas.

Some family members of the Notorious BIG, another murdered rap star, have in the past accused Mr Knight of involvement. But investigators have never offered any evidence to support the allegations. Notorious BIG was killed in 1997 one year after Shakur, rekindling rumours of bi-coastal war between rival rap gangs.

According to the MTV web site, six shots were fired at the club yesterday. The bullet that struck Mr Knight, whose record label is now also known as Tha Row, resulted in a fracture and he was due to undergo surgery in Miami's Mount Sinai Medical Centre later in the day.

The police in South Beach said that they had no suspects for the shooting. However, there was no word from the Knight camp.

Meanwhile, the awards show, one of the high points in the popular music calendar in the US, was scheduled to be broadcast as planned, despite the shooting.

The rap music world is once again contemplating the violence in its soul after the dramatic shooting of the recording mogul Marion "Suge" Knight at a celebrity-studded party in South Beach, Miami, hosted by the Grammy Award-winning artist Kanye West.

Police said that Mr Knight, who founded the pioneering label Death Row Records, was wounded in the leg. He was being treated in a Miami hospital last night in a stable condition. Surgery was planned for later yesterday.

The party, held on the eve of the annual MTV Music Video Awards scheduled for last night in Miami, dissolved in pandemonium when shots rang out, witnesses said. Screaming guests fled from the luxury Shore Club hotel close to the Atlantic Ocean.

Among those invited to the evening of celebration were the comedian Eddie Murphy and the actress Jessica Alba, but it was unclear if they were present when the shooting happened.

"I was in there and I heard a pop and ran out and got trampled," recalled Sonja Mauro, who was staying at the Shore Club for the weekend. She reported hearing the shot fired a little before 1am yesterday.

The heavy-set and bearded Mr Knight, 40, is an iconic figure in the American recording industry. Among his protégés in the early nineties were the rap stars Snoop Dogg and Tupac Shakur. But his career achievements have been marred by connections to the violence that has repeatedly rocked rap fans.
As far back as in 1992, Mr Knight was placed on probation after being convicted of assault and weapons charges. Then in 1996, he was sentenced to five years in prison after he and some of his associates, including Shakur, were caught on videotape assaulting a gang rival in a Las Vegas hotel. It was shortly afterwards that Shakur was gunned down and killed while driving in Las Vegas.

Some family members of the Notorious BIG, another murdered rap star, have in the past accused Mr Knight of involvement. But investigators have never offered any evidence to support the allegations. Notorious BIG was killed in 1997 one year after Shakur, rekindling rumours of bi-coastal war between rival rap gangs.

According to the MTV web site, six shots were fired at the club yesterday. The bullet that struck Mr Knight, whose record label is now also known as Tha Row, resulted in a fracture and he was due to undergo surgery in Miami's Mount Sinai Medical Centre later in the day.

The police in South Beach said that they had no suspects for the shooting. However, there was no word from the Knight camp.

Meanwhile, the awards show, one of the high points in the popular music calendar in the US, was scheduled to be broadcast as planned, despite the shooting.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reinhold

Quote from: mogwai

actually, there's an art major here whose picture i thought this was until i looked closer. his name's kip... he's majoring in fine art, but he says his real love is graffiti. he and some other kid were freestyling with thick brooklyn accents (drunk) to a hip hop loop in their suite when i met him the first time.

i haven't had the courage to mention malibu's most wanted to him yet.

'cept for the wigger thing, he seems like a cool guy.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

GodDamnImDaMan

Quote from: GaramNoone seems to have mentioned The Pharcyde yet. Their first 2 albums are fucking astounding.

Eminem was good pre-2002. As was Dre. Snoop was pretty good in the early 90s. Jay Z was great until he chose to collaberate with Linkin Park and R Kelly. Beastie Boys, Run DMC and Public Enemy are all classic. LL Cool J could've been classic if he quit 10 years earlier.

Eric B and Rakim are excellent, as are A Tribe Called Quest and De La Soul.

Deltron 3030 and Del's solo stuff is brilliant. Busta's early stuff was grand too.

I'll agree with you about Eminem. If his last album was the Eminem show I would have said Eminem will go down as one of the greatest rappers of all time, but the fact that he released "Encore" was just horrible. It took any credibility Eminem had and made you forget about all the awesome beef battles he had.

Now about Dre, How can you say he isn't good anymore? When the guy isn't even around? His last album was the Chronic 2001 which was an AWESOME album. Look out for Detox until you make another decision about Dre.

Snoop, well...Snoop is the biggest sell out in hip hop. But hey who cares? I hate to admit it, but i liked the song he did with Justin Timberlake a year ago...that shit was hot!

Now onto Jay-z...

Anyone that hates Jay Z, has never heard "Reasonable Doubt." Also, I'm sick of people rippin on him because he collaberated with Linkin Park. Who fuckin cares? That album was hot! Now, don't get me wrong...
Jay does have alot of faults. I mean just look at all the lines he rips from Biggie and Tupac, and not to metion that horrible remake of the "Me and My girlfriend," entitled, "Bonnie and Clyde" off the Blueprint 2...

But Jay Z is as awesome of a rapper as you can get.

Beastie Boys, Run DMC and Public Enemy are all classic

Duh.

LL Cool J, see above.
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

The Red Vine

Quote from: StefenThats cause Tom Cruise is his publicist.

Did somebody say Tom Cruise....

"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm surprised we haven't seen more talk about M.I.A.  This girl spits hot fire!

Quote from: God Damn Im Da Man
But Jay Z is as awesome of a rapper as you can get.

You've got hella low standards.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

Gabe

I recommend that everybody check out this new rapper Saigon. He's from New York. He's very good. He's boasting a lot about putting New York back on the map. And although he is not signed he has been producing very succesful mixtapes and the labels will probably be all over him after he releases his album "Dear Black America" including tracks produced by Just Blaze !