Hip Hop

Started by Jack Sparrow, April 27, 2003, 12:43:51 PM

Stefen

Source awards coming up...Over/Under on 5 acts of violence? I'ma take OVER.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

NEON MERCURY

i just found out that there is going to be a new tupac cd out on tues..

he's released more cds dead than alive.........

RegularKarate

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi just found out that there is going to be a new tupac cd out on tues..

and that joke's been made more times than Leno's been on television.

Stefen

People overrate Tupac so much.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi just found out that there is going to be a new tupac cd out on tues..

do you still laugh at Snoop Dogg's cameos in movies too?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Snoop Dogg Sniffs Out Movie Deal

Rapper Snoop Dogg will star in and executive produce a feature based on his real-life experience as coach of his young son's football team.

20th Century Fox beat out several bidders, including Sony and Paramount, paying $1 million for the pitch titled "Coach Snoop."

"This film is about how I learned to be a good father through coaching," Snoop Dogg said. "It's also about life lessons learned on and off the field. But most importantly during the football season, if you aren't wearing a helmet, get the f--- away from me. Football first; everything else second."

Snoop Dogg (real name: Calvin Broadus) pioneered the gangsta rap genre in the early 1990s. He is currently No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart with his hit tune "Drop It Like It's Hot," featuring ubiquitous producer Pharrell Williams. His feature credits include "Training Day," "Soul Plane" and "Starsky & Hutch."

David Hoberman, one of the producers, said the story was very inspirational.

"It's the story of what Snoop did himself. In his real life as in the movie, like any regular overworked father, he put aside his whole career to coach his kid's football team."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

I'm looking forward to,

pete

- Buster Keaton

hedwig

pete, what don't you like about him?

pete

I don't like this condescending middle-class shit he's trying to pull on hip hop.  I mean half of his songs involve traditional hip hop shittalking but from like a fully removed middleclass perspective, like he's just lecturing the rappers on how gangsta and bling bling they are and how much classier and more sophisticated he is.  and that polo shirt thing is wack.  it's not wack only from a marx class-struggle standpoint; it's also wack because you have to be pretty lame to use that as your angle (a rapper...who is preppie!)
no doubt his tracks are great but that's where he should stay.  his success I think is poisoning his contemporaries like talib kweli, who is now trying to adapt this laid-back middle class party animal persona that just doesn't fit him.  kanye's just too corny to not to be successful--songs about his mama, Jesus (and quoting Happy Gilmore FOR SERIOUS in that song too), college education...etc.  imagine a blues singer in the 40s making it big singing about how the other poor blues singers are just fronting and about his own personal middle class financial woes, or a country singer...etc.  I think he's misunderstood the fantasy aspect of the bling bling culture and then somehow evoked some type of xenophobia amongst all the white college kids--oh, I guess it's okay to laugh at the urban black youth's misery and aspirations and their backwards nonsense urban talk, 'cause the "normal" black folks are doing it too.
that's why man, eff this guy.
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I disagree with your concept of Kanye, pete.

Kanye is doing something that really hasn't been done before in rap.  Rap now is dominated by hustlers and thug life, which in it of itself makes the African American community appear to be the dregs of society.  Kanye is showing a look at the perspective of "you don't have to be gangster, but you don't have to be a scholar." It's not positioning yourself in the middle, but more of being proud of who you are.  Kanye's lyrics don't always sync up, he changes his mind a lot.  We all do.  He's a very relatable, charismatic guy.  He's bringing fans to rap and hip hop, people that never thought they'd even try to like it.

Kanye's beats are original and catchy and his words are words that such a polarized youth could use.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

The great thing about Kanye is that he demonstrates to the hip-hop community that you don't have to make yourself out to be a thug or pimp stereotype to be a rapper.  Popular rap has become such a parody of itself over the past 15 years that it becomes a revolutionary act for a bright, middle-class, normal guy to do it and become successful at it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

kanye is not he first person who has rapped about not being a thug, or against being a thug. and he's not the best person who's done it either, or is doing it. he is however, the most marketable this season.

ur right polkablues, the revolution is that now OTHER Middle Class black rappers can make it too. a success! no, pete was right. kanye is not indicative of much other than white assimilation. there is nothing remarkably "real" about what he is doing, his beats are great, so what, so were The Game's if u ignored the lyrics. in the arena of conscious rap, kanye is lowering the standards, that's the bottom line. that could be opinion, but as a non-white kid that's how i'm callin it.
under the paving stones.

72teeth

You guys should listen to the Anticon lable, they have some of the best poetry on life and everything in-between. Some of their stuff is a bit wierd but great none the less...try this:

There is this track called June 26, 1998, may be one of the top 5 songs i've ever heard. Go find it if you can, you won't be sorry
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Ghostboy

Quote from: 72teeth

There is this track called June 26, 1998, may be one of the top 5 songs i've ever heard. Go find it if you can, you won't be sorry

That's funny, I just played that very song yesterday to show my cousin to prove to him just how amazing hip hop could be.

Recommendation seconded.