Hip Hop

Started by Jack Sparrow, April 27, 2003, 12:43:51 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanHoward Dean's favorite artist is apparently Wyclef Jean.
great, what's that got to do with hip hop?
under the paving stones.

mogwai

Jeremy Blackman

Interesting quote from Steve Jobs:

"I'm trying to force myself to listen to more of the current stuff. I had never listened to hip-hop and had somehow developed a pretty harsh image of it. Now I'm not saying I like all of it, but I found some people that have something to say and are saying it, more than anyone since Dylan in the 1960s. And Dylan is my all-time favorite. I met him once. It was one of the high points of my life."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_05/b3868008_mz001.htm

mogwai

on the 15th of june beastie boys release their new album "to the 5 boroughs"

Track Listings
1. Ch-Check It Out        
2. Right Right Now Now        
3. 3 The Hard Way        
4. Time To Build        
5. Rhyme The Rhyme Well        
6. Triple Trouble        
7. Hey F*?# You        
8. Oh Word?        
9. That's It That's All        
10. All Life Styles        
11. Shazam!        
12. An Open Letter To NYC        
13. Crawlspace        
14. The Brouhaha        
15. We Got The

Pubrick

they should've called it "to to to to to to to to to to to to to to the the the the the the the the 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 boroughs borougs boroughs boroughs boroughs boroughs boroughs boroughs boroughs boroughs boroughs."

u know, for consistency.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

they couldn't fit that many letters on the cover, you see.

MacGuffin

If Fiona Apple can put the entire title "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King; What He Knows Throws the Blows When He Goes to the Fight, and He'll Win the Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters the Ring - There's No Body to Batter When the Mind Is Your Might, So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand and Remember That Depth Is the Greatest of Heights, and If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where to Land, and If You Fall It Won't Matter Cuz You'll Know That You're Right" on her album cover, The Beasties can use Pubrick's suggestion.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

you know, i can't see a single space on that cover where they can fit all those letters. can you?

El Duderino

i really like Deltron 3030.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Stefen

I used to be into the normal stuff, Dre, Snoop, Tupac, Biggie, but then I heard the gravediggaz 6 feet deep. From there went on to listen to del and hiero. Hip hop is great. I'm not a big fan of 50 cent, tupac, eminem or that kind of stuff, it bores me and reaks of suburban white girl syndrome. I used to like outkast but I don't like anything they've done outside of the classic atliens. Aquemini was alright but couldn't compare to atliens. Everything is downhill from there.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

One Person Stabbed at Vibe Awards Taping

SANTA MONICA, Calif. - A fight broke out near the stage at the Vibe awards ceremony as rapper Snoop Dogg and producer Quincy Jones were preparing to honor Dr. Dre., and one person was stabbed, authorities and witnesses said.

Dozens of people sitting near the stage Monday inside a hangar at the Santa Monica airport began shoving each other as the show wound down about 7:30 p.m. News video showed chairs being thrown, punches flying, people chasing one another and some being restrained.

It was unclear if the stabbing preceded or followed the fight. The victim, a 26-year-old man, was taken to a hospital and was listed in stable condition.

No arrests were made.

Witness Frank Williams said Dr. Dre was involved in the brawl.

"I saw Dr. Dre fighting somebody," Williams told KCAL-TV. "I don't know if he was fighting back. But there was a guy taken out basically bloodied."

The Los Angeles Times, citing an unnamed associate of Dr. Dre, said the melee broke out as the acclaimed hip-hop producer was sitting at a front-row table waiting to receive the Vibe Legend Award. A man walked up to Dr. Dre's table and punched him, and Dr. Dre's bodyguards went after the man, the associate said.

Dr. Dre was about to join Jones and Snoop Dogg on stage to receive the award for his lifetime contributions to hip-hop. "Come on, your messing up my rap, man," Jones said.

Andrea Ferguson, employed by a public relations firm that worked with Vibe for the second annual awards ceremony, called the incident a "disruption" but declined to provide details. She added the show was allowed to continue but it was halted for about five minutes.

"My understanding is that it was somewhat chaotic in there," police Lt. Frank Fabrega said in a press conference following the fight.

About 1,000 people attended the event; some scurried for the exits when the melee began. The show was taped Monday and was expected to be broadcast on the UPN network Tuesday.

"It's really important that we don't take a negative incident like this and do away with the awards," Suge Knight told reporters.

Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg and the late Tupac Shakur were among the artists signed to Knight's Death Row Records during its height in the early 1990s. After leaving the label, Dr. Dre started the highly successful Aftermath Records, which has signed stars including Eminem.

When Knight was released in 2001 from a five-year prison term for assault and weapons violations, Dr. Dre obtained a court order to keep Knight away from him, The Times said. It was unclear whether the order remained in effect Monday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

RegularKarate

It's wrong that this in the hip-hop thread.

Sleuth

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH
I like to hug dogs