Hip Hop

Started by Jack Sparrow, April 27, 2003, 12:43:51 PM

jenkins

could easily go into the "now playing" thread but i think it's, like, new age-type related to this topic. 'cause so what happened is i told her about lamar's u, a non-xixax-member human, irl she was quiet (lol) after i recommended it, via texts, and later i asked her if she hated the song, she told me she hated the song a bit (lol), and right away i knew the problem was it isn't a mellow song and she's a mellow person (we have dissimilarities), butso she'd sent me another song, which when i listened to it i thought about how mellow it is and how mellow music makes people mellow, it can do that, and misery loves company and my favorite songs tend to be songs of misery, so if it's true you're a bit like your top-five friends, and i currently want to feel better, i obvs gotta think about my current favorite songs, and this is now one and i always like when i meet a person who gets me back into the mellow

Axolotl

Jenny Death(disc 2 of The Powers that B) has been out for a few days. It's pretty good.

etc.

Reel

Tupac Shakur, Rapper and Rapist

WorldForgot

WorldForgot

Fuzzy Dunlop

I fucking love Vince Staples

Reel

I like to hear songs about rapper's humble beginnings:

WorldForgot

~ *ROYALTY* ~

Justin Simien, creator of Dear White People has an observation thread on Gambino'z This is America video

and Keep It / Daily Beast writer Ira Madison

Fuzzy Dunlop

This is an era-defining piece of work.

Directed by Hiro Murai who also directs the bulk of Atlanta. He's the fucking shit.

Another classic from Hiro:

Lottery

That beat switch is bonkers but otherwise it's not doing much for me. The music video definitely elevates the track.

That Flying Lotus one is amazing though.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Lottery on May 06, 2018, 09:45:48 PM
That beat switch is bonkers but otherwise it's not doing much for me. The music video definitely elevates the track.

It's an interesting track considering the evolution of sound from AWAKEN and this being a production done with Fam & Ibra on production. And although a bit nihilistically joyous, it doesn't fall in line with the emo trend. Ludwig's guitar and drum instinctz have just come off Black Panther and the SNL performance feels like that, but this CDQ version works as a bop, is why I dig it. Young Thug'z on it! It's got replay value, as far as Carti'z Magnolia could run, imo. it's BTI lvl of banger (Hiro's longtake in Sweatpants is cited in this video, as well as Glover's Bonfire) with the rootz of ATL'z thematic sprinkles.

(gotta admit im sleepin on Gucci and spun all those yet, seems like something you gotta boom on car speakers or 5.1 after big dubz)

Lottery

To clarify, I think the music is lesser than the message and the video. Without the video, the verses aren't of any real value (the trappy beat is pretty decent). Disjointedness and beat switches and stuff can be cool but both parts (trappy bit and joyous chorus) don't really add up to anything special. It seems like this track exists in tandem with the video, without it- it's pretty weak. I reckon a lot of buzz it's getting is based on the video alone. I'm reminded of that band OK Go.
The track he did on SNL didn't entirely win me over either, but the Pharrell/MJ vibe should make it a big hit.

polkablues

I'm with you on that. Without the added context the video provides, there's really not much to the song itself. I don't think that minimizes it in any way; it certainly seems like an intentional creative choice. You hear the song initially and react one way to it, the video then recontextualizes it, and afterwards the song takes on the new meaning even absent the video.
My house, my rules, my coffee

WorldForgot

Agreed, undeniably this was calculated, dropped legiterally at the same time the SNL episode started airing on the West Coast. Childish Gambino has been a visual/audio project for as long as I've caught it, during the IAMDONALD phase he would have ?UESTLOVE and James Murphy projected behind him as accompaniment or a contextualizing Dan Eckman music video.

Considering he made a full script for BTI, I wonder how far Donald will go for Gambino'z purportedly final outing.

WorldForgot