tales from the set of the shining

Started by cowboykurtis, March 17, 2003, 11:45:04 AM

cowboykurtis

one of my professors was the script supervisor on the shining. she had many intersting stories about kubricks process. one story that she told seemed very simple, yet compeley embodied Kubricks mentality of his filmmaking process.

They were in between set ups on teh set of the shining -- Kubrick was roaming around the overlook hotel -- he called for his AD and asks if they had a set carpenter. The AD told Kubrick that there was one on standby. Kubrick asks how far away was he was -- THe AD told him 30 mintues. Kubrick said told the AD to call him immediatly, its urgent that he gets here. THe AD ran for the phone called up the carpenter and told him to step on it. 28 mintues later the carpenter arrived huffing and puffing from his rushed trip. Kubrick said, I don't need him -- send him home. The man drove back home. Exactly 30 mintues later Kubrick yelled for the AD and said we need the carpenter after all. THe carpenter was called and ran in 27 minutes later. Kubrick shook the carpenter's hand and said -- "Very good, we don't need you: I had to make sure that if we really did need you, that you'd be here in 30 mintues. The first time you got here in 28 minutes, the second in 27, keep up the good work and I won't fire you."
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

©brad

i got loads of on the set stories, but none really from Kubrick.

After the second day of principal photography for Wall Street Oliver Stone was unhappy with Michael Douglas's performance. Douglas apparently didn't know his lines too well and was not hitting his mark. Stone came into Michael's trailer after the second day and said "What's wrong with you? Something bad going on in your life?" Douglas was kind of shocked and had no idea what Stone was talking about. "No, I'm fine," he responds. Stone then asks "You on drugs?" "Of course not," says Michael, "Why?" "Because I've never seen such bad acting in my life. Get your shit together," says Stone as he walks out. Michael was stunned beyond belief. Flash foward a year, and Douglas is accepting his academy award for his performance in the movie.

hehehe.

Stone definitely has been quite the provacator in the past, especially on Natural Born Killers. I read Jane Hamsher's book Killer Instint. She was a first time producer on that movie and it's a great read, definitely recommend it, it's like Beginning filmmaking for dummies. Anyway, she tells some crazy stories about Stone, esp. one when they were all on a location scout tripping on mushrooms and got followed by a navajo cop. Supposedly it was an exhausting, crazy shoot, especially when u have Stone yelling to certain actors and crew members "What are you doing? You are going to ruin my movie!" Apparently he is really nice and kind in real life though.

Pedro

Quote from: cbrad4d
Stone definitely has been quite the provacator in the past, especially on Natural Born Killers. I read Jane Hamsher's book Killer Instint. She was a first time producer on that movie and it's a great read, definitely recommend it, it's like Beginning filmmaking for dummies. Anyway, she tells some crazy stories about Stone, esp. one when they were all on a location scout tripping on mushrooms and got followed by a navajo cop. Supposedly it was an exhausting, crazy shoot, especially when u have Stone yelling to certain actors and crew members "What are you doing? You are going to ruin my movie!" Apparently he is really nice and kind in real life though.

I think that was mentioned on a commentary I heard once...

©brad

On the NBK DVD, the doc. on the making of the film, Jane Hamsher briefly talks about it, but in the book she goes into a lot of detail. It was hysterical.

Pedro

Groovy....I think I'll have to go check that out.

cowboykurtis

the dolly grip on a film I worked on was the dolly grip on natural born killers -- he claimed that stone directed from under a black tenet wear his video monitor was -- he be in there getting blowjobs from hookers and blowing lines while barking out orders -- i think this i complete bullshit but funny nonetheless.

another grip told me a story from the set of malcolm x. he said he was walking behind spike lee down a long hallway. at the end there was a door -- spike stopped in front of the door and stood there. the grip also stopped and stood behind him -- they stood in slience for more than a minutee -- the grip was very confused as to what was going on -- spike finally turned around and said " are you going to open the fucking door for me or what?"

©brad

Satcho9

NiCE....KEEP THE STORIES COMING.

I have a good one.

A producer walks into Steven Segals trailer in the early nineties and finds Steven crying. The producer asks "Steven whats the matter?". To which Steven replies "This script....its fucking beatiful. Its the best script I have ever read." To which the producer responds..."Well Who wrote it?".  Steven answers.."I did."
The END

Story relayed courtesy of Bob Odenkirk. So i dont know how authentic it is, but fucking funny none the less.

Enjoy

cowboykurtis

thats the funniest fucking segal story.what a little bitch -- i hate that guy. the editor of easy rider taught an editing class i was in. the first day he spoke for about an hour about his hatred of steven segal -- it was hilarious. he edited some bullshit movie like the glitter man. he said every day in post steven brought a buhddist monk into his editing complex to sprinkle rosemary and  orchid peddles all over to cleanse the tangent universe of any bad energy. he then said segal finally watched a cut of the film. segal stood up and said, speed up every kick i do in the film 5 frames. he said there were like 10,000 kicks and punches.  he stayed up for days doing it, segal wathced it again and said -- i think it would look better if it was sped up 6 frames instead of 5 -- so he had to do that garbage all over -- he fucking hates the guy with a passion.

Satcho9

Right on, Fuck Steven Segal.

He isnt even a marital arts master anyway...

He was an Aikido teacher in LA in the 80's, and he taught Mike Ovitz (Uber Agent, then head of Disney) Aikido. Well they became good buddies and Mike let little Stevey have his own movie. Thats why his first couple of flicks were from Touchstone, disneys "adult" movie company. So dont listen to any of that CIA agent or Japanese renegade bullshit. Steven is just a pussy from LA who took one to many karate classes.

Ghostboy

I was an extra in Any Given Sunday (along with everyone else in Dallas, I think), and Oliver Stone does have that little black tent...what goes on, I'm not sure about...but I do know he's got a penchant for the drugs. APPARENTLY...he has (had) the same dealer, who is actually a certified doctor, that Matthew Perry uses. I learned this from one of my friends who was Perry's assistant when he was shooting Serving Sara, and she took me to his trailer one day while he wasn't there. She told me he was really disgusting in real life, and had a strange fetish for Strawberry Quick. I stole serveral packs of his cigarettes.

sphinx

Quote from: GhostboyShe told me he was really disgusting in real life, and had a strange fetish for Strawberry Quick. I stole serveral packs of his cigarettes.

is this is?

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz Strawberry schnapps
1 oz Irish cream
1/2 oz Grenadine
Fill Milk

Mixing instructions:
Mix the contents so that the color of the drink is a pink color. Serve and enjoy

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyI was an extra in Any Given Sunday (along with everyone else in Dallas, I think), and Oliver Stone does have that little black tent...what goes on, I'm not sure about...but I do know he's got a penchant for the drugs.

I can confirm this. A friend of mine did catering on "Sunday" when they were in Miami and saw the 'snow' flowing. She also witnessed the fight between LL Cool J and Jamie Foxx.

For sphinx:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx