Author Topic: The X-Files  (Read 31081 times)

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
  • Respect: +360
Re: The X-Files
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2018, 08:35:27 AM »
+1
I was definitely on a high after the revelation at the end, but rewatching, it's still pretty clunky throughout. The twist makes more and more sense the more I think about it though; the story always was that Scully was barren so she never should have been able to get pregnant. The suggestion that, oh, she actually had a couple of ova still, never really sat well with me. It was lazy. This makes so much more sense. En Ami is the episode where CSM demonstrates he can cure kids of cancer, for christ's sake! It also, I think, goes a way to explain why Monica is now on Team CSM. Not saying it's entirely logical, but if she knew that William was - in some yet-to-be-determined sense - CSM's son, I could buy her begrudgingly accepting his "olive branch" (I mean, one of the good guys had to accept his offer eventually right?) out of some misguided sense of duty to "protect the child." It's far from perfect, and like you said, a far cry from the best of contemporary TV. But given how bad I feared this season would be, I'm just thrilled it's exceeded my exceptions so far. Shippers are hating, of course. Consensus is that the next 4 eps (all standalone with some mythology through-line) are better than this. Hopefully that means more than just M&S hold hands and the idea of CSM as William's father isn't mentioned.

Sleepless

« Reply #166 on: January 08, 2018, 08:43:21 AM »
+1

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1385
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2018, 05:57:29 PM »
This was an especially good episode of the podcast. "This" was also a pretty good episode of The X-Files. (I'm hilarious.)

Keva is a really superb guest. I hope you have Roi back soon as well.

Erika Price is a clear reference to Erik Prince. (Relevant article here.) I think they brought some very specific real-world concerns into the episode quite deftly.

The banter was sooo on point. And like you said, Scully's agency was off the charts in this episode. I would say it verged on overcorrection, except all of it actually worked. Is Glen Morgan the one who's historically been best at writing Scully?

Less thrilled with the sci-fi premise here. If you're going to do a Black Mirror episode, you have to take the details seriously. I suppose they didn't have much time to flesh it out, though.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Sleepless

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2018, 11:30:03 AM »
So glad you're enjoying. I've been afraid this go around wasn't as great, so that's very good to hear. Yes, Keva rocks, and the best person to be involved if there's only one guest. She'll be involved a lot more this season. Roi and Jessa are back next ep. Roi's overseas now, but we're trying to make it work for her to do more. Glen Morgan and James Wong used to write together and did some of the best S1,2+4 eps. Would have to give some greater thought on if they're/he's best at writing her though. Honestly, I would have liked to see Gillian to have taken on (co)writing an ep again, maybe with one of the Female Writers they cued up for this season.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy