1. Millions
2. Grizzly Man
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Last Days
5. Me and You and Everyone We Know
6. Mysterious Skin
7. King Kong, maybe? Need to see it again
8. Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-rabbit

Theres just too many I haven't seen yet, I'll have to come back to this one...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Top 10 Movies of this year
1. Sin City
2. Batman Begins

Bottom 10 Movies of this year
1. Alone In The Dark
2. 40 Year Old Virgin
3. Crash
4. Wedding Crashers
5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I certainly hope the movies I've been meaning to see from this year turn out great, because of what I can recall offhand, this hasn't been a great year for movies.  I still need many more, though.

EDIT: I completely forgot about Alone in the Dark and how I couldn't stop laughing at how horrible it was.  Uwe Boll is possibly one of the worst directors of our time.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

cool, bottom 10!
I haven't seen 10 bad movies this year though.

1. The Myth (the new Jackie Chan movie with some kickass fights that nevertheless broke my heart)
2. Wedding Crashers
3. Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic
4. Last Days
5. Mysterious Skin (but the ending was good)
6. Batman Begins (though it was still way better than the the other four Batmans)

there were some boring movies like Memory of a Killer and Proof, but they weren't bad.

10 movies worth a look on video if they never played at your theater:
1. Kontroll
2. The Beat That My Heart Skipped
3. The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill
4. Rize
5. S.P.L.
6. Unleashed

okay I lied, there really weren't 10 underrated movies this year.  this year wasn't as good as last year, last year was the best year yet.  This year had a really solid start of really eclectic bunch of movies that boomed in March and lasted all the way to the summer, then came Oscar season and they were just a bunch of studio films trying to fit into Miramax's shoe.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Quote from: pete on December 17, 2005, 02:37:37 AM
I would say king kong is a foreign film, since it's made in New Zealand.  or maybe an indie film too, since Lucas categorized the Star Wars franchise as indie films.
but I mean, why even argue about it here?  the argument is petty even for messageboard standards.
There's nothing to argue about.  It depends on who or which nation did the majority of the financing.  Kong is, thus, an American film (American financed, I BELIEVE), and the recent 3 Star Wars are independent because Lucas financed it himself.  Just saying.  I know it's not really what anybody's talking about.

I know people seem to generally poo poo every year except for 1999 as "a bad year for movies," but I really felt this was.  There's still Brokeback Mountain, Munich, and The New World to see, and my guess is that The New World is the only one out of those with the potential to be a breakout important masterwork... but out of what I've seen so far, there's been few movies that I felt were all that great.  Kong and Batman were pretty good.  Junebug, Wallace and Gromit, Downfall, Me and You and Everyone We Know, and Capote were the only really memorable movie experiences for me this year.  Sure, I missed a few movies that might've made the list, but I still feel like overall, especially this end of the year has been weak.  Usually there are several movies duking it out for the critics awards coming out this time of year, and thus, a whole bunch of movies to catch.  I don't feel that this year.

polkablues

Top two:
Serenity and Syriana

no particular order.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Serenity has lost its power with me. I don't think, looking back, that it lived up to the series.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Quote from: Gamblour on December 23, 2005, 08:29:54 PM
Serenity has lost its power with me. I don't think, looking back, that it lived up to the series.

Watch it again.  It did.

It has the distinction of being the only movie I saw this year which I unabashedly loved.  There were a lot of movies I liked, but none except that one gave me that exhilaration that you get from just outright enjoying a film with no reservations whatsoever.

Serenity:polkablues::KingKong:Pubrick

Weak2ndAct

This probably belongs in the 'Serenity' thread, but I gotta speak up-- that movie is shithouse.  I couldn't even make it halfway through before giving up.  Here's why: it's blantantly obvious that Whedon has no concept of film vs. tv.  There are soooo many scenes of characters just regurgitating the same plot synopsis over and over and over again.  'We should get this girl off the ship,' 'no, she's staying.'  Yadda yadda yadda.  There is no energy to the movie.  There is nothing 'filmic' happening.  Every time I blinked my eyes, there was another scene where the characters just voiced their opinions about the same shit for at least 2 mins.  There is no energy-- that 'chase scene' after robbing the bank, it could be the most awkwardly staged action scene ever.  Their ship moves so goddamn slow it blows my mind.  How all the characters are not dead escapes me.  And don't even get me started on the 'fighting.'  Ghetto-kickboxing might work for UPN, but not for a fucking movie.  And this comes from someone who likes 'Buffy.'  I don't want to hear any crap about low budgets or constraints, but there was no attempt to open the fucker up.  I really felt like I was watching a tv show-- and a bad one at that-- with black bars over the screen.  Fuck Whedon, and this movie, in the face.  The only thing more lame than this flick are the people who throw it up on a pedestal.  The reason why your coat is brown?  It's covered in bullshit.   

polkablues

Okay, but you like "Cinderella Man", the biggest slice of empty phoniness since "Return of the King".

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Top 11 Movies of 2005 I Have Yet To See (For One Reason Or Another)

11. The New World
10. Rize
9. Syrianna
8. Jarhead
7. Eros
6. Brokeback Mountain
5. The Squid and The Whale
4. Everything Is Illuminated
3. Palindromes
2. Me and You and Everyone We Know
1. Saraband

I know some are out on DVD, I just still am yet to see these movies.  Are there any that people would put extra emphasis on seeing or not so much bothering with?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 9 are on my list of must-sees or must-see-agains.