saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

godardian

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI think Horatio Sanz is hilarious, myself.  His characters, as Cinephile said, make him so.  Shalit is a revelation, and in the sketch Fallon and Dratch do about the Bostonians, his character is hilarious.  Ditto with his sketch with Fallon about the web broadcast.  In fact, everyone on SNL is stellar this year.  What Cinephile said is right: this has been a very good season.  And godardian's avatar keeps changing like every five minutes.  How eerily interesting.

I was trying to find a good one... the first one was best, but it had a really deformed-looking left side. Stupid computers...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

Jeff Richards has been fired says www.snlonline.tv

Hmmm, well, I thought he was better than Seth Meyers if that means anything
I like to hug dogs

cine

Whoa. Thanks for the news. That comes as a shock to me. Although I disagree and think Meyers is much better, I felt Richards was getting better with every show.

ono

I feel bad for the guy.  He had his moments.  Wonder why he got canned.  Maybe the weakest link in a strong cast.  He of course had drunk girl, which was what he was most known for I imagine, though I found it unfunny at times.  And he's always had those other impressions that were good because you knew it was him but didn't distract.  It'd be interesting to hear the story behind this.

cine

I'm going to miss that Gary Busey impression.

Is it a coincidence that his last show featured him doing the "Live From New York..."? I highly doubt it.

ono

Quote from: CinephileI'm going to miss that Gary Busey impression.
"My farts smell like butterscotch.  No really, they smell like butt or scotch."

And then there was the line about smelling colors.  DirecTV.  Gotta love it.

cine

I've missed a couple of the past SNL's but taped and watched the Janet Jackson one last night. They had one sketch that had me crying because it was so funny. Don't know if I should spoil it though since the premise alone is what makes it so great. Anyway, it was a funny show and Jackson made fun of herself about a half dozen times with the whole breast thing. Good show.

ono

You're probably thinking of the same one I am, Cinebunny (hah), if we're on the same wavelength.  It's probably the only really funny sketch SNL's had in awhile.  The Affleck show was great, but let's face it, it's been in a bit of a slump with the lackluster Trump show, and now this Jackson show with the obvious jokes and the one funny sketch.  The winery one, right?

And unfortunately, in two weeks I think it is, Lindsay Lohan hosts with Usher as musical guest.  She's from Mean Girls, which explains that.  But still, I hate how SNL seems to be show after show of the star who's hogging the current spotlight with their fifteen minutes, with nothing to offer comedically.  Looking back on the season, the Timberlake episode was one of the best this year, 'cause he was willing and able to make fun of himself (and Kutcher -- YOU JUST GOT PUNKED -- I'M AWESOME!) and the writing was solid.  Not so much this time around.  C'mon, where's Will Ferrell coming back to host when he's needed?  They were on the right track with calling Kattan and Morgan back to do that sketch with Fallon, Sanz, and Cowell.  And I'm sure they could do better than ... Lindsay who?  That's right, Lohan.  Bleh.

cine

Quote from: OnomatopaellaThe winery one, right?
Oh yes. That one and the Prince Show are the ones I will be replaying many times. I missed the Affleck and Trump shows :(

Quote from: OnomatopaellaBut still, I hate how SNL seems to be show after show of the star who's hogging the current spotlight with their fifteen minutes, with nothing to offer comedically.
Yes, but I've accepted that that's just the nature of SNL's show. Always has been and I think its moreso now than ever.

The Timberlake show was great - so many hilarious highlights: Barry Gibb talk show, Kermit, Punk'd, Bolton, and so on. I really want them to go nuts with the Olsen Twins for the season finale.

Slick Shoes

I liked the "Fear Factor Junior" skit they did two weeks ago: "If you answer it wrong, you're parents get divorced!"

mogwai

i'm watching a re-run where sean penn is hosting. it's quite dated and i was wondering from which year it was broadcast? thanks.

cine

Quote from: mogwaii'm watching a re-run where sean penn is hosting. it's quite dated and i was wondering from which year it was broadcast? thanks.
October 24th, 1987.

mogwai

whoa... thanks... i'm watching a skit where penn is doing a de niro impression.

ono

Alright, so SNL just went off.  Host Lindsay Lohan with musical guest Usher.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Highlight of the night was a sketch that probably would've died had Rachel Dratch not gotten a severe case of the giggles.  Instead, it became one of the funniest sketches in awhile.  Poor Rachel had to deal with constant close-ups where she was supposed to look morose as "Debbie Downer," but instead, each time, she burst into giggles.

No Fred Armisen that I remember.  The Tattoo-removal commercial was inspired.  The Jared's Room sketch was forgettable, though they're usually a highlight of the show.  Only really inspired moment were the lines the robot had, especially the "whoa -- what if I'm human and you're the robots?"  I wonder if they're going to remember continuity for next season -- they say Jared's moving out of his room, so will they bring the sketch back in a different room, discontinue it, or totally forget about that?

Nice to see Tina Fey in a sketch, but she was underused.  Still, it was decent.  The whole sleep-over sketch was kind of lame.  The Harry Potter sketch as a one-joke wonder, but it had its moments.  Overall, though, it was a very good episode.  And for awhile I definitely empathized with the students at Hogwarts, 'cause, well, Lindsay Lohan done grew up.  She's truly gorgeous -- and not anorexic, to boot!  I think that's it.  If I can't remember it, it probably wasn't that great.

El Duderino

Quote from: OnomatopitaAlright, so SNL just went off.  Host Lindsay Lohan with musical guest Usher.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Highlight of the night was a sketch that probably would've died had Rachel Dratch not gotten a severe case of the giggles.  Instead, it became one of the funniest sketches in awhile.  Poor Rachel had to deal with constant close-ups where she was supposed to look morose as "Debbie Downer," but instead, each time, she burst into giggles.

No Fred Armisen that I remember.  

yeah, the Debbie Downer skit was great. and Fred was one of the European MTV-like show host with Maya Rudolph and he sat next to lindsay during Debbie Downer
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?