saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

ono

I like Sanz!  But kudos for the awful pun.  Hehe.

Anyway, SNL's episode tonight surprised me.  Roddick was pretty good, and I loved how they kept playing out the "no experience" angle and the McEnroe stuff.  Weekend Update was great.  Loved the line about the dog and the gun ... "fetch this motha-*BANG*!"  Great.  So much good stuff there tonight.  I totally didn't expect it, 'cause like I said ... "who's Andy Roddick?"  Yeah, yeah, I know now.  The last sketch was a bit amusing, but I'm glad they cut it off when it did.  That premise could get old really fast, and a lot of times they like to beat dead horses on that show.  Time Traveling Scott Joplin was a hoot.  Surprised McEnroe didn't take part in that sketch.  Jock Talk was kind of lame, but it had its moments, too.  There wasn't any sketch that was really awful in this show (except for Merv the Perv which I had almost blocked out from my memory completely by the time I posted this), and as I said, Weekend Update had me in stitches.  So yeah.  Great show.

Ravi

I always like Time Traveling with Scott Joplin.

edison

the monologue had me rolling, imitating Andre was the funniest thing especially with the girls danceing in the background

i was worried for a second because i though all the characters of roddick would be named Andy Roddick.

didnt care much for Dave Matthews

cine

They tried to jam the idea down our throats the whole show that, yes, Andy Roddick can be entertaining. Well, I guess. But I look at it as he can last in entertaining sketches. He never really did anything that I liked on the show. He was better than Jeter though. Much better. McEnroe's "Heeere's Johnny" had me crying. And he pleased me by doing it about three times. Fuck, that impression was hilarious. That whole commentating segment with Parnell was one of the main highlights for me. The in-joke about Martin Lawrence was funny, along with the Brody one. Will Forte - again - proved he is the guy I tune for the most. "Black janitor guy" during the singing of names.. oh, so funny. And Tim Calhoun! My favourite WU character. And I actually really like the Merv the Perv sketches. I think Parnell's one liners are great - "dah dah dahdahdahdah dah dah Do Me." Sounds dumb on here but I laughed really hard at that. It's Parnell though.. nobody else in that cast could do that. Richards' "FIRE IT UP!" on Jock Talk will likely catch on as that got the most laughs of the sketch.
REALLY looking forward to Alec Baldwin next week on SNL - but I wish we could get some shweaty balls on that show. Let's at least pray for a Falconer!

Banky

i hated how they jammed down the idea that roddick was number one in the world.  It was alsolame how the prime time players or whatever got more sketches then the good paert of the cast.  i turned it off after weekend update.  I thought Horatio Sanz on Wekend update was funny.  I like when Jimmy Falon breaks character.

Fishbulb

I mainly miss the commercials...they're not as good as they used to be. That's Not Yogurt, but also great ones like Robot Insurance, Gator Ade cookie dough, Schmitts Gay, Oops I Crapped My Pants, The I'm #1 hat...

Robot Insurance and Oops I Crapped My Pants were both written by Adam McKay; he was in the Upright Citizens Brigade and was the head writer for the show back a few years ago when it was good. He's also the guy who wrote and directed that "Anchorman" movie with Will Ferrell.

Sleuth

Quote from: Fishbulb
I mainly miss the commercials...they're not as good as they used to be. That's Not Yogurt, but also great ones like Robot Insurance, Gator Ade cookie dough, Schmitts Gay, Oops I Crapped My Pants, The I'm #1 hat...

Robot Insurance and Oops I Crapped My Pants were both written by Adam McKay; he was in the Upright Citizens Brigade and was the head writer for the show back a few years ago when it was good. He's also the guy who wrote and directed that "Anchorman" movie with Will Ferrell.

I like you

I think McKay also wrote the Bill Brasky sketches, do you know if that's true?
I like to hug dogs

Fishbulb

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he did. They haven't done a Brasky sketch since he left.

SoNowThen

Robot Insurance

haha
a classic!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Maya Rudolph made the show for me last night: "Ya know what ah hate? Ah hate goin' to mah husband's rape trial!"
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

She was really funny in that. The show needs more Time Traveling With Scott Joplin...

aclockworkjj

sorta on subject...but did anyone happen to catch this new Tracy Morgan show?...pretty funny stuff.

freakerdude

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI mainly miss the commercials...they're not as good as they used to be.  That's Not Yogurt, but also great ones like Robot Insurance, Gator Ade cookie dough, Schmitts Gay, Oops I Crapped My Pants, The I'm #1 hat...

Priceless.

Mel's Char Palace
Cluckin Chicken
Super Happy Fun Ball
Colon Blow
The Love Toilet
Calvin Kleen
Monster Spray Repellent
the mtn. family feud for the town's Spring Water
roach motel torture chamber
anyone remember the Herihley Boy.....the house sitter commercial?

Funniest ever........Hybernol!
MC Pee Pants

NEON MERCURY

.where is toonnces the driving cat.......

that sh*t was phucking awesome .....

i don't see how you guys can still watch SNL  post sandler, farley, hartman, spade, etc.....i try to but at most  the shows are a little above par compared to a  high school remake of little shop of horrors....

but i guess most of you guys grew up w/ the "nnewer"cast....and donn't know annny better.......

if you have anny questioons about when SNL was actually funny and didnn't rely on chris katan( :roll: )... and horatio sannnz( :roll: :roll: ) let me know.....

Sleuth

I can't even remember when I started watching SNL, but it was really early(edit:  early in my life), and that's why it took so long for me to finally not care if I miss an episode (happened late last season).  I watched at least one episode this season, at most 2.  Tragic that I know some of those people are funnier than they are on SNL.
I like to hug dogs