Best Visual Effects: ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND

THE NOMINEES

The Aviator
The Day After Tomorrow
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Spider-Man 2

Myxo

This beats both Spiderman 2 and Sky Captain for special effects?

picolas

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MyxomatosisThis beats both Spiderman 2 and Sky Captain for special effects?

Special Effects don't have to mean "computer effects", or in the case for those two movies, "computer-based movies"

Kal

True... but visual effects... give me a break... Spidey nailed that one... thats one thing nobody can criticize about the movie!

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Myxomatosisspecial effects?
Visual effects. They need not be computer-generated.

Actually, I thought the CGI when Joel gets shrunk was a little tacky... it's the organic stuff (like the hair face or the sink or the crumbling house) that's really good. It makes me happy that this movie won this award its inaugural year.

socketlevel

Quote from: MyxomatosisThis beats both Spiderman 2 and Sky Captain for special effects?

special effects doesn't always mean computer special effects. this was a great departure from this common style.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Pubrick

the category is Visual Effects.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanActually, I thought the CGI when Joel gets shrunk was a little tacky....
thats not cgi, its also practical.  didnt you watch the special features?  they built a set where the perspective makes him look small because everything towards the back of the set is huge and the front is regular sized.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02thats not cgi, its also practical.  didnt you watch the special features?  they built a set where the perspective makes him look small because everything towards the back of the set is huge and the front is regular sized.
I know, I know, but I swear there's at least one moment when he is CGI (I think it's when someone else big is next to him). It was really noticeable.

modage

i dunno....  you'd have to find the shot and cap it.

imdb trivia: Virtually all of the most bizarre and fascinating scenes in this movie were created with old fashioned camera, editing, lighting and prop/set tricks. The use of digital effects was very limited. The striking kitchen scene with Joel as a child was created with an elaborate forced perspective set-up similar to some used by Peter Jackson in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02The striking kitchen scene with Joel as a child was created with an elaborate forced perspective set-up similar to some used by Peter Jackson in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
I pointed out on page 7 that the same kind of thing was done in The Sea That Thinks. That movie's forced perspective was far more interesting (and elaborate) than Eternal Sunshine's (or LOTR's for that matter).

pete

are you saying that the sea that thinks invented two-shot with two characters or seemingly different sizes?  have you ever been to a science museum?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: peteare you saying that the sea that thinks invented two-shot with two characters or seemingly different sizes?
No, I'm just saying it was better.

The best part is when the guy shrinks when he walks from his bed to the door (it happens in that bedroom with the checkered floor).