Beck: Guero

Started by Alexandro, January 20, 2005, 05:58:59 PM

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on November 26, 2005, 10:54:00 PM
there are 4 new songs up at beck.com.  they're good.  it's like old beck is back from his guero mediocrity.  unfortunately they seem to be 'exclusive' to his site and theres no word on whether you'll be able to get them in any (iTunes/cd) form so for now, stream away...  www.beck.com

i checked those out, too. they sounded great except for the repeating sound in the background of the webpage (maybe related to that rotating satellite dish). did you figure out how to turn that off?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on November 27, 2005, 12:32:59 AM
Quote from: modage on November 26, 2005, 10:54:00 PM
there are 4 new songs up at beck.com.  they're good.  it's like old beck is back from his guero mediocrity.  unfortunately they seem to be 'exclusive' to his site and theres no word on whether you'll be able to get them in any (iTunes/cd) form so for now, stream away...  www.beck.com

i checked those out, too. they sounded great except for the repeating sound in the background of the webpage (maybe related to that rotating satellite dish). did you figure out how to turn that off?
i didn't hear any repeating sound except when actively clicking through the menus. in any event you can disable the site's sound effects by clicking this icon:

on the left side of the main menu.

while there everyone should check out the Hell Yes video, wherein u will find crono's av.. and perhaps reconsider what it means to be human.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

this wasn't menu related, i just had the page up in the background so i could hear the music while i was surfing.
thanks though.
so Hell Yes was released as a single? i thought from the get go that had the potential to be a hit single/club smash.
"fax machine anthems, get your damn hands up!"

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

sickfins

it's fucked up

the original album on some terrible drug.  good if you like remixes i suppose

context, context, context.

RegularKarate

The remix of Girl is great.

modage

Quote from: bigideas on December 01, 2005, 09:36:55 PM
how is it? i'm not really big on remix stuff to begin with.
me neither.  new trend is putting out A. greatest hits album, or B. remix album.  see: flooded marketplace.

as far as the beck album goes, Girl, Broken Drum, and the b-side Clap Hands were all on the deluxe Guero.  and the Hell Yes remix was available on the iTunes Gameboy Variations EP and E-Pro was also an iTunes single.  so that leaves 9 new remixes.  they range from pretty good to forgetable.  i am a huge beck fan but dont think i'll be buying this as i'm not sure (yet) if any of these tracks improve their Guero counterparts.  i'll give it a few more listens. 

i would drop $4 in a second for an EP of the new songs at www.beck.com  why don't they sell THOSE on iTunes?!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

i turned them  into mp3's. i can send them to you if you want to
context, context, context.

modage

there are 2 new Nick Drake covers up at beck.com "Parasite" and "Which Will".  they're good.  it's like old beck is back from his guero mediocrity.  unfortunately they seem to be 'exclusive' to his site and theres no word on whether you'll be able to get them in any (iTunes/cd) form so for now, stream away...  www.beck.com

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: modage on January 10, 2006, 02:34:16 PM
there are 2 new songs up at beck.com "Parasite" and "Which Will".  they're good.  it's like old beck is back from his guero mediocrity.  unfortunately they seem to be 'exclusive' to his site and theres no word on whether you'll be able to get them in any (iTunes/cd) form so for now, stream away...  www.beck.com

mod, so i get an idea of your tastes rate these 5 albums from best to worse

vultures
sea change
odelay
mutations
mellow

edit: heres mine

sea change
mutations
vultures
mellow
odelay

modage

vultures
odelay
mutations
sea change
guero
mellow

mutations and sea change are about even.  and everything above guero is varying degrees of incredible love.  odelay is a little like a time capsule cause it is such a landmark but it's still great.

modage

From Rolling Stone..

From there we met up with Beck, and the Bard of the Barrio told us what's cracklin' in 2006.  He'll play some gigs with Radiohead this summer and celebrate the tenth b-day of Odelay with a deluxe reissue ("I'm trying to find the original 'Debra'", Beck says, "because it was originally recorded for Odelay").  He'll also finish up an album he started two years back with producer Nigel Godrich.  "We recorded everything in a week.", Beck says "And ever since we've been working on it a little bit at a time."  He describes it as the bridge between Sea Change and Guero, citing a tune called "The Girl From R.I.P.anema" that chronicles a disappionting trip to Brazil. And if that weren't enough, he's also scoring and writing tunes for director Jared Hess' follow-up to Napoleon Dynamite starring Jack Black.  "No filmmaker since Fellini has had such an eye for amazing characters," says Beck.  "So it's called Nacho Libre- it's about monks who secretly want to be wrestlers.  They have pointy white boots and tights under their robes." 

bonanzataz

Quote from: modage on January 11, 2006, 09:09:35 PM
vultures
odelay
mutations
sea change
guero
mellow

mutations and sea change are about even.  and everything above guero is varying degrees of incredible love.  odelay is a little like a time capsule cause it is such a landmark but it's still great.

in true messageboard form, all i'm gonna say is - you don't like mellow gold. you're a fucking douchebag.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls