Unscripted

Started by MacGuffin, January 03, 2005, 03:39:43 PM

MacGuffin

Hopeless auditions. Sleazy agents. Chance meetings with Hollywood heavyweights. It's all part of day-to-day life for the struggling actor in Los Angeles — and the setting for HBO's new series, UNSCRIPTED.

From Steven Soderbergh's and George Clooney's Section Eight production company, UNSCRIPTED is a half-hour comedy series that blends improvisation and real incidents to chronicle the lives of three promising young actors as they navigate the rough waters of show business. "The truth of the matter is less than five percent of our union makes all the money," Clooney says. "And that's just the people in the union. There are so many actors that get up every morning and — forget getting a job — they try to get an agent. Or an audition. We're trying to show what it is that we do. It's completely unlike the way it's usually portrayed."

As its name implies, UNSCRIPTED features no written lines of dialogue. The cast members improvise their lines in situations based on their own experiences and those of the show's creators. There are no rehearsals, no retakes and no reshoots. The result is a dry-humored insider's look at what it takes to make it big — or at least make a living — in Hollywood.

UNSCRIPTED stars Krista Allen, Bryan Greenberg and Jennifer Hall, essentially playing themselves as struggling actors. Stage and screen veteran Frank Langella co-stars as Goddard Fulton, a noted actor who leads them in an acting workshop at Los Angeles' fabled Tamarind Theater.

Throughout the ten-episode series, Krista, Bryan and Jennifer appear in real-life situations, including a maze of offices and real film productions, crossing paths with real-life Hollywood stars and directors. From humiliating jobs and padded resumes to professional breakthroughs, UNSCRIPTED offers a revealing look at the sometimes raucous, often disillusioning world of the struggling actor.

UNSCRIPTED is the second HBO project from Section Eight, the production company founded by Steven Soderbergh and George Clooney. In 2003, Section Eight produced the political drama "K Street" for HBO. The executive producers of UNSCRIPTED are George Clooney, Steven Soderbergh and Grant Heslov. Matt Adler is co-executive producer. UNSCRIPTED is produced by Michael Hissrich and Joanne Toll. The series is directed by George Clooney and Grant Heslov.

Premieres in January with back-to-back episodes on Sunday the 9th at 10PM, with encores Wednesdays at 11PM.

Trailer here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Sounds more interesting than the trailer makes it out to be. I like that I saw that guy from Congo in it, the guy laughing "Could you take off the hat?" I think the non-Playboy/bikini girl will be the most interesting to watch.
WWPTAD?

modage

i'm just glad its not a reality show.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

metroshane

good to see Tracy Gold getting work again. :yabbse-undecided:
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

MacGuffin

A while back, there was a fascinating reality show on Bravo that ran for two seasons (NY and LA) called, "The It Factor" that followed a group of about seven struggling actors trying to break into the business (one of them went on to play the villian part in SWAT after playing the lead in Dahmer), and the difficuties of persuing that dream. Unscripted is just as great. Although 'staged,' the show is rooted in reality and the reality of what the life of an actor is like; the unglamorous side. Funny, yet, at times, moving at what they must suffer for for their art.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

I just finished watching the whole run on tape, and I must say, it's quite underrated.  If you live/have lived in LA, it rings quite true (in fact, I was shocked to discover that a former acquaintance was a recurring cast member!) and there are some really hilarious moments.  Top notch cameos too.  Sucks there won't be any more eps, but it's a seriously specific show.  Not the slightest bit surprised it got canned.

modage

its like the other side of entourage.  the acting side.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.