Best DVD

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 05, 2003, 11:03:50 AM

Ernie

Quote from: Phil MarloweMy post was crude, I can accept that, but I just can't see any good reasons for not voting LOTR. The DVD should be beyond the years best and i hate to see it not getting credit because of the mindless grudge of the LOTR bashers who doesn't like the DVD for lame reasons.

Maybe TRT was a better movie but never a better DVD.

Alright, I'll give you that. LOTR is definitely a better DVD, hands down. I guess I really voted for TRT in this category just because I love the movie.

And I'm not necessarily holding a grudge with LOTR, but with the entire genre more like...the whole fantasy epic thing. I'm not into a lot of that stuff. There are some exceptions I guess...but not many.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Best DVD: THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS  (The Criterion Collection)

WHAT?!  this was the most disappointing dvd ever.  i really thought criterion would load the disc up with more features.  RUSHMORE had a shit load of features!  LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (extended edition) was a far superior dvd.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

RegularKarate

Quote from: Phil MarloweMaybe TRT was a better movie but never a better DVD.

Right, that's all I'm sayin' here.  This DVD is good for people who are interested in filmmaking... even if you don't like the fucking movie, it goes through everything, from adaptation to post-production even through to the DVD production.  Watching the extras on this DVD, you get to know what kind of pains are put into making a film... especially this one.

I think it had to do with anti-LOR bullshit as well as people not understanding the category is about the DVD, not the film.

moonshiner

Quote from: ebeaman69the whole fantasy epic thing. I'm not into a lot of that stuff. There are some exceptions I guess...but not many.

LOTR is an exception...the DVD is phenomenal, so is the movie. R.Tenenbaums was a really good movie, but the DVD was not even as good as the Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back DVD...the idea of putting the movie together with the stuff Jackson originally left out i'm sure was a painstaking and costly process...the score was redone to flow with the added material...and though the movie would've suffered greatly if it was shown in theaters like this (especially critically), it added so much back to the story, and is a joy to watch in the comfort of your own home.

btw...Fuck Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Xixax

Quote from: moonshiner
Quote from: ebeaman69the whole fantasy epic thing. I'm not into a lot of that stuff. There are some exceptions I guess...but not many.

LOTR is an exception...the DVD is phenomenal, so is the movie. R.Tenenbaums was a really good movie, but the DVD was not even as good as the Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back DVD...the idea of putting the movie together with the stuff Jackson originally left out i'm sure was a painstaking and costly process...the score was redone to flow with the added material...and though the movie would've suffered greatly if it was shown in theaters like this (especially critically), it added so much back to the story, and is a joy to watch in the comfort of your own home.

Man, I can't agree more - on all points.

I had actually considered NOT seeing Two Towers in the theater. Having never read any Tolkien, seeing the FotR movie on VHS first and then the SE DVD, I found that the DVD extended version told so much more of the story that I didn't want to see an "edit" of the second one. I wanted to see it all, so I considered just waiting for the Two Towers extended DVD. I do hope they do another DVD set for Two Towers with an extended film. It's just so much better that way.

And oh yeah... Kevin Smith's movies do suck!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

Quote from: rudieob
WHAT?!  this was the most disappointing dvd ever.  i really thought criterion would load the disc up with more features.  RUSHMORE had a shit load of features!  LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (extended edition) was a far superior dvd.

Too bad. XIXAX has spoken!

Redlum

Quote from: XixaxI do hope they do another DVD set for Two Towers with an extended film. It's just so much better that way.

And oh yeah... Kevin Smith's movies do suck!

Peter Jackson spoke to Aint it cool News and said he's busy doing it with something like 150 new effects shots to be completed for it.  So he doesn't even have time to the trailer for Return of the King yet.

I've watched the Documentary on Digital Grading a few times now, it's all so interesting. The way they desaturate Bormoirs face slightly after he dies.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

©brad

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: RaikusI'll have to disagree greatly with you there. The additional half hour makes the movie twice as good. You can't steamline a book like that to three hours.

And LOTR had *clears throat* BY FAR the best DVD set put out... ever (with perhaps the exception of Evil Dead: Book of the Dead). The packaging, the extras, the interface--all were just about perfect.

LOTR didnt win because many of us hate the movie and were unable to give credit where its due.

speak for yourself bud.

Ernie

Quote from: moonshiner

Wait, why did you quote me? Are you are trying to sway my opinion on LOTR. If you are, let me just tell you...it's a lost cause...so I'm just wondering.

abbey road

get over it, lord of the rings sucks, royal tenenbaums is a truly good movie. go play dungeons and dragons and let us watch movies.
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"