Friends (spoilers page 2 onwards, probably)

Started by Banky, May 06, 2004, 06:59:17 PM

Banky

In honor of the sereis finale tonight I thought i would start a thread.  I really enjoy this show and it is one of the easiest and most repeatable shows to watch.  It sounds corny but the season by season dvd's really helped me through some dark days.  Anyone else like the show or plan on watching the finale?

SHAFTR

I hate Friends, I really do.  It's a 10 year long romantic comedy.  I also want to point out that Lisa Kudrow is the worst thing invented.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

El Duderino

I have stopped watching Friends for one reason....it sucks. or at least it does this season. i dunno, i might take a gander at the finale, but doubtful.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

bonanzataz

Quote from: SHAFTRI also want to point out that Lisa Kudrow is the worst thing invented.

????????

a guilty pleasure. lisa kudrow could have been a movie star if she got better parts. she's hilarious in analyze this and i remember her being good in the opposite of sex. then she made hanging up, lucky numbers, and marci x. oh well...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

meatwad

i actually think that lisa kudrow is the best out of the cast watch the opposite of sex and you will think the same.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Banky

Alethia

i love friends.  i admit the older episodes are better, but i have such a great deal of affection for the characters by now.  this show started when i was 8, so i've grown up with it.  im glad its ended tho, perfect timing.

Banky

great signature, that one was of my favorite story lines

A World Apart

I waited all day for this to happen. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out, although, i enjoy a good tragic ending so if one of them would have died somehow in an ironic twist of fate, it would have been quite entertaining. But, I digress, I cried like a baby even when watching the previews for it. Unfortunately, the new show "Joey" will take the time slot and will fail miserably.
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

Ghostboy

I got a little misty eyed, despite myself.

The Perineum Falcon

All those breaks were a travesty! Every 2 mins, I swear!

But I thought the hour before the actual show was sadder than...the...actual...show?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ono

I love the show.  Sucks that it's off.  It's great, always been great, and though some of the episodes this season haven't been as funny, and have lapsed into sexual humor as a last resort, it's still better than 99% of the shows out there.  Like Banky said, it's a show that'll get you through days when you're down, and they have great replay value.  I'm looking forward to seeing how "Joey" turns out, even though I'm skeptical.  The preview aired during the finale looks promising, though they can be misleading.

And anyone who dismisses Friends as a "10-year-long romantic comedy," or hates it for any other oft-cited or arbitrary reason probably hasn't given it enough of a chance to judge it.  The show is much more than that.

The finale was just so perfect.  I wasn't expecting much, but it's probably the best series finale of any show I've ever seen.  I didn't want it to end.  The writing was at its peak here, and it made me forget about some of the weaker episodes this season, but it's a good thing the show's ended now so it won't deteriorate any further and still go out when it's still funnier than most shows.

After the show, it'll be interesting to see what all of the cast does.  Lisa Kudrow definitely has dramatic talent potential.  I've heard different people rave about Romy and Michelle but I really couldn't get into that one.  She's done good work in other movies, though, but she started out in comedy when Lovitz encouraged her to go to the Groundlings, so it'll probably be hard for her to break away from that.  Who knows, though?  She wanted to be a scientist like her father at first, so she definitely has the smarts to pull off dramatic roles.

Aniston, though, is the real dramatic talent.  She has the knack for picking the right roles, and will probably continue to do so after she's started her family.

Perry could do the same, as proven in his cameos in Ally McBeal and a larger extent The West Wing.  He could be a great dramatic actor as long as he gets away from being typecast as Chandler.  He was great in The Whole Nine Yards, even if he did play a Chandler-esque character.  Too bad The Whole Ten Yards looks so bad (though I haven't had a chance to see it yet).

Cox-Arquette has already made a name for herself in movies, too, so her career will be fine after she's gotten her family going, too.

What's worrisome, though, are the futures of Schwimmer and LeBlanc.  LeBlanc seems to be the weakest link, not having the greatest luck with scripts, so if "Joey" bombs, it may suck for him, but it may be a good thing, allowing him to branch out.  It could be a good thing if he turns into another Frasier, but that all depends on what type of career he wants for himself.

Schwimmer has only had a few minor films.  Breastmen.  Feh.  The Pallbearer.  Feh.  He's got skills, but again, there's the matter of typecasting for all parties involved.

NEON MERCURY

i have actaully never watched an episode of friends....i remember trying to get into it ..but as soon as i heard that ghey song..i has to turn it off......i m sure it s a good show and all but i just don' t watch that much tv...to give you guys an idea of pathetic my tv experience has been i never wathed an episode of seinfeld......so yeah, i have been under a rock...........
and the only tv related thin gi own is twin peaks(of course) ..and six feet under season one.........but the funny thing is that when i was younger i used to watch the phuck out of tv....i goit hooked on the corny sh*t like the wonder years, alf, saved by the bell, beverly hills 90210, small wonder, who s the boss, mr. belvedere, growing pains, family ties, full house, family matters, fresh prince of bel air, ..yeah, that type of sh*t.............all i usually watch on tv now is sports sh*t...and the ocassional reality tv show..........so yeah, i suck.. :|

Alethia

the only thing that disappointed me is that i so wanted it to end in central perk.  that's where it started, that's where it should have ended.  

all of them sitting on the couch, having a last cup of coffee.  

at least it ended with them on the way to get one....