what directors put out the most pimped dvds.?

Started by NEON MERCURY, April 17, 2004, 07:39:32 PM

NEON MERCURY

..this is a stupid topic but ..i would like your opinions anyway...
i know that kevin smith really cares for his fans ..and his dvds are solid..
that guy whose name that even if i spellled it no one would be able to make it out anyway...but hes the director of cronos, blade 2.hellboy..he puts out pimp dvds also.....he seems to really care about his fans......
..i was thinking speilbergh but ..i dont think he really cares about his fans..but its the studio that pimps the extras out and not bergh....(buts thats just my opinion).......definatley peter jackson w/ LOTR..extended....

what others.....?

MacGuffin

Quote from: N the E digital O rape Nwhat others.....?

David Fincher
Michael Bay
Terry Gilliam
Ridley Scott
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I'd say Fincher, head and shoulders above everyone else (except maybe Jackson, although LOTR sort of feels like a special case). Michael Bay and Terry Gilliam both have the benefit of Criterion editions. Del Toro seems to be following in Fincher's path, though, seeing as how he was touting the DVD for Hellboy before the movie was even released.

I love tricked-out extras as much as the next guy, but I'm one of the lone believers in the choices PTA made for PDL. It doesn't answer all my questions about the film, it doesn't give me tons of insight, but as far as a package that is a unified work of art and complementary every way you look at it, it hasn't been topped.

NEON MERCURY

mac and ghostboy.thanks for the input..........

i see your point w/ pdl...for me i just wanted more to it........
dvd has spoiled me that way.. :wink:

also i hav eto mention what nolan did w/ memento LE....i loved every thing on that dvd the muues are still my fav ever....and the watching the film in chronologivcal order is brilliant..and the packaging for the limited edition is perfect...nice touch....also the other features....and follwowing dvd  is decent for a small budget film....insomia is stacked 2 comm tracks and some featurettes.........the onlty thing about nolan that sucks is hios commentaries....ther're interesting but his voive put you to sleep..hes got no emotion like pta or tarantino.......
as for fincher ..i was a little dissapointed w/ seven se.the commentaries are huge but he doesn't sem to put behinds the scenes documentary sh*t like "the begining" from phantom memence.fincher does alot of "alt angles" stuff its great for maybe gettign use out of the "angle" button on my remote but it gets old fast....but thats just me..  :) .

and thuis just reminded me that lucas did a killler job on episode one and two dvds....and that bonus disk for episodes IV, V VI looks/sounds  increible...........

Ghostboy

Gotta disagree with you on Memento...the extras and packaging were nice, if not spectacular, but the I HATED the menus with a passion. I think easy access is key in DVD media...I hate animated menus that have to play out before you can access anything, and I hated the Memento disc for making me have to think to get to anything. Normally, I'm all for making people use their heads, but not in this case.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: GhostboyGotta disagree with you on Memento...the extras and packaging were nice, if not spectacular, but the I HATED the menus with a passion. I think easy access is key in DVD media...I hate animated menus that have to play out before you can access anything, and I hated the Memento disc for making me have to think to get to anything. Normally, I'm all for making people use their heads, but not in this case.

yeah, almost everyone i know hated it also.... :)

...i just had a blast phucking around and trying to find the hidden stuff.
what people found tiresome and tedious..i found refereshing and fun....
i also like when the dvds menues are infused w/ the films themes..like the cabin fever one (off the top of my head).....

also, when that memento LE was released i read that it was rumored to  have the chronological cut included....i found it by messing around w/ the menues and experimenting instead of gettign a FAQ of the net.....so i feel that i can say that i accomplished "something" in life..   :wink:

Paul Thomas Anderson. :o

also that Criterion guy  has pimpn' DVD's.
context, context, context.

ElPandaRoyal

Coppola and Paramount did a pimpy job with The Godfather (or as someone said in a moment of pure genius El Padre de Dios) DVDs.
Si

Quote from: ElPandaRoyalCoppola and Paramount did a pimpy job with The Godfather (or as someone said in a moment of pure genius El Padre de Dios) DVDs.

Isn't a new edition of the Da Godfatha  coming on DVD?
context, context, context.

ElPandaRoyal

Another one? I think the box-set I have is perfect just the way it is. Never heard anything about it...
Si

Chest Rockwell

MacGuffin

Quote from: cronopioIsn't a new edition of the Da Godfatha  coming on DVD?

Same extras. It's just a stand alone DVD for those who just want the first one.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Find Your Magali

Finally! Never did buy the DVD set (I know, I know, revoke my membership...)

I want just the first two movies and then the chronological edit of the first two films.

cine

Quote from: Find Your Magali(I know, I know, revoke my membership...)
One day, I want that to happen to somebody just to see how they react.

MacGuffin

Forgot to mention Robert Rodriguez and Soderbergh.

Skeleton FilmWorks