bad movies with good casts

Started by El Duderino, March 17, 2004, 07:49:06 PM

Pas

Quote from: molly
also My Big Fat Greek Wedding - somebody else could have done more with that script, at least the first half

We're talking good casts in a bad movie, why do you say 'someone else would have done better with the script'  :?

Find Your Magali

I have, in fact, seen "Here on Earth," and it belongs in this thread.

Michael Rooker, Annette O'Toole and Bruce Greenwood are wasted as the parental figures of the angst-ridden kids.

Alethia

bonfire of the vanities
full frontal

ElPandaRoyal

Si

coffeebeetle

Quote from: El Duderinoyou know there are a lot of bad movies with good casts.

my picks:
Hurly Burly

Please explain this further.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

molly

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: molly
also My Big Fat Greek Wedding - somebody else could have done more with that script, at least the first half

We're talking good casts in a bad movie, why do you say 'someone else would have done better with the script'  :?

are you mad at me because i didn't respond on this question?
I've read this post, but then i didn't know how exactly to compose my answer, so i left it aside untill i figure it out. But, i completely forgot about it, sorry, my bad.
I still can't be more specific than this - i have a feeling, while watching this movie, that jokes and lines were delivered badly, like the director didn't have a sense of humor. Timing of the lines on some places is very bad, as if director directed a sitcom with recorded laugh, but the final version went out without that laugh, and in the end the audience was left with scenes that have awkward silence after funny places. This is more an impression, can't shape it different.

SoNowThen

Quote from: mollylines were delivered badly

Wouldn't that mean that the cast wasn't all that good?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

molly

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: mollylines were delivered badly

Wouldn't that mean that the cast wasn't all that good?

i think they were ok. I have an impression that the director thought it's an easy job, and that there is nothing to be careful about - a different angle, a different arrangement could have been better.The characters weren't persuasive, but that's not blame of the actors, but it's like director expected the audience to laugh every 2 minutes. In most of the good comedies, you giggle, not laugh.

El Duderino

Quote from: coffeebeetle
Quote from: El Duderinoyou know there are a lot of bad movies with good casts.

my picks:
Hurly Burly

Please explain this further.

umm....it was a bad movie with a potentially good cast?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

sciphex

Morgan Freeman in Bruce Almighty gets my vote...
My name is Jimmy, but my friends just call me the hideous penguin boy.

Tictacbk

cine

Quote from: TictacbkMars Attacks!
Good one.

Jeremy Blackman

rustinglass

aw, come on! that was great!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

molly

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: TictacbkMars Attacks!
Good one.

this is the only movie where i really liked Pierce Brosnan. He's to neat in James Bond. Irritating neat.