Can someone please help?

Started by You Never Got Me Down Ray, March 03, 2004, 12:24:41 PM

You Never Got Me Down Ray

I think I'm gonna pick up the GL2 soon. I want the dvx100, but I've seen the GL2 for as low as $1400 and the lowest I've seen the dvx is $2100. After debating, I decided that I'd rather go with the cheaper cam since I'm very very new to this.

So my question is, what do I need (specifically) to compliment the cam? Do i need a wide angle lens or does it shoot in 16:9 already?(the canon site states it shoots in 16:9, but some sites dont specify this) What kind of UV/filters do i need, etc? I'm not familiar with which brands are good and which are shit, so this would help tremendously. Thanks.

Also, which editing program is recommended for a PC? (I have a VAIO notebook) Thanks again.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

SoNowThen

Adobe Premier Pro is a pretty good editing program.

And if you're gonna go with the Canon GL2, why not go for the Canon filter set? I have them, and they're decent.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Redlum

Personally I dont think a wide angle lens for the GL2 is owrth it. I have GL2 and its a very good camera, very versatile and I'm glad I chose to start off with it. It doesn't shoot 16:9, although it has 'fake widescreen' which I dont suggest using (better to just letterbox in post).

It has a built in ND filter, I'm not sure how strong it is but its on Canon's website. Strong enough to get good results on a sunny day without having to close the iris that much. I recommend getting a polarising filter which will increase saturation quite a bit (especially to get some nice blue skys). I got mine from Tiffen who do a great range of proffessional filters for prosumer DV cameras, although there are cheaper brands.

I really think premiere is a great way to start on editing but obviously at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what you use. You're aren't really going to be doing anything beyond straight cuts and dissolves. Once you get bored with Premiere you can always jump up to AvidDvExpress, but obviously they'll be a big price jump there, too.

My university have just got a load of Dvx100's on the cheap as I believe Panasonic are releasing an updated model with a lot of fixes. Might want to watch for a price drop but at the end of the day its not gonna get you much closer to the film look than the GL2 and a bit of post production tweaking(although I've yet to use it).

Good luck.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Thanks guys. Anyone else have some good advice?

Love the new avatar btw edlum
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

How much will I be looking at for a real good wide angle lens? The site i wanna buy my camera on has a "Pro" wide angle lens converter for $700 and that seems high knowing i've seen others go for only $100. I dont know the brand name.

cowboykurtis

canon's optics and chips are fucking trash -- buy a sony if youre gonna buy one
...your excuses are your own...

Pedro

sony's the best way to go.  and if you're going to go into combat with it, take a panasonic

panasonic dvx-100 or sony vx2000???
What brand wide angle lens? should I get a 16:9 lens instead?
2x telephoto lens worth it?
What brand filters?
Warranty?

Thanks.

subversiveproductions

i'm not an expert, but i'm pretty sure that a 16:9 lens isn't going to make a difference, because you're still capturing your image on a 4:3 chip.  you'd need a 16:9 chip to get true 16:9.
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

warmstepvision

In fact the anamorphic lense does make a difference by squizing the horizontal resolution and stretching out vertical so on play back you get a good 1.78:1 image. Now if by true you mean 2.35:1 then no anamorphic adapter can come close. But keep in mind a 35mm film frame is 4:3 so this is done optically. What we are doing here is just squizing/ stretching the picture so it can fit on our 4:3 chip.  I would definitely own one of those along with the dvx100, some legs, a good fluid head, homemade jib and some cheap lights.

SoNowThen

Specs for homemade jib, please.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

warmstepvision

Well i have a few pages you might be interested in.
http://www.studio1productions.com/dv_jib.htm
http://www.habbycam.com/superjib.html
Take a look at the design, seems not very complex. I am thinking about giving it a shot after i get my tripod and legs. There are home made tutorials that are out there but i seem to prefer the cable version where you can control both the camera tilt and the general height of the jib. Have yet to see a homemade cable operated jib but my search has not been that deep.
Some links on homemade versions
http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/
http://www.jorenclark.com/studentfilms/jib/jib.html

Recce

Don't be fooled by sites that say their camera's shoot in 16:9. They don't really. It basically adds black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, without giving any more space on the sides. Don't let that be a deciding factor. If you want black bars jsut for the sake of having black bars, you can add them in post. Once again, the Sony PD150's are pretty good. This is what I use in school and I'm impressed every time. So long as you know how to use them.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Quote from: RecceDon't be fooled by sites that say their camera's shoot in 16:9. They don't really. It basically adds black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, without giving any more space on the sides. Don't let that be a deciding factor. If you want black bars jsut for the sake of having black bars, you can add them in post. Once again, the Sony PD150's are pretty good. This is what I use in school and I'm impressed every time. So long as you know how to use them.

Actually.. thats incorrect.. while it's not physically squishing the image.. it still isn't just "adding black bars"

But in any case... 16:9 on those cameras = lame
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"