Best Horror Movies

Started by Jake_82, November 24, 2003, 09:03:28 PM

classical gas

Quote from: Bankyman i miss tremesloth and the connan avatar

its just not the same

yes!  i've always thought of him as conan, the man himself.  but now it's this ucb, which is cool; here, have some of my ass pennies...

Banky

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: Banky
IT

SPOILER

..... :arrow: ..the thing that i hated about it(get it)...was the ending..it was so damn stupid withthe guy and girl riding the bicycle off into the sunnnset..it pissed me the phuck offff to the extreme b/c the whole film up to the ending was FLAWLESS.....

yeah, more than that i hated yhe whole speder thing.  that movie fucked me up as a kid.  It had so many creepy parts and i really like it all until the end.

Gold Trumpet

I'm not much of a horror fan at all. Muholland Drive, Lost Highway and others have elements of horror to them, but they are not horror films.

The only horror movie I really appreciate is Silence of the Lambs. Others are good, but Silence of the Lambs is magnificent. Chop off the genre beginning and end and you have a bulk of film that prolly understands best how to use horror. Its not that the film break grounds in using pyshcological horror, but it seems like it has the best elements in which to use it. First, Hannibal Lector is given the perfect actor to play him. No unrealistic costume or grosque make up to make him chilling, but Hopkins relying only on Hopkins. The realism of his character makes him more identifiable, thus more chilling. Second, the story allows full investigation of Lector. Its so remote that much of the film is just interviewing Lector behind the glass wall to his prison cell. Everything that is terrible about him is not measured up by previous scenes of him killing at all, but what we think he could do. Other horror movies seem to mix both together so that it can please more audiences. With every advancement of pyschological horror, comes a murder that disrupts the environment. For everything we can imagine about potential horror, actual murders feel too punctual.

I also think the original Pyscho is highly overrated. More of a movie that was just trying to shock with a few scenes and ideas than anything else. Its dated.

modage

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMuholland Drive, Lost Highway and others have elements of horror to them, but they are not horror films.

yeah, theyre not horror movies.  and i am going to have to be the minority and say that i dont believe, (contrary to eli roths pov) that movies like silence of the lambs or sixth sense are horror movies either.  without sounding too much like GT, it seems like in order to be a real 'horror' movie there are rules to the genre, and when it steps outside those, it becomes something else.  like a supernatural thriller or psychological thriller or whatever.

Quote from: BankyFriday the 13th Franchise

banky you actually like the friday the 13th series? more than say, the nightmare on elm street's?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Quote from: classical gas
Quote from: Bankyman i miss tremesloth and the connan avatar

its just not the same

yes!  i've always thought of him as conan, the man himself.  but now it's this ucb, which is cool; here, have some of my ass pennies...

Actually it's Stella right now.
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

Quote from: SlobhActually it's Stella right now.
yeah like i know what that is.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

Quote from: P
Quote from: SlobhActually it's Stella right now.
yeah like i know what that is.

Me and Meatwad and Fishbulb keep telling you guys, www.stellacomedy.com

I think I just became the thread ruiner again now that you're back
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Quote from: Slobh

Yes you have

Sleuth

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: Slobh

Yes you have

you guys are so cruel, somebody have mercy on me again

woe
I like to hug dogs

Banky

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetMuholland Drive, Lost Highway and others have elements of horror to them, but they are not horror films.

yeah, theyre not horror movies.  and i am going to have to be the minority and say that i dont believe, (contrary to eli roths pov) that movies like silence of the lambs or sixth sense are horror movies either.  without sounding too much like GT, it seems like in order to be a real 'horror' movie there are rules to the genre, and when it steps outside those, it becomes something else.  like a supernatural thriller or psychological thriller or whatever.

Quote from: BankyFriday the 13th Franchise

banky you actually like the friday the 13th series? more than say, the nightmare on elm street's?

no, and i feel ashamed that i left the original off my top ten list.  I was just saying the best of the franchise of F13 was good for about one movie slot on the list.  But serously im looking at my NOEL box set shedding a tear because i left the original off.  Here comes the edit

modage

seems a little generic, but maybe with some time ill discover some new favorites...

- alien
- an american werewolf in london
- bram stoker's dracula
- the evil dead
- the exorcist
- halloween
- a nightmare on elm street
- night of the living dead
- the shining
- the texas chainsaw massacre
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02

I could agree with that. I mentioned Silence of the Lambs because it does focus on a larger than life murderer and much of it is the pyschological horror of his identity, but yea, it is still thriller. I'm not sure if I like any real horror films. I do admit I've never seen any Alien film either.

Banky

you didnt like Halloween?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Bankyyou didnt like Halloween?

Years ago. My memory's quite faded of it but I don't remember being overly impressed. I thought i had to be either 'scared' or 'not'.

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteBest Horror Movies

Pay it Forward.

Oh...
Si