is fargo a true story?

Started by travisbickle1000, November 21, 2003, 06:54:05 PM

travisbickle1000

the brothers said on the charlie rose show that fargo is a true story, but the characters are fictional. Ebert says that its not, they use that opening title as a story telling device. is it just a hook, or a way of making the film feel even more disturbing that it already is? or does ebert just not know what he is talking about? neither would surprise me

Ghostboy

Ebert knew what he was talking about.

kotte

It's NOT true!

The Coens did it to open our minds about the story.

You gotta agree it works better as a true story... :)

A girl apperantly did die looking for the money Buscemi's character hid. Probably bullshit too.

Ghostboy

Beat you by one minute, Kotte!!!

I love it when people ask questions that lots of people know the answer...you'll get three people posting the exact same thing simultaneously.

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyBeat you by one minute, Kotte!!!

I love it when people ask questions that lots of people know the answer...you'll get three people posting the exact same thing simultaneously.

You feel really clever being the first to post an answere...then you feel more stupid than you felt clever when you see someone beat you by a minute.

It's meaningless to reply to an unanswered thread...you know someone's on it...  :)

EDIT: I would've won if I didn't ramble on about the girl...never ramble when things are at stake :evil:

cowboykurtis

is the neverending story true? my daddy told me it was...does HE know what he's talking about?
...your excuses are your own...

kotte

Quote from: cowboykurtisis the neverending story true? my daddy told me it was...does HE know what he's talking about?

What story?

Finn

From what I heard, on the DVD they talk about whether it's a true story or not.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Ghostboy

Your daddy DEFINITELY knows what he's talking about.

NEON MERCURY

was this movie based on true events.....?

Redlum

I watched a late night documentaary which covered the case of the girl who supposedly died looking for Buscemi's buried treasure, and most of the evidence seemed to indicate that she went out there to commit suicide. Really creepy tale. Its a shame they didn't put it on the DVD.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pro T-Bono

hopefully this might bring this post back to life....does anyone find that duping the audience this way goes beyond storytelling device and borders on immoral storytelling...?

if ever there were a code of ethics for filmmaking, lying to the audience would undoubtedly violate it...

i love this film, but i hate that they took such a liberty with the trust of the audience...
that's amazing!              Where are we?

Sleepless

Quote from: Pro T-Bonoi love this film, but i hate that they took such a liberty with the trust of the audience...

Really? I don't feel that way at all. I don't think they're abusing the audience's trust, they're just trying to get the audience in a state of mind where they're more willing to accept the chain of bizarre events that happen.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

socketlevel

right, but in a way they're destroying the validity of future filmmaking.  if anyone can just throw on a "based on a true story" the audience will question each piece's authenticity.  i think it's a cool device but the coens took it too far.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Sleepless

Personally, I think that every film which labels itself as 'based on a true story' takes liberties with the actual truth. Possibly even dicumentaries do an extent too (or so some would argue). I agree that the Coens have taken this further than most, but I still think all they've done is exploit what has become a cinematic device in order to bring the audience further into the movie. I wouldn't have thought that anyone would have gone into it believing every thing which happened on the screen. Yes, it would encourage them to think that something like this might have happened, but I think by the end of the film they've realised that's it not necessarily true - I think most audience members would be forgiving of it. All its done is encouraged them to suspend their disbelief. I can appreciate what you're saying, but I really don't think it's had a negative of the integrity of future filmmakers, or indeed the Coen brothers' own integrity.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.