Blow-Up

Started by godardian, October 31, 2003, 01:24:14 PM

godardian

dvdtimes.com:

"Warner Bros are releasing three masterworks from two of the great Italian filmmakers on February 17th in R1.

Luchino Visconti's The Damned will be in its 157-minute version in a 1.85:1 ratio, while Death in Venice will be in 2.40:1. Both will have anamorphic transfers with separate Italian and English mono soundtracks.

Michelangelo Antonioni's Blowup will be have a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, with English and French mono soundtracks.

All three will have English, French & Spanish subtitles, their respective theatrical trailers and will retail for $19.98 each"
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Mac announced this awhile ago.

But damn, it's great!!! Can't wait!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cowboykurtis

ive been waiting for BLOW-UP for years. finally.
...your excuses are your own...

cine

Honest to god, this has been a best few days of DVD news I've ever experienced. Bergman, Kurosawa, Visconti, Antonioni, Renoir, Tati, etc. I think I just might cry now.

tpfkabi

what from Antonioni and Renoir? (are you talking about Rules of the Game?)
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

cine

Quote from: bigideaswhat from Antonioni and Renoir? (are you talking about Rules of the Game?)
Blow up from Antonioni and Renoir's RotG, yes.

bonanzataz

cool. i had a hard time finding a copy of this movie and almost bought a laserdisc of it for $50 before realizing the blockbuster in a neighboring town had it. neat little flick, but i think i need to see it 50 more times.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

pinkerton310

So Blow-Up is worth checking out? Roger Ebert lists it on his 100 Great Films. Of the movies  from that list that I never saw before, I haven't been dissapointed.
They say we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of our death... everyone. The weight of a stack of nickels. The weight of a chocolate bar. The weight of a hummingbird...

cine

Yes, it really is a great movie, pinkerton. I've got it on VHS and seen it several times.
You've seen a reference to the movie before but I'm sure you don't know it: when Austin Powers is taking pictures of the models in the first movie, and he keeps getting excited shouting "yes! yes! yes!".. that's a nod to Blow-Up. Just a little trivia there for you.

bonanzataz

yeah. another thing austin powers references that i found funny was "it's my happening, and it freaks me out!" from beyond the valley of the dolls. things that made the first one so great before it turned into an orgy of how many times they could say "yeah baby!" or "shagadelic!"
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Antoinoni's Blow-Up from Warner (street date 2/17).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pro T-Bono

this is probably old news to you boys but the dvd now comes with a commentary by an Antonioni historian...exciting stuff
that's amazing!              Where are we?

cine

Quote from: Pro T-Bonothis is probably old news to you boys but the dvd now comes with a commentary by an Antonioni historian...exciting stuff
Where'd you read that?

MacGuffin

DVD Review here.

The extras on the DVD are skimpy, but there’s some useful and valuable commentary on the disc by film critic Peter Brunette. A well-respected expert on Antonioni, this film critic seems to have a comprehensive knowledge on the esoteric director.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

so I just saw this film.  It's my 2nd Antonioni film (behind L'Avventura).  I did enjoy L'Avventura more but this was very good.  The final scene is really good and tells all that needs to be said.  I know the film is kind of a look at the days of swinging london but I found that to be it's fault, it stops the film from being timeless (a la L'Avventura).

I''m sure the film benefits from multiple viewings.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"