Capturing footage (Digital, analog & even from a DVD)

Started by Recce, February 06, 2003, 12:45:09 PM

Recce

I'm sure I'm gonna look like a complete idiot, but I'm very excited. I just managed to capture DVD footage, VHS footage and TV footage using nothing but a Sony digital 8 camcorder and a low-end digital capture card. :D
I won't get into the details, since I'm sure its pretty obvious to everyone (unless someone asks me, of course).

Just thought I'd share my excitement with everyone.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Xixax

The first time I brought video into my machine and started editing it, it was a rush for me, too. I still enjoy tinkering with it all.

If you make some shorts, send them our way so we can watch 'em!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Recce

So, in case anyone is interested, here's how I captured VHS, TV and DVD footage.

Obviously, TV and VHS footage is pretty obvious. You hook up your VCR or TV to a  camera using the Jacks. You can either record on a Digital tape or hook up the firewire to the camera at the same time and just use the camera as a converter. It works the same way to capture footage from a DVD. Hook up your cameras jakcs to your DVD player and the firewire into the computer. It won't allow you to record on a tape, but it will allow you to capture. So, all you need is a digital camera and a digital capture card. Hey, I'm happy, I have no use for an analogue card.

Anyone have any other little tricks to capture footage from awkward places?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

xerxes

Quote from: Recce
Anyone have any other little tricks to capture footage from awkward places?

ok, you'll need some dark clothing, night-vision goggles and a cyanide pill