Solaris DVD

Started by modage, July 28, 2003, 11:26:11 PM

modage

i just picked up the Solaris DVD, and now that its out everyone who missed it will have a chance to see it.  it was one of my 5 favorite movies of last year.  unfortunately it was hideously overlooked because of the shit marketing campaign.   i preffered it to the original, and i think it might be my favorite soderbergh flick.  so, i just wanted to extend my recommendation to everyone, that if you havent seen this yet, you should do so.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

What's more important, having this DVD ASAP tomorrow or waiting a week so that I'll have an extra twenty bucks of spending money while I'm in Vegas? This was one of my indespinsable films from last year, too, and I'm dying to see it again, and again with commentary (Soderbergh always has the best).

Redlum

Its a pretty good dvd. I still haven't listened to the commentary which is meant to be really great, especially for exploring the the themes of the film.

It was pissing me off lately that a lot of people were saying how boring the film was. Then I saw the television spot for the dvd which might as well have begun with a trailer voice over "In a time far far away one man must fight to save...". If you watch it based on that, then you're probably not gonna enjoy it.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pwaybloe

Man, I love that poster.

edison

I dont like the cover of the dvd, they should have used the poster, much like the shitty one for Confessions.... but this was one of my faves of last year and im definately looking forward to buying this one.

jasper_window

Definitely one of the best last year.  I saw it in the theater and there were two other people.  One guy fell asleep and started snoring.  I felt like like waking him up by dumping my soda on his head and asking him why the fuck he even bought a ticket.

edison

Quote from: jasper_windowDefinitely one of the best last year.  I saw it in the theater and there were two other people.  One guy fell asleep and started snoring.  I felt like like waking him up by dumping my soda on his head and asking him why the fuck he even bought a ticket.

that would have been a waste of a perfectly good soda, but has anyone ever done that before? or something similar? or is this just one of those things we think of when the perfect time to release our act of rage passes and we regret it

jasper_window

Never have but there have been countless times when I would've liked to.  It would be kinda funny getting arrested in a movie theater for kicking someone's as because they wouldn't stop talking, kicking your seat, cell phone going off.

I actually wrote a short about a guy who goes bonkers on people in a theater, but I was never able to find a theater who would allow me to shoot.

Sleuth

I've done it before, but it has nothing to do with Solaris or movies
I like to hug dogs

Gold Trumpet

Again, I speak from the pits of the minority here, but I did not like this film. Nor do I like the original now either. The problem with the original was that it tried to be like 2001 without realizing 2001 succeeded on its length and lack of dialogue and action with mounting its story on a purely visual basis. There is little for Solaris. It mounts most of its action in a space station that could be present in any drama. There are moments of magnificent beauty, but those are very far and between.

The remake improves little. It does succeed in making the film more humanistic, but more because of length. What it doesn't do is try to reimagine the film into much of anything that is exciting apart from the original. The movie acts more of a critique of the original in saying "it wasn't as humanistic as it could have been" because it goes for specifically recreating everything that was special in the original. Where the original had truly some unique imagery and feel, the remake just tries to copy. I felt  jaded because 1.) the length of the original is more oppressive but 2.) its vision was more spetacular. The remake only differs in minor critiques as if made by a critic. Nothing enough to stomach an entire new film.

And yes, the theatrical poster is much better than the dvd.

~rougerum

filmcritic

Once again, they put out a stupid DVD cover to a great movie with a great poster. :x
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

MacGuffin

The commentary is right on on par with Soderbergh's previous excellent ones. The addition of Cameron is a bonus; he's very complimentary to Soderbergh's approach. They discuss this version compared to Tarkovsky's, how each of them would have approached things, and different ideas during post-production (using Pink Floyd or Beck to score the docking scene). Definitely worth getting for.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

because of Mac and GT I am now stepping out into the sunshine, off to Best Buy to pick up a copy.

modage

but GT didnt like the movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

poser may have been slyly waving a joke, ala you disagree so much with what someone says that anything they don't recommend is in fact a recomendation.

~rougerum