Apple laptops for editing?

Started by mindfuck, July 10, 2003, 07:36:16 PM

Xixax

Quote from: mutinycoConsidering that you can get notebooks with 1 GHZ processors and 1 GB of RAM, how much more do you REALLY need?

It's not just a question of procesing power with dual processors. It's more like a cool way of distributing load.

So, if you're doing something that bogs down a 1Ghz processor, then the other processor takes up the other tasks of running Final Cut, Disk IO or whatever. Dual processors don't necessarily make things faster like a fast CPU does - they make them run smoother. Although they *can* also increase speed by default. Two brains. They don't think the same things, one thinks about one thing, while the other thinks about something else. Just makes things run really, really smoothly.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

mutinyco

I understand. I'm not sure however that laptops will ever entirely equal desktops. There's a reason desktop units are larger. I prefer laptops simply because they go everywhere, so I can constantly do my work. But nothing's gonna beat a serious desktop unit. If you really wanted to do serious SERIOUS work you'd be better off with a kick ass dual screen home setup...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

aclockworkjj

on the topic of Macs....this kid I work with just got this...

I wanted to cream my pants....

Link

At the college I'll be attending in a couple of days, if you take 5 three hour courses and have a 3.5 avg or above, they give you a free computer, and one of the choices is a G4 Powerbook!  I've always been a PC guy, but I've wanted a Mac for so long.  I'm gonna be crackin those books!

ReelHotGames

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedjesus is a switcher

Mmmmmmm...... sacrilicious
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedjesus is a switcher

...but his hair is ridiculous.

kotte

I'll use this instead of starting a new thread.

I'm about to buy a laptop. What do you recommend? Mac or PC?

I'll surf the net, watch DVDs, scriptwriting and editing.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: kotteI'll use this instead of starting a new thread.

I'm about to buy a laptop. What do you recommend? Mac or PC?

Ok, let's see...

QuoteI'll surf the net,

Either one works great

Quotewatch DVDs,  

I like Macs better for this...

Quotescriptwriting  

Either one works great

Quoteand editing.

Mac

Overall, if you're going to be making movies, I suggest you spend some extra money and make an investment in a Mac... It can all be done on either system, but you'll feel more comfortable on a Mac.

Recce

Plus, FCP is so much pertier then any PC based software.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

SHAFTR

I plan on waiting out until next year when the G5 is in the powerbooks.  I'm going to spring for the 17 incher.

I'm a PC guy, it's time I change.  At the school I attend they have mac workstations for the production course.  I am amazed at how they handle media.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"