Joel Schumacher Pretty Much Sucks Ass

Started by Mesh, June 29, 2003, 01:39:30 PM

Mesh

In the 80s, he gave us The Lost Boys and St. Elmo's Fire.  Thanks.

Then, he started sucking and hardly turned back for a second, though he briefly considered not totally sucking when he directed Falling Down.

Pre-80s Schumacher non-Suckiness:  he wrote the screenplay to Lumet's eternally eerie The Wiz.  Gotta hand it to him there.

edit:  perhaps this shoulda gone in the Director's Chair forum.   :oops:

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

sphinx

i'm going to have to agree with this thread

Mesh

Quote from: tremoloslothYeah, what's his deal?

Dying Young is on WGN right now.  Total made-for-TV bullcrap.  Ugly sound design.  Over-the-top, emblematic lighting.  Blargh.

Mesh

Quote from: sphinxi'm going to have to agree with this thread

He didn't suck at doing costumes for a few good ones:

The Last of Sheila
Sleeper
Interiors

MacGuffin

Wait, what's this? Last I heard, Coppola was going to adapt it himself. Now he's a producer.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: tremoloslothYeah, what's his deal?

Dying Young is on WGN right now.  Total made-for-TV bullcrap.  Ugly sound design.  Over-the-top, emblematic lighting.  Blargh.

Ewwww.  He did that?  Sweet Christ, that shit gives me chills.....
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

modage

i thought this fact was so universal that it was beyond all discussion.  he gayed up the batman franchise which pretty much single-handedly buried all dc comic adaptations for 6 years.  now, before anyone takes the gay comment as negative or hateful.  nipples on the batsuit.  butt and codpiece shots.  okay?  now that we're on the same page.  if i'm not mistaken, he was not officially gay till some point during the production of one of the batman movies, which he basically used as his big coming out party.  if that were required of the character, that would be one thing.  but that is not what the character is about.  that's not what the story is.  there are entire message boards devoted to hating this guy.  i've had enough for now.  

(lost boys=80s bliss though).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

hes kind of weird - hes capable of some really good solid movies (tigerland), but then he goes and does the batman sequels - i dont quite understand it

Cecil

modage

i actually DO want to see phonebooth and tigerland, but have been holding a grudge for 6 years.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

yes i actually kind of enjoyed phonebooth - before it came out i refused to believe that the premise would work as a feature film (and i still think it would work BETTER as a short) but it surprised me

MacGuffin

I guess I'm the only one that liked "8mm" (could have been darker, yes, but I still thought it was seedy enough) and "Flatliners".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

havent seen flatliners in a while, i dont remember DISliking but really dont remember liking it too much either

i hated 8mm

life_boy

Joel Schumacher & Akiva Goldsman: Best Off-Screen Duo?