bob marley

Started by ©brad, June 25, 2003, 02:34:48 PM

©brad

who's down w/ marley?

i was talkin w/ sum ppl last night about how ppl who don't like marley generally aren't that cool. i think its the best driving/road trip music, and of course good stuff to listen to stoned. what i like most about it and all reggae is that its by and large uplifting and happy. like right now, i wuz in a bad mood cuz we're out of apple juice and my mom didn't buy anymore. i came on the computer and put on buffalo soldier and now im happy. i've been listening to sum ziggy marley lately too.

anyone else care to comment?

jokerspath

In my youth (6th grade to 9th grade) I was obsessed with Bob Marley.  Posters (over 30 different full size ones at one point, overlapping), tapestries (half a dozen), and pictures and printouts (hundreds upon hundreds) covered every square inch of my room.  I had every Tuff Gong release and probably every song from before he signed to Island (the songs are repackaged dozens of times w/ different covers and are a dime a dozen), as well as the box set and such.  A few over 30 CDs at one point.

I read every possible book and article I could possibly get my hands on, going so far as to use microfiche at my local libraries, devouring any scrap of information I could get on him. I had several T-shirts, tons of stickers, and ridiculously random Marley souveniers (pens, pins, and weird shit like that).  I had every documentary, concert film, and video biography that had seen major release.  

I recently found a notebook where I had written out by hand my own biography of him, as well as pages and pages of his lyrics (no clue why I did this).  

I paid for all of it with lawnmower jobs.  This was all before I turned 14, before the internet had taken off, where I could've accessed a lot of that information.  Then, in the summer between 9th and 10th grade I heard Radiohead's "High And Dry" and my entire life changed...

I've started to get a bit more into him now, after having got so burnt out on reggae and the whole Jamaican scene.  But, if I were to recommend albums, I'd probably go w/ the early Tuff Gong stuff, particularly Catch A Fire, Burnin', and Natty Dread.  Exodus and Rebel Music are both decent later albums and Talkin' Blues and Live are essentials.  The box set is really well put together as well...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Duck Sauce

If anybody remembers, which they probably dont, I used to have a Bob Marley avatar, making me a fan....

I enjoy him a lot, mostly his less party jams and more his redemption song sound

chainsmoking insomniac

I do like his work alot.  Unfortunately, about a year ago I lost the only album I had of his...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

I love the man " turn your lights down low"

legand is great but you have to look a little more deeeper to find some great shit

but does it get better then " wait in vain"

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantaloneslegand is great but you have to look a little more deeeper to find some great shit
I'm a new beginner so I'll start with Legend. My uncle has all the vinyl at his place so I could... no... I don't have a vinyl player.

we all start with legand, but then try his other stuff like natty dread and kaja

aclockworkjj

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantaloneslegand is great but you have to look a little more deeeper to find some great shit
I'm a new beginner so I'll start with Legend. My uncle has all the vinyl at his place so I could... no... I don't have a vinyl player.

Some recommendations....

Catch a Fire
Kaya
Natural Mystic    (the albums, not just the song)

Realize though, there are tons of different compliations, yes, the kind you can get at Best Buy for like $6...some of them are great, featuring older versions of songs, unreleased stuff, etc....and for $6....who cares

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I've recently gotten into Marley myself for the theraputic value.

That sounds like I'm on some sort of drug, dosen't it?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI've recently gotten into Marley myself for the theraputic value.

That sounds like I'm on some sort of drug, dosen't it?

"The Healing of a nation.
Herb like fruit.
Keep you healthy.
Mind clear."

Redlum

A snap I got from Glasto.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Stefen

I just heard Marleys Get up Stand Up on a "help with your erection" pill commercial. This is wrong and completely below the belt. That is all.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: StefenI just heard Marleys Get up Stand Up on a "help with your erection" pill commercial. This is wrong and completely below the belt. That is all.

I don't get offended easily... but damn!

freakerdude

I have the first edition limited box set. Bob is and will always be one of a kind in music. For what it's worth, Eric Clapton called Marley a musical genius. It took time for me to expand my base of music and I was hooked.
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

Jamie Foxx is Bob Marley
Source: Cinematical

Remember how absurd it sounded when Jamie Foxx was cast as Ray Charles? Well, prepare yourself for another outrageous announcement: Foxx is said to be starring as Bob Marley in a biopic directed by Oscar-nominee Rachid Bouchareb (Dust of Life). The film was conceived by Bob's widow, Rita, and Bourchareb says that he wants to show the reggae icon's life from childhood (he didn't lose a brother, did he?) through to his young adulthood and interest in Africa.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks