Future Tarantino: Where it's never gonna happen, but we hope that it does(n't).

Started by jtm, January 20, 2003, 09:54:48 PM

Find Your Magali

Is Inglorious Bastards still the next project? ... I can't imagine we're looking at anything earlier than mid- to late-2007.

Damn slow-working directors. ... Why can PTA and QT churn 'em out like Spielberg?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

killafilm

It's a slow burn of a movie, and it leaves you really hungry for some reason.

Pubrick

Quote from: killafilm on November 29, 2005, 02:21:33 PM
It's a slow burn of a movie, and it leaves you really hungry for some reason.

cool, so it's like barry lyndon..

Quote from: Pubrick on February 09, 2003, 10:30:17 AM
it's ekzellent, man. ; .bL. .aY. .rN. .rD. .yO. .N.

.bl. barry lyndon man, .bl. familiar feelings man. statues.

Barry Lyndon is brilliant in a way that no other kubrick film is brilliant.

i always feel hungry after it
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

In typical referential fashion, the main character is named Greenmond Barry...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino Retires From Acting, Giving Hope To Hyper, Stammering Unknowns
'I lost the bug,' writer/director says.
Source: MTV.com

During a welcome moment of comic relief in "Pulp Fiction," foul-tempered hit man Jules explains the frustrating nature of television pilots to his deadly (and Hollywood-ignorant) colleague Vincent. In "Reservoir Dogs," Mr. Orange holds a script in hand and practices a monologue, pacing around his apartment and standing on a quasi-stage in a desolate ghetto. In "True Romance," Dick Ritchie hopes to finally put his struggling-actor days behind him, auditioning for a bit part in an update of an old William Shatner cop show. To rabid fans of Quentin Tarantino, such autobiographical references to his acting career have marked some of his films' most memorable moments. But Tarantino is going to have to start looking for inspiration elsewhere.

"I just don't feel like acting anymore," the hyperactive Oscar winner said, announcing that he has retired as an actor. "I lost the bug."

Tarantino, who spent his 20s and early 30s attending acting classes while taking on bit parts in shows like "The Golden Girls," has often referred to himself as an actor who just happens to write and direct. Even after he gained his Hollywood stature, he inserted himself into films like "Pulp" and "Four Rooms" while taking on separate acting gigs in films that could be described as the good ("From Dusk Till Dawn"), the bad ("Destiny Turns on the Radio") and the ugly ("Little Nicky"). But now, Tarantino insists, he has closed the curtains on his inner thespian.

"Making a movie is so hard that I don't want to have to be working on a film unless it's my movie," he said. " 'Kill Bill' was really hard — it was really cool and everything, and it was great. But now, if I'm going to be getting call sheets in the mail and getting up at six in the morning and doing all that stuff — it's going to be my movie."

It was on the marathon shoot of the "Bill" movies that Tarantino struck up a conversation with two of his actors, Michael Madsen and Larry Bishop. Bishop, a veteran of B-grade biker movies, mentioned his script for a three-character throwback film called "Hell Ride," and the friends agreed that they would play the deadly riders. Earlier this month, the film received a green light, but Madsen revealed that they would have to re-cast Tarantino's role since his longtime collaborator had given up acting.

"I'm not going to act in it," Tarantino confirmed, "but I'm going to be involved with it, like I am with 'Hostel.' "

That upcoming horror flick has Tarantino serving as producer, a credit he has amassed recently on titles like "Daltry Calhoun" and the upcoming "Killshot." Now he will serve in the same capacity for "Hell Ride."

"It's how I started," Tarantino said of his acting, which has garnered less-than-favorable reviews that came to a boil with a 1998 Broadway revival of "Wait Until Dark" opposite Marisa Tomei. "A lot of directors actually start out as actors as they're first drawing things, and then they figure out what they're doing.

"It seems like half the directors now were on 'Hill Street Blues' one way or another," he laughed, referring to colleagues like Betty Thomas ("Doctor Dolittle") and Charles Haid (TV's "Criminal Minds"), who also lost the acting bug.

For those fans who enjoy looking for Tarantino's Hitchcockian cameos in his own films, the video-store-clerk-turned-Hollywood-heavyweight offers one last cryptic promise. "I might still act in one of my movies — we'll see," he said, refusing to completely let go. "If I do, it's because I think I'm the best guy for it, not just to put myself in."

For upcoming directorial gigs like the thriller "Grind House" and the war flick "Inglorious Bastards," then, Tarantino's fans can continue to watch for the brief, stammering bit parts they expect. The rest of those movies' characters, however, will have to find new things to talk about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tarantino and Eastwood do Boetticher documentary 
Source: contactmusic.com

Clint Eastwood and Quentin Tarantino have shared screen time to pay tribute to Budd Boetticher in a new documentary about the 1950s B-movie western director. The two discovered a joint interest in the icon and were happy to come together for the upcoming special "Budd Boetticher: A Man Can DO That".

But Eastwood admits that it was tough talking with Tarantino. He says: "The producers had me there to get Quentin started, and believe me, it doesn't take much. Quentin's interesting - he's followed lots of directors he never knew." In the documentary Tarantino admits that that Michael Madsen's character Bud in "Kill Bill" was a homage to Boetticher. 
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 03, 2006, 09:05:26 PM
Quentin Tarantino Retires From Acting, Giving Hope To Hyper, Stammering Unknowns

That sounds like an Onion headline.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/

JIMI HENDRIX Biopic To Be Directed By QUENTIN TARANTINO?
-Apr. 25, 2006 

According to Starpulse.com, Quentin Tarantino has reportedly signed on to direct the long-awaited Jimi Hendrix biopic. The movie maker is huge fan of the script of the film, according to producers at Dragonslayer Films, and will team up with Hendrix's brother Leon to tell the story of the guitar great's life.

Tarantino will have full access to Hendrix's music and likeness when he starts shooting is scheduled to begin later this year in Seattle, Washington; New York, Toronto, Canada; and London.

Senior executive producer Elle Von Lear has access to interviews and live footage of the rock legend, which will be incorporated in the film.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

I predict Tarantino will bow out to make Inglorious Bastards, staying on as producer.  Either Brett Ratner or that guy who made the John Holmes movie with Val Kilmer takes over.

Pozer

Or that Taylor Hack dude.  Or that dude that did Walk the Line.  One of those dudes for sure.

modage

Quote from: modage on April 25, 2006, 03:55:47 PM
never...gonna...happen...
Info Update on Tarantino and that whole Purple Haze of rumors!
Source: AICN

Hey folks, Harry here. I know you folks have been seeing bullshit rumors about Quentin Tarantino and a Jimi Hendrix Biopic. It's appeared on the New York Post's PAGE SIX, Yahoo and Various Music News sites... and all around the web. Well... tis total bullshit. When Quentin came over to chat tonight - I asked him if he'd heard the rumors about his next film project after he finishes GRINDHOUSE. When I said he was rumored to be making the Purple Haze of Biopics, he just began shaking his head. "Complete Fabrication." "There's not even an iota of truth to it." When I told him it was all over the web, we both began laughing. Total Lie. So what is he working on? Frankly - QT fest isn't about interrogating Quentin, it's about celebrating older films like tonight's triple bill of THE OUTFIT, DION BROTHERS and THE MUTHERS. However, we did learn tonight that Quentin has been working on a book of Film Reviews of 70's Kung Fu Films. He says not to expect it anytime soon, that it's just something he does in his in-between moments and has been working on for quite some time. Other than that, he's gearing up to start shooting his segment of GRINDHOUSE - and for tonight - that's all the news that's fit to print regarding Quentin.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

i would love to read a book of tarantino reviews. not so much strictly kung fu movies, but just great films in general.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche