Top 10 Sci-Fi Movies?

Started by modage, June 14, 2003, 10:07:53 PM

modage

Quote from: cowboykurtis
Quote from: themodernage02
i agree with your misconception but i think Alien is still both

This doesn't make sense.

this is a contradiction within a hypocritical sentence.
i agree that it is a misconception where many people think that a movie involving an alien or space is automatically science fiction.  but i disagree that alien is not.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: picolas
Quote from: cowboykurtisThere is really nothing adressed as to the social and/or existential effect this has on society/humanity.
i'd say it says people don't change even if they're in space.

I'd say the effect is that the alien was to be captured for The Company to be used as a bio-weapon against humanity.

That is an ancillary detail of the film - not a substanative theme.
...your excuses are your own...

picolas

i think it's a BIG theme. it's the behaviour of the characters. and it's different from other sci-fis where people are like "i am unsure of what to do with regards to the current etc"

Chester R Pennywinkle

Space travel? My word, I have never heard such malarkey in all my years.
Rather...

pete

where are the film school assholes when you need them?  how about the decade-long academic debate in semantics vs. syntax or whatever they say, that a genre is not compose of themes/ arcs or imageries/ devices, but an amalgram of both?  I forgot who said that.  to exclude alien from the sci-fi genre seems really petty--that just because it doesn't play like a sci-fi makes it not a sci-fi.  genre classification really is only useful when you're doing genre criticism anyways--when you're writing essays that compare and contrast a group of films.  why are you so adamant about picking off alien?  do you really want ign to bump off that spot so they can name another creature on their list?  ign never even claimed that alien was a sci-fi film--they just listed 10 scariest alien creatures in films anyways.
pseudo-intellectual pettiness and academia may both seem assholish on the surface, but at least the latter can get people to agree with their bullshit.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

cowboykurtis

Quote from: petewhy are you so adamant about picking off alien?  do you really want ign to bump off that spot so they can name another creature on their list?  ign never even claimed that alien was a sci-fi film--they just listed 10 scariest alien creatures in films anyways.
pseudo-intellectual pettiness and academia may both seem assholish on the surface, but at least the latter can get people to agree with their bullshit.

This has never been a debate about IGN's list. IGN's list is Most Hideous Alien on film - I think Alien should be #1 on this list.

However, if you had actually read the duration of the debate (or the thread title), you'd see it's a been about a question of genre. Not a quarrel over an inconsequential magazine list.

Myxo

Bladerunner is not just film noir. That's what is missing here. It is the epitomy of science fiction as well.

"Science fiction deals with the influence of real or imagined science on society or individuals."

The film is about a few intelligent androids struggling to free themselves from slavery. The whole film is framed with technology and it moves the story forward. Does anyone here honestly believe that Blade Runner is not science fiction?

cowboykurtis

Blade Runner is about as Science Fiction as you can get.

Reel

Blade runner is at #1 of my Top ten sci-fi list of all time, as I am watching it right now. The rest goes:
2001: a space odyssey
The Fly
The Matrix
Total Recall
Close Encounters of the third kind
Dark City
Watchmen
Star Trek
PDL <3

no, but seriously if that doesn't count then I guess it's...Idk, what am I forgetting here? uhhh... oh yeah, T2!

RegularKarate