Gangs Of New York

Started by ElPandaRoyal, January 08, 2003, 05:00:27 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Ok, ok... I'm from Portugal, which means I'm not going to see this movie until March or something. And I've been reading some mixed reviews about it. Some rave, some get disappointed. I wanted to know about the fans opinions... Is it any good (note that I'll see it anyway)
Si

ElPandaRoyal

Damn Damn Damn, haven't seen the same topic on the other section of this. Sorry sorry sorry
Si

MacGuffin

Damn, I thought I had my first redirect there for a sec.  :x
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Ooooooohhhhhh..... I saw it in time. eheh... It's just that I'm still warming up on this new great site... weeeeeeee  :lol:
Si

Satcho9

Is it me or was it totally obvious where scorsese was forced to cut scenes for time. For instance, the first fight scene, it had a gread build up then it goes into this corny strobe effect then this very corny new age rock music shit. This didnt feel like a scorsese moment at all, rather a montage of a once terrific scene.

Next is the whole intercutting of Amsterdam coming back and Bill the Butcher talking to Tweed. Felt a little akward.

But for all those negative things there was about 10 positive things. The end was very powerful and struck a chord with me. I dunno what it was. Well done.

bonanzataz

I have a friend who works in the film industry that says Gangs' original running time was about 3 hours and 40 minutes, or something along those lines, and Miramax made him cut it. So you probably noticed right.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Bud_Clay

I would think that a director like Scorsese would be entitled to final cut..that's tragic to endless degrees....i hope that one day the 3 hours and 40 minutes version sees the light of day.

Satcho9

Scorsese doesnt believe in directors cuts, he says what you see in the theatres is what you get. Damnit

Bud_Clay

HAh...you would think a studio making him chop off what, an hour and 40 minutes would make him change his mind about that.

xerxes

anyone else see the weird color changes midway through a couple of scenes??? i thought it was quite strange.

life_boy

Can we keep blaming everything we don't like about the film on its brush with corporate Miramax.  I think if Scorsese wasn't happy with the cut of the film that is in theaters, it wouldn't have been released until it was the cut he wanted.  Wasn't that why it had been 'coming soon' for about 2 years before it was finally released?  

As for my opinion of the film, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I loved the opening battle (especially the strobe effect) and the end.  I also thought Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible.  I did think the character flashbacks were a little out of place, though.

danniedorko

Satcho9

i dunno bout that strobe effect, pretty shitty if you ask me.

xerxes

so did anyone else get the weird color changes in the middle of a couple scenes???

Cecil

Quote from: xerxesso did anyone else get the weird color changes in the middle of a couple scenes???

i think i know what you mean. that happened to me during jeepers creepers too. im not sure about this but i was told that this is due to the film being printed on different stocks. the print(s) thats playing in the theatre, not from when it was originally shot.