Doug Liman

Started by Spike, May 28, 2003, 09:36:21 AM

Spike

Any comments or opinions on Doug Liman?

I liked GO!, SWINGERS and THE BOURNE IDENTITY very much. Liman is in my opinion an extremly underrated director.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

soixante

I enjoy Liman's work, especially Go.  He has a nice visual sense, works well with actors.
Music is your best entertainment value.

bonanzataz

Go i don't like too much, Bourne Identity was an honest to God piece of shit.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Scott to plot NBC 'Heist'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Scottish actor Dougray Scott has been tapped as the lead in NBC's hot one-hour pilot "Heist," which Doug Liman is directing.

"Heist," from NBC Universal Television Studio, Hypnotic and Sony Pictures TV, is an ensemble dramedy that chronicles over the course of a season a group of thieves' attempt to simultaneously rob three jewelry stores on Beverly Hills' famed Rodeo Drive.

Scott will play the mastermind of the operation.

Seymour Cassel ("Stuck on You"), David Walton (Fox's "Cracking Up"), Reno Wilson (ABC's "Blind Justice") and Marika Dominczyk (Fox's "North Shore") also have been cast in the show, written by Mark and Robb Cullen.

In addition to the pilot, NBC has ordered five more scripts of the project, exec produced by Hypnotic's Liman and David Bartis, the Cullens, Bernie Brillstein and Peter Safran. 
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

He's money and doesnt even know it!

polkablues

So for those keeping score, "Prison Break" capitalized on the success of "24", and "Heist" is attempting to capitalize on the success of "Prison Break".  Next season it'll be "Errands", a thrilling day in the life of some guy who's got stuff to get done on his day off from work.  McG will exec produce.
My house, my rules, my coffee

72teeth

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 14, 2005, 01:57:21 PM
Source: Hollywood Reporter...

...Seymour Cassel ("Stuck on You")...

:doh: :yabbse-thumbdown:
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

SiliasRuby

Quote from: 72teeth on November 14, 2005, 08:15:35 PM
Quote from: MacGuffin on November 14, 2005, 01:57:21 PM
Source: Hollywood Reporter...

...Seymour Cassel ("Stuck on You")...

:doh: :yabbse-thumbdown:
Jeez, Yeah that's eactly what people remember him from. The sad thing is. It's true. Most people remember him from that.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Trio emerges for 'Jumper' pic

Jamie Bell, Tom Sturridge and Teresa Palmer are teleporting into starring roles for Regency Enterprises' "Jumper," Doug Liman's first feature helming gig since "Mr. & Mrs. Smith." Based on the Steven Gould novel, "Jumper" follows a kid from a broken home who discovers that he has the ability to teleport. In his quest for the man he believes is responsible for the death of his mother, the kid draws the attention of both the NSA and another kid who has the same abilities. Sturridge will play the kid from the broken home, while Bell is the young man he meets, a jumper who shows him the ropes. Palmer will play the love interest.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jackson hops on 'Jumper'

Samuel L. Jackson is teleporting into a starring role for Regency Enterprises' "Jumper." Doug Liman is directing the sci-fi thriller, making it his first feature helming gig since "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."

Based on the Steven Gould novel, "Jumper" follows a kid from a broken home who discovers that he has the ability to teleport. In his quest for the man he believes is responsible for the death of his mother, the kid draws the attention of the National Security Agency and another youth with the same abilities.

Jackson will play the NSA agent tracking the jumper, and may have ulterior motives for finding him.

Tom Sturridge, Jamie Bell and Teresa Palmer already have been cast.

Regency, which is fully financing the picture, is planning a trilogy around the movie that also will feature extensive special effects. Shooting is scheduled to take place in Tokyo, Rome, Toronto and New York.

Lucas Foster and Simon Kinberg are producing along with Jay Sanders. Ralph Vicinanza and Vince Gerardis will exec produce. David Goyer wrote the original script, which was rewritten by Kinberg.

Jackson will next be seen in the much-buzzed-about "Snakes on a Plane." Other movies on tap for Jackson this year include "Black Snake Moan" and "Home of the Brave."

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

they are already shooting this. they were shooting right near bryant park in nyc

MacGuffin

Christensen teleports to 'Jumper' role

Hayden Christensen will star in "Jumper," a big-budget thriller being directed by Doug Liman, whose credits include "Swingers," "The Bourne Identity" and "Mr. and Mrs. Smith."

The film's production company, Regency Enterprises, has partnered with 20th Century Fox to finance the production, which sources say is budgeted in the $100 million range.

Christensen's casting jump-starts the production, which was to have begun shooting earlier this summer but had been running idle. Christensen replaces Tom Sturridge in the lead role of David; during preproduction, a decision was made to go with a more prominent actor. Samuel L. Jackson, Jamie Bell and Teresa Palmer remain with the project.

Based on the Steven Gould novel, "Jumper" follows a young man from a broken home who discovers that he has the ability to teleport. In his quest for the man he believes is responsible for the death of his mother, the kid draws the attention of the National Security Agency and another youth with the same abilities.

Christensen will play the young man who can teleport. Jackson plays an NSA agent, while Bell is the jumper who shows Christensen the ropes.

David Goyer wrote the original script, which was rewritten by Simon Kinberg. Regency and Fox hope to turn the story into a trilogy.

Christensen has the Edie Sedgwick biopic "Factory Girl" in the can as well as the dramatic thriller "Awake," in which he stars with Terrence Howard and Jessica Alba. His big-screen credits include "Shattered Glass" and "Star Wars: Episode III -- Revenge of the Sith."

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Come to think of it, this dude is actually quite talented.

Even Mr. and Mrs. Smith had style and some funny moments (if not much more). Swingers was hilarious, Go was pretty sweet and The Bourne Identity was an ass kicker in some ways. That said, I'd love to see him making a really trully great movie.

Heeee haaas the taaaaleeeeent!
This was my He-Man moment...
Si

MacGuffin

Jake Gyllenhaal flies to the 'Moon'
Actor teams with Liman for DreamWorks film
Source: Variety

Jake Gyllenhaal will team with helmer Doug Liman for DreamWorks' "Untitled Moon Project."

Actioner revolves around a private expedition to the moon and the race for lunar colonization.

Screenplay was originally penned by Liman and John Hamburg. Author-screenwriter Mark Bowden ("Black Hawk Down") did a complete reconception of the story and will pen the screenplay.

The project marks the return of Alli Shearmur, former Paramount co-president of production, who ankled the studio earlier this year. She will produce alongside Simon Kinberg and Liman.

Liman and one-time Universal exec Shearmur developed a strong relationship back when Liman directed "The Bourne Identity" for the studio. Shearmur also worked with Gyllenhaal when she oversaw production on "Zodiac."

DreamWorks has targeted the project for the fast track.

Gyllenhaal will next shoot the Jim Sheridan-helmed "Brothers" opposite Tobey Maguire.

Liman, whose helming credits include "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "Swingers," directed the upcoming futuristic "Jumper," which 20th Century Fox will release early next year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sean Penn in talks for 'Fair Game'
Naomi Watts set for Doug Liman film
Source: Variety

"Fair Game," the drama about the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame Wilson, has come together with Naomi Watts starring, "Mrs. and Mrs. Smith" helmer Doug Liman directing and William Pohlad's River Road financing.

But the big question is whether Oscar-winning "Milk" star Sean Penn will close a deal to play Ambassador Joseph Wilson.

Penn is negotiating, but no deal has closed.Pohlad has a strong relationship with Penn: he was a producer on the Terrence Malick-directed "Tree of Life," which stars Penn and Brad Pitt, and Pohlad also was a producer and financier for "Into the Wild," which Penn directed.

Wilson watched his wife's CIA status become compromised after he wrote op-ed columns that accused the Bush Administration of manipulating intelligence about weapons of mass destruction to justify the invasion of Iraq.

The project, based on Plame Wilson's memoir, landed at Pohlad's River Road after Warner Bros. put the project in turnaround.

Pic is being produced by Weed Road's Akiva Goldsman and Jerry and Janet Zucker of Zucker Productions.

WB optioned the book and set Jez and John Butterworth ("Superbad") to write it at a time when Plame was still vetting the contents of book with the CIA in 2007. WB decided to let it go and the filmmakers and their CAA reps set it up with Pohlad.

Plame Wilson left the CIA in 2005 and she and her husband filed a civil suit against Vice President Dick Cheney, Karl Rove and Cheney's ex-chief of staff, Lewis "Scooter" Libby. While Rove and Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage admitted they leaked her agency status to journalists, Libby was convicted of lying to a federal grand jury about his role in compromising her covert status.

Then-President George W. Bush commuted Libby's 30-month sentence in 2007, but stopped short of granting him a full pardon, despite aggressive lobbying by Cheney before Bush left the White House in January.

Skeleton FilmWorks