Movie themes

Started by Jack Sparrow, May 21, 2003, 08:50:13 AM

bonanzataz

Godfather, baby. Can't believe mac's the only one that brought it up. I was in the city the other day (New York that is) and this guy is driving behind my cab and he honks the horn and it plays the Godfather theme. it was funny as hell.

Also, I do like the LOTR score and the Magnolia score and pretty much all of Hermann's work for Hitchcock. I LOVE the Great Escape theme, and, OF COURSE Thus Sprache Zarathustra, theme from 2001. I don't think anybody else has said that and that's the biggest, baddest movie theme in history.

nevermind, mogwai said it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

phil marlowe

grrrrrrrrrrrreat you mention the lotr theme. it deserves to be the star wars theme of the new millenium. rest of the soundtrack is is also crrrrantasick.

Newtron

Snow Falling on Cedars, don't sleep.

USTopGun47

Most all John Williams, James Horner and John Barry
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

sphinx

i enjoy the 'waking life' soundtrack a lot, especially since after fuddling around with an accordion for a few months i see how truly impressive the accordion playing is in that film

Derek237

IMO the best movie theme ever is John Williams' theme for Born On The Fourth Of July. Sure, he's done some of the most memorable themes ever like Indianna Jones, Star Wars, and Jaws, but I find this one to be the best. Dick Dale's misirlou for Pulp Fiction is a close second.

godardian

Am I the only one who thinks John Williams does way too much to be memorable and not nearly enough to be evocative or appropriate?

"Bombastic," is the word I think of for most everything I've heard of his. Let's just say if I had to choose between Hans freakin' Zimmer and Williams, I'd choose Zimmer.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

USTopGun47

Yeah... Zimmer is more moderate...not as flashy.  Williams is very big and bold.  I loved Catch Me If You Can, though it's not that complex or anything.  And Missirlou is great in Pulp Ficition.  Born On the Fourth, the main theme they use in the opening, is also one of my favorrrrite Williams themes.  And what a hell of a movie too.   :-D
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

godardian

Quote from: sphinxi enjoy the 'waking life' soundtrack a lot, especially since after fuddling around with an accordion for a few months i see how truly impressive the accordion playing is in that film

Speaking of accordions, the Amelie score was zesty 'n fun, just right for the movie.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

©brad

Quote from: USTopGun47Yeah... Zimmer is more moderate...not as flashy.  Williams is very big and bold.  I loved Catch Me If You Can, though it's not that complex or anything.  And Missirlou is great in Pulp Ficition.  Born On the Fourth, the main theme they use in the opening, is also one of my favorrrrite Williams themes.  And what a hell of a movie too.   :-D

i dunno, i think zimmer pulls off some crazy shit sometimes. i like him though, love his stuff with ridley scott- gladiator, black hawk down, thelma and louise.

as for williams, yeah the born on the fourth score is good. my favorite is the score for JFK, especially the conspiracy theme that plays during the opening title sequence.

godardian

I have an aversion to both Stone and Williams, so... though I'd be interested to see Born, I can't put it at the top of my list.

USTopGun47

I love how Adaptation used the Turtle's Song "Happy Together."  I'd say it is comprable to Stuck In the Middle With You in Resevoir Dogs - perhaps a little better.  It was just beautiful for the ending... opening up that little bass line as he drives into the sun and then the rest following.  It's great how they manage to emphasize it so much and yet never play it... drilling it in your head with so much personality.  Wow... it totally complements the end in an emotional way that very little else can musically.  Great way of working music into film.  I'm sure there's many more films that use this same technique... though I can't think of any off the top of my head.  I don't know if Wise Up would really count.  Hmmmm...

MacGuffin

Quote from: cbrad4das for williams, yeah the born on the fourth score is good. my favorite is the score for JFK, especially the conspiracy theme that plays during the opening title sequence.

I'll second that for "JFK" and give a special mention to his score for "Nixon" that is just as great.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Yes. JFK score = excellent.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: USTopGun47I love how Adaptation used the Turtle's Song "Happy Together."  I'd say it is comprable to Stuck In the Middle With You in Resevoir Dogs - perhaps a little better.  It was just beautiful for the ending... opening up that little bass line as he drives into the sun and then the rest following.  It's great how they manage to emphasize it so much and yet never play it... drilling it in your head with so much personality.  Wow... it totally complements the end in an emotional way that very little else can musically.  Great way of working music into film.  I'm sure there's many more films that use this same technique... though I can't think of any off the top of my head.  I don't know if Wise Up would really count.  Hmmmm...

It was really cool because they'd sort of mocked the idea earlier in the film as a cliche, but then they use it and it really does work emotionally. Does anything in Adaptation have anything less than several layers, though?