Ask The Gold Trumpet

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 30, 2003, 07:35:07 PM

Gold Trumpet

Mac,
because it is small, cute and doing the same simple movements over and over again.

I hate math with a passion.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

What's the big deal about Grave of the Fireflies (I'm really askin' for it here, but I can't help myself)

I recently saw it and I liked it... but just didn't get the big deal.

Seems you kill a kid in a movie, everyone likes it.  It's almost like cheating.

Pozer

why'd you haveta give away the killing of the kid part? I was gonna rent it tonite

just kidding, man. no big deal

Gold Trumpet

RK,
I only liked it on first viewing too. I was dissapointed big time when I first saw it because the hype was so huge and it never paid off for me.

The more I watched it though, the more transcending it became. (spoilers) The movie stopped feeling like a simple orphanage of children and their eventual death, but lyricism speaking of children caught in a world completely against them. The movie is focused on the feeling of this world that nothing really became simple for me. The words were simple and the actions like a simple Italian Neo Realist film, but the film was drowned in so much feeling and shown with an utter horror and beauty that I felt the movie was more rewarding with each viewing because this became even more apparent. The world is drawn so poetically, but yet so focused on the exact details. You wouldn't realize that when the little girl realizes something is wrong with her mom and is terribly sad and sitting by herself alone as the brother watches on helpess, that the sky is painted an ominiscient orange of warning like a painting and is so deliberately focused on the feelings of these characters that after first viewings for me, it was nothing simple at all. The film just continued to grow in power and still does that new feelings begin to arise on their death, like that it wasn't just of starvation, but of them giving up on trying to live. It is the most powerful movie for me in how it shows the world and details these sad deaths instead of just showing them.

~rougerum

Gold Trumpet

Poser,
their deaths are revealed at the very beginning.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffinGT, why is Dirk's avatar so damn hypnotic?

I know it's not my thread, but I'm gonna say because IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

phil marlowe

got a couple...

- how many carat is your trumpet? i bet its just coated.

- are you somehow related to silver bullet?

- have you ever been so wasted on booze that your eyes start going blind?

- underneath. i mean, what are you wearing underneath?

- are you a goer?

- what kind of batteries do you use?

- what do you wanna be when you grow up?(you cant be bruce willis)

Pedro

What are your thoughts on Being John Malkovich?
Do you think that PTA borrows too much from other film greats?
What is the most moved you've ever been fron a movie?
What is the best acting performance ever?

dufresne

There are shadows in life, baby.

Pubrick

hav u ever done a conscious human female?
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

phil,
(in order)
24 all the way
nope
nope
my naked self
yes
duracell
who said i wanna grow up?

dufrense,

P,
yep

Pedro,

Being John Malkovich is a wildly imaginative film, but it tries to extend a small idea out way too far that for a lot of the movie, you see the characters in stand still talking about nothing really important. It needed to be thought out more.

Naw. Steven Speilberg said he didn't find his voice til many films in and was very much directing under other people's direct influence. I think Paul did two films story wise like that, but he is running by himself now. And I don't mind that he uses many shots from other filmmakers because it seems for a director to get noticed, you really must do that anyways and not just shoot straight.

Prolly from watching Hillary and Jackie the first and still only time a couple years back. I've shed tears through many movies before, but that movie was the only movie I full out cried.

The last is hard. The most impressive from recent films is Jack Nicholson in About Schimdt. Ah fuck it, I'm not sure so I will cop out and give the mundane answer of Renee Maria Falconetti in The Passion of Joan of Arc.

~rougerum

children with angels

Okay: how much does emotion matter to you when watching a movie?

I ask because there are many films that I absolutely adore simply because of the feeling I get from them. And I'm not talking here about those movies that conjour up nostalgic memories from your youth (like Land Before Time perhaps...) or those movies that you know are actually bad but you absolutely love for weird, totally personal reasons (American Pie for example - dont ask me to explain... ) I'm speaking about the potentially 'good' movies (in the sense of 'respectable', whatever that means) that you may be able to pick to pieces on a stylistic (or whatever) level, but you just don't... because, for you, they mean the world. Examples for me would be Man On The Moon (a very average biopic in many ways, but special for me because of Andy Kauffman), Vanilla Sky (I could tear it to shreds analytically, but - Goddamn - it makes me feel), or Before Sunrise (yes, it's cheesy, pretensious, other things perhaps - but it is wonderful...).

I guess what I'm basically saying is, to paraphrase my favourite movie - however overused it may be on this board: "what can you forgive?" Are your favourite movies those which manage to totally align the emotional AND the technical...? If so: you're lucky - a lot of my favourite films, I could not hold my head up and declare them in a room of cinephiles (becuase they have obvious faults which I am willing to overlook because they truly get to me)...

Anyway. What say you, sir?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Film Student

GT:

1. How old are you?

2. Do you think that computers have ruined the integrity of filmmaking?  

3.  Do you ever accidentally misspell rougerum, or is it like an automatic copy paste thing?

4.  How do you seduce (or attempt to seduce) a woman?  Do you pull out the italian neo-realist shit or do you work a clever movie quote into your come-on, like "baby wants to fuck" or something?
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Gold Trumpet

Children,
I definitely understand your dilemma. My own progress seemed to be like pure fun movies, the reject all those by trying to go for all the acclaimed films even if you really didn't like sitting through, they were watched. Now, though, I am going back to more movies that I find of my own pleasure and tying it with both kinds of movies. I really think you just need to investigate movies more. I know little compared to other people and am glad I have been able to tie in the most pleasureful and pure best films into my own experience. I think the more you want to learn and do learn about movies and its history, the more things that are pleasureful that are to be discovered. I definitely have favorites though I wouldn't say were best anything, like Die Hard and The Crow and those are great films and I love movies that can execute well on that level. Then my real favorites on both levels are the three I named before and I still watch those three more than any others continually with the exception of the Miyazaki films. You can get to that level, just need to dig more and see how different movies can be.

FS,
1.) 20
2.) Not definitively no. I've heard arguments before the computer age of how the new generation knew very little about the history of movies and able to bring anything beyond their general film schooling. I think though the computer age is rolling with the death banner and trying to promote its bullshit cause as much it really can. I think at worst, it has already defined a generation of kids who want to be filmmakers in what they believe they should do in movies and that seems less to do with developing stories and more with the banal of movies today. But, that is completely general talk. 2003 looks to be a great year for movies and Blockbuster more and more is showing indie films and they are gaining steam in popularity for wannabee filmmakers. That's great, and I am glad two worlds exist in this, but it doesn't mean this computer age isn't rooted in missused bullshit. It is.
3.) I don't know if I ever really did misspell rougerum or not. Maybe spelling that is one of my few talents. I don't know, but I don't do any paste thing.
4.) I can never pull any lines to make myself look good at all. When I say it, even I am never believing it and it is rooted in bad approach anyways. I think maybe if I was overtly attractive like a model or generally an asshole, then I may do something like that. I guess nice and try not to pull anything on the girl and one hopes that she will be so confused by this grand new approach that she will trip over herself and fall to the ground, in turn hitting me and knocking me down also, and somehow in this weird incident, my dick lands in her pussy. "Oh, I didn't see you there, miss. Excuse me" But naw, I am usually very nice and respectful and mock all the guys I know who take command from a head twenty times smaller than their major one.

~rougerum

children with angels

Sorry if this sounds a little uptight, it's just you interpreted my question in more of a condescending manner than I'd hoped... I wasn't asking for advice on how to get to the level you're on, GT.  I study film - I'm reasonably well-watched, I know "how different movies can be". I love 2001 and 8 1/2: they'd be up there for me near the top of a favourite films list... But they're not the ones that move me to tears. The ones that do that would be: Magnolia, Buffalo 66, The Ice Storm and Man on the Moon. I don't know your opinions on these movies (except Magnolia which you said isn't as good as PDL, right?), but I'm sure you - or indeed I - could make claims for all of them not being that special in terms of cinema as a whole: hell - they were all made in the last six years!

Is it a coincidence that two of your favourite movies are also seminal, defining works of cinema, or is it partly that which makes you love them (that's cool if so: I literally am just wondering...)?

Your examples of Die Hard and The Crow weren't really what I was talking about: they kind of have a get-out clause of being seen as, what is sterotypically called, 'bad movies': no-one's going to think you're judging them by the standards of 'high art'. Whereas: I say to one of my lecturers, "My favourite film is Magnolia", that movie gets judged alongside  the greats because it's somehow trying to be 'respectable', and I look like a fool who's never watched a film by Fellini. But what they don't see is that it really is the BEST film for me. In terms of what I want cinema to achieve: that is a perfect movie. And it makes me feel.

So if you watch a 'good' movie that makes you cry (Hillary and Jackie for example), totally totally gets you (therefore achieving precisely its intention) where do you begin to rate it on a list? Does it have to be able to stand up to analysis next to 8 1/2 in order for it to be one of your favourite movies? How important is emotion to you when watching a film?

Again: apologies if this sounds kinda pissed off - I'm not really: I just want to know what you think...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/