Big Little Lies

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 08, 2018, 12:33:08 AM

Jeremy Blackman

So apparently it turns out Big Little Lies is really freakin' good. The only thing keeping me away was the title, which is misleading. This is a drama that packs a punch and has shades of grey from top to bottom. A lot of fun but also really fascinating.

I'm halfway through, and I have full confidence that it's going to end spectacularly.

The performances... my God the performances. Everyone is good, but the highlights are Nicole Kidman, Alexander Skarsgård, Reese Witherspoon, and (surprisingly) Adam Scott in a completely straight role.

Oh and I love the title sequence:

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 08, 2018, 12:33:08 AM
So apparently it turns out Big Little Lies is really freakin' good. The only thing keeping me away was the title, which is misleading. This is a drama that packs a punch and has shades of grey from top to bottom. Really fascinating but also fun.

I'm halfway through, and I have full confidence that it's going to end spectacularly.

The performances... my God the performances. Everyone is good, but the highlights are Nicole Kidman, Alexander Skarsgård, Reese Witherspoon, and (surprisingly) Adam Scott in a completely straight role.

I was sure I made a comment on some other thread championing this show but can't find it, anyway, this show deserves all the awards and praise is receiving, I actually just finished my second viewing and upon that noticed the editing is also remarkable.

And yes, all the performances are really great and while Nicole and Laura deserve everything they win to me Reese Witherspoon knocked it out of the park, specially the last two episodes which of course I won't spoil for you, there's a scene on episode 6 where she was so great, let me know when you watch that ep. and I'll tell you which one.

Jeremy Blackman

Oh, agreed, the editing is spectacular, especially in the way it deals with memories.

Maybe I have very high standards for Laura Dern, but I would actually not put her in the top 3 here. Skarsgård gives a mindblowing performance, with such a high degree of difficulty. Kidman is also amazing, so honestly some of their scenes are just too much. In a good way.

©brad

The actress playing Kidman's therapist is an unsung hero for sure. So excited for you to finish it so we can discuss.

Jeremy Blackman

Ugh that was so perfect! I finished. And it lived up to all my expectations. Talk spoilers?

What a cast though, and what performances, all the way to the end. Kidman stole the show for me. Reese Witherspoon a close second... this is definitely my favorite performance of hers. So glad they all had this opportunity to show off. Skarsgard actually didn't have much new to offer in the final couple episodes, but I will not forget what he did with that character.

SPOILERS

As I've said before, I try not to "figure things out" with a show like this, and thankfully I did not. But of course the whole scenario makes complete sense. What a cathartic ending. I loved this series so much.

This, from the AV Club review of the finale, kind of nails it:

QuotePerry's behavior is in a string of horrific male behavior this episode: Joseph's abusive rant toward Madeline, Gordon's threat against Jane, Nathan and Ed puffing up their chests at the talent show. While on the surface it might seem like a ridiculous parade of idiot men, I think it's meant to show where the women find strength, and where the men do not. Even Nathan's initial chat with Ed back in episode one goes awry. They don't have the bond that these women have, the ability to draw strength from each other. We only see them confiding in their wives, and even then, that often leads to fights.

Anyway...

Quote from: Fernando on January 08, 2018, 01:41:23 PMReese Witherspoon knocked it out of the park, specially the last two episodes which of course I won't spoil for you, there's a scene on episode 6 where she was so great, let me know when you watch that ep. and I'll tell you which one.

Is it the scene where she makes that confession to her daughter?

Drenk

It was a good series. The editing is better than the way it is directed, but with performances that good it doesn't matter. I'm sad that they are making a Season 2 since the story is completely over...To continue, to transform it into an artificially on-going soap opera, is not necessary...
Ascension.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on January 09, 2018, 01:06:43 AM
Quote from: Fernando on January 08, 2018, 01:41:23 PMReese Witherspoon knocked it out of the park, specially the last two episodes which of course I won't spoil for you, there's a scene on episode 6 where she was so great, let me know when you watch that ep. and I'll tell you which one.

Is it the scene where she makes that confession to her daughter?

Bingo. I love how she goes from chastising to completely let her guard down when she confesses, and it all feels so sincere without too much drama.

We already agreed the editing was great but on that final episode it achieves levels of perfection.

Quote from: ©brad on January 08, 2018, 02:25:21 PM
The actress playing Kidman's therapist is an unsung hero for sure. So excited for you to finish it so we can discuss.

Yes, she knew right away what was happening to Celeste, loved the scene where she plays lawyer with her.

She was also good on Deadwood.