Author Topic: how would you rank his films so far?  (Read 2244 times)

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +84
Re: how would you rank his films so far?
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »

Yes.  I've occasionally heard someone describe the ending of Boogie Nights as "happy", but I could never agree with that.  It was gratifying to see them all back together (and safe? but for how long?) but just look at Maggie's blank expression in her vanity mirror, despite Jack's "I'm staring at the foxiest bitch in the whole world"...or Rollergirl lost in a daydream, looking out of the GED classroom.

Yeah, Jack's final walk through the house with Michael Penn's downer melody says it all, especially when he passes Little Bill's portrait.

Someone left this beautiful paragraph as part of a comment a few years ago:

Sometimes I think of this scene, and the way Burt Reynolds takes us through it. The way the soft, evening light leaks into the windows of the house. The way the camera hugs his back and never lets Jack leave the frame, though others pass in and out. The way the camera lingers on Little Bill Thompson's portrait, hung on the wall where he took his life. The way the mournful musical suite from the imageless opening returns, hovering just low enough in the mix. And I think, God, what a fucking film.
"There's shadows in life, baby."

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +20
Re: how would you rank his films so far?
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »
+1
That comment left me momentarily misty-eyed, for sure.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy