Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 55687 times)

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +85
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #450 on: November 28, 2017, 11:52:20 PM »

I'm pretty sure the "something special" is the film itself. I read his comment as "Even though there is technically an embargo, we've heard the film is great ".

Yeah, I thnk you're probably right.  That makes more sense, too. 
"There's shadows in life, baby."

d

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #451 on: November 29, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »
https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/126484-phantom-thread-2018

Wow! Considering the praise Greenwood's score receives that sounds even more awesome. Any Londoners here?

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #452 on: November 29, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
Tempting to travel from Paris, but it probably means there will be a premiere there a few days later.
I'm so many people.

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #453 on: November 29, 2017, 01:20:40 PM »
We were just talking about the live musical accompaniment they did for Punch-Drunk Love almost two years ago in NY & LA. It cost me $70, but I really enjoyed it.

max from fearless

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +201
« Reply #454 on: November 30, 2017, 07:23:43 AM »
Anyone looking to go to the London orchestral screening?
Tickets onsale tomorrow from 10am unless you're a Southbank member...

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #455 on: December 01, 2017, 12:30:53 AM »
I only half-jokingly suggested to someone in the PTA subreddit last night that they show up to the threater screening Phantom Thread tonight with a sign that said "Plus one?".

This was his report back to me just now:
Got in, had a "Plus 1?" sign but eventually they let anyone who wanted in.

Mogambo

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #456 on: December 01, 2017, 02:03:45 AM »
+1
What the fuck? Are enough people not going to watch it? That makes me sad.

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #457 on: December 01, 2017, 02:23:09 AM »
+3
Hi, new to the forum, I'm the PTA fan wilberfan helped out on the sub reddit.

First and foremost loved the film!

So I got there around 5 so I was waiting around a while, at 6 doors opened and another guy without a ticket saw on Twitter that the Aero theater had a standby line and wondered if the Ahrya was going to do the same.

He went inside while I stood outside with my "Plus 1?" sign. He came out and said they're letting non-rsvp's in.

I went in and the three Focus Features girls all 'awwed' in unison at my sign.

At about 6:45 I went to the restroom and came back to a full house.

I hadn't looked back while waiting for most the hour, I'm guessing the guild members/ RSVP's were not a huge number but they had no problem filling the house.

Thank god I saved my seat by putting my jacket on it, my row went from empty to full by the time I came back.

I think this movie will do just fine.

d

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #458 on: December 01, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »
We were just talking about the live musical accompaniment they did for Punch-Drunk Love almost two years ago in NY & LA. It cost me $70, but I really enjoyed it.

I will probably go to London in January but since that will be my first viewing of Phantom Thread I am both excited and slightly worried. With PDL and similar London events for TWBB, I imagine knowing the movies already makes it a different experience. I am sure it will all be nice and pro but the "mix" must be somehow different, right? Isn't live music a little bit distracting? I understand that Greenwood's score here is great but with the first viewing I would like to enjoy the movie and not listen to live concert with the movie somehow ith the background. Do you guys have any suggestions?

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #459 on: December 01, 2017, 02:45:15 PM »
That's reminds me of my last "Live Music PTA Event":  I attended the live-music "Punch-Drunk Love" here in L.A. almost two years ago.  I remember thinking that theater audio had gotten so good these days, that--sitting in the balcony, where the orchestra was out of view--it was really hard to tell the music was "live" at all.   It might have been a slightly better experience if I'd been sitting where I could see the orchestra--but then that would have distracted from watching the film.

I think I ultimately concluded that the whole thing--while awesome (and expensive)--was a bit of a "stunt".  I would have had just as good a time seeing the film "normally" with a huge auditorium full of PTA and PDL fans.  (It was the collective 'vibe' I think I enjoyed the most. It was fun seeing Luiz Guzman in the foyer after, though, too...)  I remember leaving the theater thinking, "Yeah, instead of $70 with a live orchestra, I would have had rather paid $20 just to see the film with this excited crowd."

axxonn

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #460 on: December 01, 2017, 06:06:29 PM »

I will probably go to London in January but since that will be my first viewing of Phantom Thread I am both excited and slightly worried. With PDL and similar London events for TWBB, I imagine knowing the movies already makes it a different experience. I am sure it will all be nice and pro but the "mix" must be somehow different, right? Isn't live music a little bit distracting? I understand that Greenwood's score here is great but with the first viewing I would like to enjoy the movie and not listen to live concert with the movie somehow ith the background. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Honestly, even as a Londoner I'll probably give the January showing a miss because I've got a feeling the live music will be a distraction for me - it's great for silents but I'm not convinced otherwise. Will have to wait till February for the multiplex style rollout. Which sucks.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #461 on: December 02, 2017, 07:06:26 AM »
I found this tweet for people who live in Australia:

"Sydney friends: There is an early screening of PHANTOM THREAD at the Randwick Ritz on Jan 25th at 6:30pm. Go go go!"
I'm so many people.

wilder

• Respect: +1711
« Reply #462 on: December 03, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
+6
Guys I think it's time to start separate threads for twitter reactions, critic's reviews, and awards news. There are going to be a million more awards and 140 character hot takes in the next few months. Let's try to keep this thread for spoiler-free discussion amongst xixax members. Without some level of organization this forum is going to turn into the greater internet.

Going to leave the info about early screenings members might be able to attend.

Separated threads:

Everything twitter

Phantom Thread - Critic's Reviews

Phantom Thread - Awards Ticker

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #463 on: December 03, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »
+8
Phantom Thread posters by Tony Stella