Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Just Withnail

Quote from: B on June 28, 2017, 08:11:01 PM
Also I see recent rumors that DDL is becoming a dressmaker after leaving acting? I don't know how much faith to place in this but here's one source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/daniel-day-lewis-reportedly-retiring-acting-become-dressmaker/

Woa. He's stuck. He's stuck inside the character and can't get out. It had to happen someday.

Just Withnail

Why Paul Thomas Anderson Didn't Hire a Cinematographer For His New Movie

Quote from: IndieWire
What will be Daniel Day-Lewis' last movie was known as "Phantom Thread" during production, but that will not be the title when the film hits theaters Christmas Day, IndieWire has learned.

WELL THANK THE LORD

my money is on "Re: Untitled 1950s Fashion World Drama starring Daniel Day-Lewis"

Yes

I remember crew members had "The Cause" shirts during The Master production, so Phantom Thread is probably a similar placeholder

greenberryhill

And for "The Master", they had a film slate with the name "Untitled Western" on it.

velociraptor

Pointless thought: this image of Charles James feels like it could serve as potential poster inspiration. I'm likely just saying that because it reminds me a bit of The Master

budwillies

I've noticed some stills from movies due out in 2018 have been released this week.  Maybe some stills are due out soon?

greenberryhill

I´ve been investigating (like Doc Sportello) and found some interesting information about the release dates of Paul´s trailers for his last 3 films:

(This info is about the official trailers, i´m not counting the teaser trailers release dates for There Will Be Blood or The Master)

There Will Be Blood (2007)   
Release Day: December 26
Trailer Release: September 7
3 months and 19 days before release day.

The Master (2012):
Release Day: September 14
Trailer Release: July 19
1 month and 26 days before release day.

Inherent Vice(2014):
Release Day: December 12
Trailer Release: September 29
2 months and 13 days before release day.

So with these patterns i assume we can get a trailer for "Phantom Thread" 2 or 3 months before the release day, maybe late september/early october.

budwillies

Interesting....The Churchill biopic trailer was just released and that's a Focus/Universal picture.  That isn't due out to January.

Yes

Darkest Hour releases in the states during Thanksgiving, and the trailer will probably be attached to Dunkirk in theaters

axxonn

So excited to see Lesley Manville act under PTA's direction and script! Incredible actress.

Looking at the cast list there's a bit of a Mike Leigh connection going on; I assume PTA is a fan? Has he ever been quoted on Leigh? Or vice versa?

wilder

That certainly seems to be the case. He's mentioned Secrets & Lies and Naked before but I don't remember where.

axxonn

Quote from: wilder on July 18, 2017, 07:08:35 PM
That certainly seems to be the case. He's mentioned Secrets & Lies and Naked before but I don't remember where.

http://www.indiewire.com/1997/10/an-interview-with-paul-thomas-anderson-director-of-boogie-nights-83371/

Ah, here. Thanks. I assume he'll get asked about it potentially when he does the press stuff nearer the time of Phantom Thread's release.

budwillies

Pretty slow news month, eh

Yes

The calm before the storm

Yes

QuoteKyle Buchanan‏Verified account
@kylebuchanan
I keep hearing that the Paul Thomas Anderson/Daniel Day-Lewis movie is sort of an art-house FIFTY SHADES OF GREY...

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/status/894650152115290118