Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 55542 times)

Mogambo

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +26

Fitzroy

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +11
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #466 on: December 06, 2017, 07:42:33 AM »
Hats off to Mr Johnson, that’s one of the best summations of my own feelings towards PTA’s films that I’ve ever read.

velociraptor

• The Road of Trials
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #467 on: December 08, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
+1
New little preview:

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #468 on: December 08, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »
When we all reconvene on the 26th, I'd like to discuss why he drives so fast...and she seems to care so little that he does. 
"There's shadows in life, baby."

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1343
« Reply #469 on: December 08, 2017, 09:02:32 PM »
+4
Not sure of the source, but this is interesting:
"Hunger is the purest sin"

wilberfan

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #470 on: December 08, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »
‘Phantom Thread’ 70mm Screenings Are Coming to Select Theaters

http://www.slashfilm.com/phantom-thread-70mm-screenings/

December 25: 70mm & digital

Arclight Hollywood, LA
    The Landmark, LA
    AMC Lincoln Square 13, NYC

January 12: 70mm

Alamo Drafthouse New Mission, SF
    Alamo Drafthouse Ritz, Austin
    Alamo Drafthouse Brooklyn, NYC
    The Music Box, Chicago
"There's shadows in life, baby."

csage97

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #471 on: December 08, 2017, 10:00:54 PM »
New little preview:

Lovely shots! That score is amazing. Totally reminds me of Steve Reich. I watched Dunkirk today and, although the soundtrack has some good and appropriate elements, I was disappointed with the music on the whole. I thought, man, if only Jonny Greenwood had done the score for this film! Great work by Hoyt Van Hoytema, though.

ono

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +206
« Reply #472 on: December 08, 2017, 10:26:44 PM »
Really bummed this doesn't go wide until January 19th.  At first I was wanting to see this on Christmas, but the realized that's only a limited release.  Ugh.

Not to mention, just a warning: it's probably best not to go into anything related to PTA anywhere on the Internet.  Even seemingly innocuous stuff.  I had one little thing about the film spoiled that I'd rather not know, and I'm still really finding it hard to stay away, out of boredom and curiosity.

I didn't care all that much about Inherent Vice because it was adapted material, but it's a great feeling to be truly excited about a PTA film.  Sure, I was excited about CMBB, but that came with the assurances he was doing his own riff on Oil!.  But I digress.

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #473 on: December 09, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
As if it isn't bad enough we have to wait till the 19th, we also have to settle for DCP projection while NY/LA flaunts 70MM prints.

Heisenberg

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #474 on: December 09, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
Odd that there doesn't seem to be any 35mm showings anywhere. Also, it looks like those of us who don't live in NY or LA have to wait until at least January 12th to see it. Hopefully they will do some general advance screenings before the expansion like they did for Inherent Vice.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #475 on: December 09, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
I have seen a 70mm print of IV. My sight isn't the best there is but it looked like regular 35mm. I don't see the point of making those.
I'm so many people.

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #476 on: December 09, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »
+1
I guess it's no so much that you're getting a "clearer" image like with DCP, but the fact that the film is twice the size means it doesn't have to be blown up as much to fit the screen. So, you're kind of getting a denser image, if that makes any sense.
You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

giodashorts

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #477 on: December 09, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
+1
Yes. When I saw 'Inherent Vice' on 70mm in the cinema, it was truly magnificent. The colors and the movement (of the film -- stability) was wonderful. I'd love to see 'Phantom Thread' in 70mm. Of course, 35mm would be great as well. I wonder if they did "negative cutting" on this film. It can, in some instances, be observed, in a DCP or Blu-ray, for having a slight wobble between certain cuts (at least I have noticed this on some films).

WorldForgot

• The Road of Trials
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +46
    • tweettweet
« Reply #478 on: December 09, 2017, 11:57:46 PM »
I have seen a 70mm print of IV. My sight isn't the best there is but it looked like regular 35mm. I don't see the point of making those.

Having seen both 35mm and its 70mm blow-up, for real for real that the 70 even seemed a lil crushed when compared to the 35's colors. ;_;

boogienights

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #479 on: December 10, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »
As if it isn't bad enough we have to wait till the 19th, we also have to settle for DCP projection while NY/LA flaunts 70MM prints.

DCP is fine, I actually think blowing up 35mm to 70 is dumb, like someone else said I saw Inherent Vice on 70mm looked just like a 35mm projection.

I think 35mm screenings would be cooler, but having seen it on 35mm I actually would like to see it next on a DCP, soak in the photography from a perfect scan. Just my opinion though, great film no matter how you see it though.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy