Assorted movie news

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 08, 2016, 03:51:00 PM

wilder

what the fuck

The Joker Origin Story On Deck: Todd Phillips, Scott Silver, Martin Scorsese Aboard WB/DC Film - Deadline

QuoteAn intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-'80s Gotham City that isn't meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese's films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy. I'm told that Phillips and Silver are writing already, but there is nothing firm on where this will fit into the DC schedule.

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilder on August 22, 2017, 05:26:26 PM
what the fuck

The Joker Origin Story On Deck: Todd Phillips, Scott Silver, Martin Scorsese Aboard WB/DC Film - Deadline

QuoteAn intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-'80s Gotham City that isn't meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese's films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy. I'm told that Phillips and Silver are writing already, but there is nothing firm on where this will fit into the DC schedule.

DC Alternate Cinematic Universe... Wtf, indeed.
DC/AC!

Sleepless

Mixed feelings about this. While I think it's great that they don't feel compelled to have all their stuff in a single shared universe (even their current film and TV properties are in distinct worlds) I do think we're seriously over-saturated with comic book movies and have been for years. Though the texture of the idea does sound interesting.

The most negative thing about this is the concept - an origin story for Joker. They just don't get it, do they?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

RegularKarate

and now it's been revealed that the Matt Reeve's "The Batman" won't be in the expanded universe either.

To be honest, I feel like this is the way to deal with the over saturation. The more freedom filmmakers get with these characters, the less everything will feel the same.

jenkins

this:

is becoming this:

props to the Academy for building a goddamn spherical movie museum and theater. no shit i want to see 2001 there. this is at Museum Row on Miracle Mile, next to LACMA. at least within Los Angeles, there will not be a more magnetic tourist attraction celebrating the past and future of movies. and like i said, that's within fucking Los Angeles.

wilder

Casey Affleck To Star In Joe Wright's 'Stoner'
via Deadline

Casey Affleck, fresh off his Oscar for "Manchester By The Sea," has signed up to star in "Stoner," which will be directed by Wright. And no, the movie isn't about what you think it is. Instead, it's based on the book by John Williams (not the composer), about William Stoner, a dirt-poor farmer turned academic, who emerges as an unlikely existential hero while making his way through the first half of the 20th Century. Here's the synopsis of the novel:

William Stoner is born at the end of the nineteenth century into a dirt-poor Missouri farming family. Sent to the state university to study agronomy, he instead falls in love with English literature and embraces a scholar's life, so different from the hardscrabble existence he has known. And yet as the years pass, Stoner encounters a succession of disappointments: marriage into a "proper" family estranges him from his parents; his career is stymied; his wife and daughter turn coldly away from him; a transforming experience of new love ends under threat of scandal. Driven ever deeper within himself, Stoner rediscovers the stoic silence of his forebears and confronts an essential solitude.

jenkins

wilder

'Duke Of Burgundy' Director Peter Strickland Returning With 'In Fabric'
via The Playlist

Strickland's set to begin lensing on In Fabric, next month, with Oscar-nominated Secrets & Lies star Marianne Jean-Baptiste headlining. The film is set around a busy winter sales period in a department store and will follow the various owners of a cursed dress as it passes from person to person and destroys their lives.

polkablues

That's the greatest plot summary I've ever read.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

RELEASE DATE: December 1, 2017

jenkins

2017 WORLDWIDE GROSSES

Worldwide   Domestic / %   Overseas / %
1   Beauty and the Beast (2017)   BV   $1,262.9   $504.0   39.9%   $758.9   60.1%
2   The Fate of the Furious   Uni.   $1,238.8   $225.8   18.2%   $1,013.0   81.8%
3   Despicable Me 3   Uni.   $1,015.7   $261.4   25.7%   $754.3   74.3%
4   Wolf Warrior 2   HC   $870.3   $2.7   0.3%   $867.6   99.7%
5   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2   BV   $863.4   $389.8   45.1%   $473.6   54.9%

Jeremy Blackman

Movie people who have been accused of sexual harassment or assault:

Harvey Weinstein
Harry Knowles
Devin Faraci
Andy Signore
Cinefamily
[I'm probably missing some]

The Andy Signore one came out today. At least 3 women have come out telling their stories about him. This one is kind of striking to me because I just heard him on the Slash Filmcast a couple weeks ago. They brought him on as a guest because the three regular hosts all loved mother! and needed a dissenting opinion. I was not impressed with his appearance — he had barely anything of substance to say and could not make a compelling argument. Maybe I also had a sixth sense that something was off about him, but that's probably giving me too much credit.

Anyway, here are some of the complaints against him:

Jeremy Blackman

Side note on that topic, just ran across this, which is illuminating and deeply unsettling and kind of a work of art:

Woman Takes Selfies With Her Catcallers To Show How Often It Happens

(There's an auto-play video, sorry.)

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 06, 2017, 05:35:17 PM
Movie people who have been accused of sexual harassment or assault:

Harvey Weinstein
Harry Knowles
Devin Faraci
Andy Signore
Cinefamily
[I'm probably missing some]

The Andy Signore one came out today. At least 3 women have come out telling their stories about him. This one is kind of striking to me because I just heard him on the Slash Filmcast a couple weeks ago. They brought him on as a guest because the three regular hosts all loved mother! and needed a dissenting opinion. I was not impressed with his appearance — he had barely anything of substance to say and could not make a compelling argument. Maybe I also had a sixth sense that something was off about him, but that's probably giving me too much credit.

Anyway, here are some of the complaints against him:

Update: David Chen (the host) just addressed this head-on. This makes me very happy...