The Ring & Ringu on DVD

Started by MacGuffin, January 12, 2003, 11:42:14 PM

MacGuffin

Last fall's surprise horror blockbuster, the creepy thriller "The Ring" will finally make its DVD debut on March 4 from DreamWorks Home Entertainment. Given the film's $125-plus domestic gross, it's a bit surprising this is such a feature-starved release: the film is presented in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, and includes the featurette "The Mystery of the Ring," production notes, filmographies and trailers for both the Japanese original and the US remake. Retail is $26.95. (Also surprising given the film's huge success is the rather dull new cover art. Wasn't the original much cooler?

Perhaps the best news of all for Ring-ites is that DreamWorks will also release the Japanese original "Ringu" on the same day, although specs have not yet been announced.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sphinx

that's insane!  dreamworks could have made so much money off a more sophisticated release...would have liked to seen the teaser poster as the cover.  there was so much potential.  damn.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: MacGuffin

Last fall's surprise horror blockbuster, the creepy thriller "The Ring" will finally make its DVD debut on March 4 from DreamWorks Home Entertainment. Given the film's $125-plus domestic gross, it's a bit surprising this is such a feature-starved release: the film is presented in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, and includes the featurette "The Mystery of the Ring," production notes, filmographies and trailers for both the Japanese original and the US remake. Retail is $26.95. (Also surprising given the film's huge success is the rather dull new cover art. Wasn't the original much cooler?

for the first time (EVER) the original makes the remake seem almost watchable....i've seen both versions and i have to say i have my problems with both....there is one remaining factor though that both versions have...and that is a sucky ass script....disappointing i must say...i read a review on IMDB quoting RINGU's score as "sounding like violins bleeding"...it got me enthusiastic enough to buy a region free copy off ebay and discover what a total and utter disappointment that movie really is. oh well..

RegularKarate

I really dig this movie.

I liked the original too.  I've had Suzuki's book on order from Borders for about two months now.   Maybe they'll actually get it when these DVDs come out.

I am pretty damn disapointed that there won't be many extras, but I suppose I'll still get it.

MacGuffin

RingWorld reports that the sequel will NOT have anything to do with the Japanese sequels, and a rough script will be ready by December of this year with an October 2004 release date in mind. Seems that a contact in DreamWorks has confirmed that "meetings have taken place about Ring 2. It looks like Naomi Watts has been in talks to star again, and she is about to sign. She will pull in an estimated $15 million (unconfirmed publicly) for her reprisal of her role, and the child actor will return as her son. No concrete story has been proposed, but Director Gore Verbinski may not return. The writing team will reunite. Spielberg, Wes Craven or Sam Mendes may take over the project".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

I loved the cinematography, I loved the idea, I loved the score, and I loved the previews, but I saw this movie (twice, actually, once on a plane, once on DVD) and just didn't find it scary. I thought it could have been done so much better. When I first saw it on the plane I thought, well, it's not scary because I'm on a plane and watching from a small screen attached to the back of a chair. Then, I watched it last night, big screen, surround sound, and felt like it fell flat. For one thing, the writing is atrocious. Complete garbage. Lines that are supposed to make it clever, hip, and witty such as "Could you pretend I don't read video geek magazine," or "Why don't you give me a call if you're not writing a movie about all this" really don't help. The script is there to keep the plot moving. No time is invested in the characters, and therefore, I don't give a shit if Naomi Watts (so wasted here) dies or not. As Ms. Watts arrives at her niece's funeral (the niece, as we are told, is very close to Naomi), she doesn't even seem distraught. She goes around asking the kids at the funeral if they know anything about how the girl died while reminiscing about smoking weed in her high school days!

*SPOILER ALERT* I like how it makes you think it's going to end with a sweet Hollywood ending after they free Samara from the well and then it doesn't. Then, when you look back, you wonder, what the fuck was the point of freeing Samara in the first place? It doesn't really come together in the end.*END SPOILERS*

Overall, I think it was an average popcorn flick that I probably would have enjoyed if I went with a bunch of friends in the theaters, but it could have been a memorable horror (dare I say) classic if it played its cards right. But it grossed over $100million, so I guess DreamWorks is happy regardless.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

I find this movie pretty damn creepy, and am very glad I saw it before it was spoiled for everyone by big mouthed idiots.

I know what bonanzataz means about the script, but it's not just with the Ring.  I would like ALL horror movies to just give up on "humor" or attempts.  It would make a whole lot of difference.
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Helmer Murro exits 'Ring 2'

Commercial director Noam Murro is no longer helming DreamWorks' sequel to "The Ring," stepping aside after nearly five months of development. Murro signed on to make his directorial debut on "The Ring 2" in November but since that time has faced creative differences with the studio over the direction of the franchise and decided to step aside, sources said. "This is a mutual parting based on two creative differences," DreamWorks co-head Walter Parkes said. "Noam Murro is an extraordinarily gifted director, and we intend without hesitation to try to work with him in the future." It's unclear how Murro's departure will affect the start date or the involvement of Naomi Watts, who is attached to star in the movie, a sequel to the 2002 horror film about a sinister videotape. The 2002 film proved to be a sleeper hit, grossing nearly $130 million domestically.

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

One of the many things I hate about most franchises: The revolving-door effect that cannot but tarnish the quality of the movies. If it's not Gore Verbinski and Watts and the same screenwriter all in tandem again, chances are extremely good it won't be as well done as the first one (which I just re-watched recently- a darn good little movie, and not just because I'm constantly walking those very same streets!).

If they get Joel Schumacher for it, it's all over.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

I kinda hope it falls apart...I love the first one too, and would rather just look forward to Walter Salles' remake of Dark Water.

MacGuffin

Hideo Nakata is Returning for The Ring 2!
Source: Variety

Japanese director Hideo Nakata, the man behind the original Ringu upon which the 2002 horror film The Ring was based, is in negotiations to helm The Ring 2 for DreamWorks.

Nakata will replace director Noam Murro, who dropped from the project earlier this week. The film will mark Nakata's American directorial debut now that he is no longer directing True Believers at MGM.

In addition to Ringu, Nakata also directed that film's sequel, released in Japan in 1999, a year after the first movie.

Although the first American "Ring" was a remake of the Japanese film, the "Ring 2" script, written by Ehren Kruger, will depart from Ringu 2. Naomi Watts will reprise her role in the sequel.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sissy Spacek Sees The Ring 2
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

The Hollywood Reporter says that Oscar-winning Sissy Spacek (Carrie) will return to the horror genre. She has joined the cast of The Ring 2, starring opposite Naomi Watts and Simon Baker.

The trade says it's unclear exactly who she will play in DreamWorks' ongoing tale of a mysterious videotape that proves fatal to viewers, because the Ehren Kruger script is being closely guarded. Reportedly the filmmakers want to keep a level of mystery around Spacek's character.

The film, which starts shooting in mid-May, will be directed by Hideo Nakata.

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

i haven't seen Un Chien Andalou, but after reading reviews of it i wondered if it is somewhat like the tape they watch in The Ring?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ghostboy

No; Bunuel's film has a narrative drive to it, as opposed to the Ring's collection of abstract imagery.

BTW, for some reason, the plot description of The Ring 2 piqued my interest enough that, when the addition of Sissy Spacek was announced, I suddenly found myself sort of looking forward to it. Who knows, maybe it'll actually be good.

Although I hear Daveigh Chase dropped out...but I suppose creepy little girls are never in short supply.

modage

Are You Ready to See The Ring Again?
Source: Rope of Silicon Thursday, May 20, 2004

Rope of Silicon reports that DreamWorks Pictures featured an ad in Variety on Thursday, May 13 which announced the beginning of principal photography for The Ring 2. As you can see below, the promo features Samara sitting in a chair with the word "Two" spelled out using the ring for the "o".

Naomi Watts returns to star as investigative reporter Rachel Keller in the horror sequel, which Hideo Nakata is directing. Screenwriter Ehren Kruger also returned for the script of the follow-up.

BIGGER version here... http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/Images/stories/may04/ring2promoLARGE.jpg
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.