trainspotting rerelease

Started by sphinx, April 23, 2003, 07:16:11 PM

sphinx

nope, it's not criterion, and it isn't region 1, however it could be making it's way there.

Universal will be re-releasing Danny Boyle's groundbreaking masterpiece Trainspotting on June 16th in a two disc definitive set.

The first disc will house the fully restored, uncut version of the movie which will be presented with an anamorphic transfer and both DD5.1 & DTS (full rate 1509Kbps) audio tracks. Also on the first disc is the audio commentary that featured on Criterion's Laser Disc, a selection of nine anamorphically enhanced deleted scenes (wth optional commentary) and a 9m Making Of Trainspotting featurette.

The second disc will contain a Behind The Needle documentary, five Cannes Film Festival featurettes, trailers, biographies, galleries and new & old interviews with Director Danny Boyle, Producer Andrew MacDonald, Screenwirter John Hodge & Author Irvine Welsh.

The RRP is set to be £19.99.

for region 2 only, it seems!

Gold Trumpet

There is an undying sadness among young criterion buffs who were too young to realize the history of the laser disc criterion period and only caught on to the dvd leg and realized their mantra to self love, in the shape of a movie, shall not get rereleased on dvd by Criterion likely ever. Not me, though, never seen it and not really interested to do so. I may see it sometime, but it seems pretty dark on the other side of the rainbow to me. And I personally suspect I may hate the film and have to crack the whip yet again. My wrists are getting sore.

~rougerum

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThere is an undying sadness among young criterion buffs who were too young to realize the history of the laser disc criterion period and only caught on to the dvd leg and realized their mantra to self love, in the shape of a movie, shall not get rereleased on dvd by Criterion likely ever. Not me, though, never seen it and not really interested to do so. I may see it sometime, but it seems pretty dark on the other side of the rainbow to me. And I personally suspect I may hate the film and have to crack the whip yet again. My wrists are getting sore.

~rougerum
it's quite funny. u might hav to use the subtitles option tho.

ur really missing out on a lot of good movies with this white-conservative anti-drug thing ur trippin on.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pit's quite funny. u might hav to use the subtitles option tho.

The laserdisc (that I wasn't too young to realize...blah, blah, blah) comes with a glossary.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Damn, I didn't know mislabeling could be so much fun.

*Smacks pubes upside the head*

~rougerum

Ghostboy

I wasn't too young to know about it; I had one of my dad's friends make copies of laserdiscs on VHS for me so I could watch the commentary tracks. Trainspotting was one of them. I guess I was about fifteen when that came out. Loved the hell out of it.

©brad

Gold T I think you should check out Trainspotting. I'm not sure why you are not interested in it, because of the drugs?

Gold Trumpet

naw, fear of cliches in the new geek cinema movement of the late 90s. cliches that when at its cutest, were nothing spetacular. And also a movie known as The Beach comes to mind when thinking of this director and the non impressive 20 minutes I saw of A Life Less Ordinary. I likely will end up seeing the movie sometime soon since this topic is now on my mind anyways.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

Please please please don't let those two movies influence your decision.

I did like The Beach to an extent, but it's nothing like Trainspotting.

Pwaybloe

Has anyone else seen "The Acid House?"  It's a quasi-sequel to "Trainspotting" on a much lower budget.

Redlum

Nice to see Region 2 getting some good releases for once. The Fargo SE and now this. Trainspotting deserves a high quality audio track.

The Beach had a really good story, I dont think the film was done as well as it could have been.  I think the inevitable post Titanic audiences that Leo was gonna pull in, were probably a constant consideration during production. I dont really know much about the making of this film apart from the constant news reports about them ripping some beach apart. I've got add the book to my reading list, particulalry in light of the promised, 'better' ending.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Cecil

Quote from: PawbloeHas anyone else seen "The Acid House?"  It's a quasi-sequel to "Trainspotting" on a much lower budget.

yeah and it sucked like hell. the first story was decent, but the rest.....

Moniker Jones

Trainspotting is a great film, but its rep has unfortunately been soured by hordes of college kids who don the walls of their dorm rooms with the slew of gimmicky posters for the film which hit campus store shelves back in the day.

Sadly, this happens with many truly great films.  Nevertheless, Boyle's only great film demands an American, Region 1 re-release, with much better packaging.  A Criterion treatment would be ideal, but I don't see it happening unless Michael Bay somehow gets involved.  

If there were any justice at all, every laserdisc Criterion would transfer on to DVD.

At least the 2-disc Boogie Nights DVD is a worthwhile package, if not technically Criterion.  (for those of you who didn't realize it, Criterion actually released a BN laserdisc back in 1998)
you're never too young to be the moral center of any particular universe

Mark2003

Quote from: Moniker JonesTrainspotting is a great film, but its rep has unfortunately been soured by hordes of college kids who don the walls of their dorm rooms with the slew of gimmicky posters for the film which hit campus store shelves back in the day.

I have to admit I was really surprised a while ago when a girl in a chatroom from Florida talked about painting her bedroom orange because of her love for the movie.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetnaw, fear of cliches in the new geek cinema movement of the late 90s. cliches that when at its cutest, were nothing spetacular. And also a movie known as The Beach comes to mind when thinking of this director and the non impressive 20 minutes I saw of A Life Less Ordinary. I likely will end up seeing the movie sometime soon since this topic is now on my mind anyways.

~rougerum

:lol: what is "the new geek cinema movement of the late 90s"?  i have a feeling i think i know what you mean but i would like you to explain alittle more(maybe certian films or the said cliches)  i love how you  put it like that funy stuff man................btw-the beach is o-kay, trainspotting is really good, life lessordinary is horrible, shallow grave is awesome and underRated(imo) you should AT LEAST rent trainspotting